EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Whistler Dec 19-25 trip, need advice... (reschedule?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whistler Dec 19-25 trip, need advice... (reschedule?)

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I've been closely watching the snow conditions at Whistler, and they appear to be abysmal and in dire need of fresh snow. Looking at the long range forecast, it doesn't appear that much is on the way in the near future.

Given a seat sale on our local carrier, I can rebook our entire vacation to mid-March for a 150 dollar penalty. Question is, are conditions that bad right now to justify such a move? I'm leaning towards yes, but your opinions would be appreciated.

Oh, and I have to rebook TODAY.
post #2 of 13
For $150, assuming you have no problems getting the time off work in March, I'd probably re-book. The snow *should* be a lot better then.

Disclaimer: I haven't been up there yet this winter to see what their snow is like right now, but I know they don't have a lot of it and most of their terrain isn't open yet.
post #3 of 13
That would be $150 well spent.

I can't even justify the $25 in gas to get up there right now (and I have a free lift ticket ! )
post #4 of 13
Quote:
That would be $150 well spent.
Amen
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the advice guys.

Unfortunately, after speaking with the airline they don't calculate their change fees in the manner I had thought. It would have cost nearly 600 dollars once all was said and done. Looks like we'll be heading to Whistler after all! On a positive note, they are now expecting 5-10cm on Wednesday, and potentially a fair sized dump on Sunday. My fingers are crossed!
post #6 of 13
Good luck, but it was somewhat beyond dreadful this weekend in terms of conditions, and a demo derby with plenty of out-of-control boarders and beginners. ONLY on-piste, and even then, things that are always open aren't - it's pitiful (and dangerous).

See what you can negotiate with your airline - it was REALLY bad, and 50cm would barely make it a little better.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
Good luck, but it was somewhat beyond dreadful this weekend in terms of conditions, and a demo derby with plenty of out-of-control boarders and beginners. ONLY on-piste, and even then, things that are always open aren't - it's pitiful (and dangerous).

See what you can negotiate with your airline - it was REALLY bad, and 50cm would barely make it a little better.


There is no negotiating with Air Canada unfortunately. They (much like other airlines) are quite rigid with their change policies. I'm almost considering cancelling my Whistler hotel room and Pricelining something in Vancouver for the week. That way we could drive to Mt. Baker or something. At this point, I honestly don't know.

The latest weather models show that potential weekend storm to now be only grazing Whistler. This could change with the next run, but its not looking good.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
... and now the lifts are falling apart.

Great.
post #9 of 13
For what it's worth, a good whistler snow report site is http://www.whistlersnowreport.com/ which I've been checking for some years now. You can also see archives to figure out what the base was in years past to see that, yes, conditions are fairly miserable right now. For example, it looks like the base is still not where it was in 2005 at this point which was an all time bad year. BUT, I do see snow forecast for Sunday, though...here's hoping it's a lot!
post #10 of 13
Speaking of Whistler - we're headed there in mid-April. Are there any viable shuttle options from Seattle-Whistler, or better to just rent a car?


Thanks

Dave
post #11 of 13
Rent.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post
Rent.
+1

And hope you get an immigration person at the border who's having a decent day.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
+1

And hope you get an immigration person at the border who's having a decent day.
Regardless the price I've seem for bus or train, I think you must RENT, even more if you are 3+ persons.

Not the first time I read something about how Can immigration can be worse.

I've crossed Canadian boarder few times and fortunately experienced a good treatment.

- From-to US69-Port Huron, IL. A lot of documentation and car check it out(back in 2002 tense times).
- Also, another one, up to US91 and back down from US87 and no problem at all. I can remember how people there nicely help us, checking our bills in order we can get the max refund

May be a West board issue ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Whistler Dec 19-25 trip, need advice... (reschedule?)