New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cracked Sidewalls...

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I noticed a series of vertical cracks running underneath the plate of one of my Volkl Racetiger Slaloms. A few of them are fingernail deep. To what point should I send them back to Volkl for a replacement pair? I also have cracks going along the topsheet of the ski right behind the plates, but that doesn't seem to be as bad.

Any advice?
post #2 of 21
Need pictures. But it doesn't sound good. Do the cracks change as the ski is flexed?
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
I can't get a good picture tonight, but I'll post what I got now with my camera phone. The cracks don't change too much when the ski flexes (mainly due to the location, as the plate doesnt flex much).

post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Here is a better one.



When I run my finger down the sidewall I can feel where it is cracked.
post #5 of 21
Looks like hairline cracks. I am surprised to see them, but I doubt they will have any effect. I'd worry if they got big enough to let water into the core though.

Do the sidewalls have a coat of "clear" over them, that perhaps wraps around to the topsheet? I've seen that crack, and it's purely cosmetic. Definitely nothing to worry about if that were the case.
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Looks like hairline cracks. I am surprised to see them, but I doubt they will have any effect. I'd worry if they got big enough to let water into the core though.

Do the sidewalls have a coat of "clear" over them, that perhaps wraps around to the topsheet? I've seen that crack, and it's purely cosmetic. Definitely nothing to worry about if that were the case.
No clear coat on these.
post #7 of 21
I'm guessing that you could probably get them replaced by Volkl, if not under warranty, then for a small fee. Last year's skis? Like a lot of the ski, the sidewalls are made out of a substance that has to be mixed properly and cured properly, and those cracks sure aren't part of the design! I don't think that the Piston Plate has anything to do with them. I'm sure that anybody with Volkl would agree that it's not "normal."

Now, having said that, if you really like that pair and the way they ski, you may get a replacement pair that you don't like as well. I doubt if the sidewall will give you any problems; I think it's just cosmetic. Your chances of wearing them out, let alone a core shot or a bent edge are probably greater. But, if you were contemplating selling them, I think that you might have a problem. So if you really like them, and plan on skiing them into the ground, I might keep them. Otherwise, I might look into my options with Volkl. Probably no bad choice either way.
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleski View Post
I'm guessing that you could probably get them replaced by Volkl, if not under warranty, then for a small fee. Last year's skis? Like a lot of the ski, the sidewalls are made out of a substance that has to be mixed properly and cured properly, and those cracks sure aren't part of the design! I don't think that the Piston Plate has anything to do with them. I'm sure that anybody with Volkl would agree that it's not "normal."

Now, having said that, if you really like that pair and the way they ski, you may get a replacement pair that you don't like as well. I doubt if the sidewall will give you any problems; I think it's just cosmetic. Your chances of wearing them out, let alone a core shot or a bent edge are probably greater. But, if you were contemplating selling them, I think that you might have a problem. So if you really like them, and plan on skiing them into the ground, I might keep them. Otherwise, I might look into my options with Volkl. Probably no bad choice either way.
Thanks, I'm just worried about how long they will last for this year. They were new last season and were near PERFECT (condition-wise) at the end of the year, aside from some nics on the topsheets and some minor chips. I have only used them a few days so far this year (not even running gates) and they already have topsheet cracks & sidewall cracks. I'm not sure if its how I am skiing this season or what. I love how they ski and all, and I know Volkl's skis have changed very little in the past 2 years. They are the racestock flex, and I like my slalom skis soft, but could they be too soft? I don't really want to get new skis and have to take the time to break them in, esp with race season gearing up next week.

As for the piston plates, I know that the plates have nothing to do with it, I just find it weird that the cracks are under the plate and not near the tips/tails.
post #9 of 21
They may be cracked there, as it's where the sidewall is the "tallest." I just don't know. I seriously doubt if they will affect the skis much. I also doubt if it has anything to do with the relative stiffness of the ski. I might ski them over the holiday break, and see what they look like after that. If they look the same.....maybe stick with them. If not, get a replacement pair. With Volkl being in NH, and generally having a lot of skis, that should be a fairly easy thing to take care of. I really think it's a cosmetic deal, which although too bad, shouldn't affect the ski much. Sounds like you like them!

If you decide to get them replaced, I seriously doubt if it will be a problem at all. Good luck.
post #10 of 21
I would contact Volkl and get their opinion on whether or not they're cosmetic or not. There might be some adhesion issues between layers that could get worse from here, or the cracks could be a symptom of something else being wrong.

If nothing else, it gets you on their radar as "hey, I have a problem" if the skis get worse later.

I'd agree with Muleski on skiing them for now, then looking into getting them replaced (if need be) - but I'd start contact NOW just in case.
post #11 of 21
+1^^^^

Very good advice to get on the radar screen, now. RTTP, did the skis come from Volkl with the Piston Plates mounted? Or, did you buy the skis and the PP's from the same place, and have them mount them? Did you get the stuff from Volkl race, then have it mounted elsewhere?Think about who to approach with this. Gets a bit complex with race stuff...not always as simple as going back to your local Volkl dealer. I'm sure you're well aware of that. Volkl race are very good people in N.E. Good luck.
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 

So...

 

A week ago I showed up to my local mountain, expecting to get a few runs in with my friend before he was to leave for Mardigras in New Orleans. Upon arriving, I saw a bundle of gates on the ski rack, accompanied by a familiar face. Lo and behold, it was one of my friends from CSC. 30 minutes later, I found myself in the gates, and on my second run, I felt a pop on my right ski and I incidentially fell. Didn't really think much of it, and I switched over to my other friends Blizzards that he let me borrow for the week. I got home and discovered that a segment of my sidewall (at the thickest part in the ski) had came off. Not having any epoxy, I threw some CH wax on it to remedy the cracks for the week. A few days ago I was back in the gates, and it happened again, a chunk right next to it coming off, with the wax block that was used to seal the previous one. This is what it looks like now...

 

Sidewall Chunk

post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 

Also, the base underneath the crack looks extremely dried out on both sides of the ski (toward the edges)... should I even ski on these again?

post #14 of 21

I guess, looking at the images, that the issue had clarified itself. NOT cosmetic. As a furnituremaker, I tend to see things like that as going deeper on a couple levels, and symptomatic of an underlying condition, not superficial. Bad batch of sidewall or core material, failed layer adhesion, leakage or faulty mateial.

 

So, Volkl will now step up and make it right, right? Please tell us the outcome with Volkl.

post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

 

I guess, looking at the images, that the issue had clarified itself. NOT cosmetic. As a furnituremaker, I tend to see things like that as going deeper on a couple levels, and symptomatic of an underlying condition, not superficial. Bad batch of sidewall or core material, failed layer adhesion, leakage or faulty mateial.

 

So, Volkl will now step up and make it right, right? Please tell us the outcome with Volkl.

 

Hopefully they will pull through... I'll have an update next Friday when I can get back up to the shop.

post #16 of 21

Hope you took my advice and got on the radar screen early! =D

post #17 of 21
Thread Starter 

Yea, the shop looked at them a month back and said to keep skiing them.

post #18 of 21
Thread Starter 

The skis were sent out sometime last week (I checked up there last yesterday and they were gone), but now I have a NEW problem. My lovely Volkl WC 187 GS skis, which have been cycled a dozen times, have a perfect grind, and even have Jimmy Cochran's signature on them, have a section of the edge coming off of the ski (right behind the plate). Parts of the sidewall are inbetween the base and the core now, and the edge is separated for about 6-7cm of the ski, 1-2mm thick at the thickest part... I really have no idea how it happened as I absolutely baby them.

 

wth...

post #19 of 21

Dare we challange the overall quality?  Whare were the problem boards made?

post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 

... Germany... hell, it can't be the quality in that case. Maybe they are fakes, or maybe I am just doing something wrong...

post #21 of 21

They'll make great wall art and you wont feel guilty for not using them anymore.

 

The reminds me I had a monogrammed Calibri cigar lighter that started to malfunction (they all do...overpriced garbage).   I explained my situation to customer service.  They sent me my lighter back with new guts....now I realize that cant be done with a ski (well, they probably could but would not) maybe they will reward you with new skis and let you keep the damaged ones...its just landfill to them anyway.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion