EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Northeast Night Skiing Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Northeast Night Skiing Question

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Anyone know of an area that might be open for Night Skiing on Christmas Eve?
post #2 of 26
That's mid week... so it might be hard to find night skiing.
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
I know, it's a Wednesday. Figured I'd ask.
post #4 of 26
http://www.greekpeak.net/events/skiride-free.aspx

Might not be what you had in mind but....
post #5 of 26
Bolton Valley has night skiing from 4 to 8 every Wed - Sat nights & every night during Holiday periods. I'm not sure if that includes Christmas Eve this year but it's probably worth giving them a call to confirm.

http://www.boltonvalley.com/mountain/night_operations/
post #6 of 26
No skiing Christmas Eve Day after 4.
post #7 of 26
How 'bout Windham in the Catskills &, more likely, Jiminy Peak/ Brodie in the Berkshires. Thank me later.
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by playrink View Post
How 'bout Windham in the Catskills &, more likely, Jiminy Peak/ Brodie in the Berkshires. Thank me later.
Jiminy is closing at 4 on 12/24 and Brodie closed years ago (~2002)
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiking4 View Post
That's mid week... so it might be hard to find night skiing.
??? Really?? most of the areas around me have night skiing every night, except for a few that don't have it Sunday nights. At the 4 mountains within a half hour drive of me (Greek Peak mentioned above is one of them), ALL are open on Wednesday nights. Xmas eve is a different story though, most are only open until 4pm.

My guess is that Greek, while free that day, will probably close at 4 or 5.
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
My guess is that Greek, while free that day, will probably close at 4 or 5.
In previous recent years, Greek didn't have night skiing until after X'mas. This year they open night skiing early. So, who knows what they would do on X'mas eve.
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanwmr View Post
In previous recent years, Greek didn't have night skiing until after X'mas. This year they open night skiing early. So, who knows what they would do on X'mas eve.
Greek Peak will close at 5 on 12/24.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
??? Really?? most of the areas around me have night skiing every night, except for a few that don't have it Sunday nights. At the 4 mountains within a half hour drive of me (Greek Peak mentioned above is one of them), ALL are open on Wednesday nights. Xmas eve is a different story though, most are only open until 4pm.

My guess is that Greek, while free that day, will probably close at 4 or 5.
Lucky! I barely know any resorts that have weekday night skiing.

Me and my limited mind lol
post #13 of 26
Cranmore will have night skiing New Years Eve, but not Christmas Eve.
post #14 of 26
The best night skiing area to my knowledge is Mont Ste Anne, if that's not too far. Over 2000ft vert served by a nice warm gondola.
post #15 of 26
Mont Ste Anne will close at 3:45 Cristmas Eve.
post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 
You see, I have this Santa costume and I've been meaning to wear it skiing on Christmas eve, for years... I'll contact the ski areas mentioned above.
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiking4 View Post
Lucky! I barely know any resorts that have weekday night skiing.
Wow that sucks, my condolences go out to you, if it weren't for night skiing, I'd be stuck on weekend warrior status and I wouldn't be able to let myself do anything, but skiing on weekends.

Seems like a bass ackwards business model to me. Night skiing seems more attractive mid week when less people can get out during the day. On weekends everyone is tired out from skiing all day and bail at 4 or 5. Midweek you can grab the "hit the hill after work" crowd.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
You see, I have this Santa costume and I've been meaning to wear it skiing on Christmas eve, for years... I'll contact the ski areas mentioned above.
If you wear it Christmas Eve day at Camelback you can ski free: info

They are only open to 5 though
post #19 of 26
Camelback will be open Chritmas Eve as late as any of the areas mentioned so far in this thread and later than all but maybe one.

Free skiing deals are always mob scenes, but if your reason to ski 12/24 is to wear a Santa suit, this has got to be the place. Take lots of pictures and post a report.

This could become an annual gathering of a particular skiing tribe. I bet you will not be the only Santa there who rips. Get some action shots as well as the mandatory group portrait.

I encourage anyone reading this to rent a Santa suit and ski Camelback for free Christmas Eve.
post #20 of 26
Try looking at Shawnee Peak in Bridgeton, Maine.??

They light up the whole hill. Nice mountain.

Christmas Eve??....
post #21 of 26
Shawnee Peak will close at FOUR on Christmas Eve.
post #22 of 26
telerod, you seem to be utmost authority on ski area xmas eve closing times.

Planning a trip yourself on 12/24?

Or are you just less lazy than the rest of and actually went looking instead of merely speculating?
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
telerod, you seem to be utmost authority on ski area xmas eve closing times.

Planning a trip yourself on 12/24?

Or are you just less lazy than the rest of and actually went looking instead of merely speculating?
I was wondering about that myself.
post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
Alas, it's looking as if I'll ski hard at Hunter all day Tuesday, and will probably be too tired to ski on 12/24. Also, rain is predicted.
I had planned on skiing on Monday 12/ 22 and then on 12/24, but my schedule seems to have changed.
Maybe I'll get out in my Santa Costume and ice skate at Rockefeller Center.
post #25 of 26
I've sort of made skiing on 12/24 part of our family Christmas tradition, although it's only my niece and I who actually participate. I'll be making a day trip out of Boston, so I fact checked playrink's Massachusetts suggestions (no, I will not be 'thanking you later', playrink) and after that I've chased down each rumor just because I was surprised but sceptical that the ski areas would be open the night before Christmas.

You all should get computers that have Google, it's great!
post #26 of 26
[

You all should get computers that have Google, it's great![/quote]



Ya, I gotta get me one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Northeast Night Skiing Question