New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BURRRRRRRR..........

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
.......THAT'S COLD!

Snowbowl is closed today due to extreme cold. 23 below zero without wind chill. Wind chill values as low as 50 below!!

The Bowl will reopen Thursday when a balmy, high temp of 3 is forecast.
post #2 of 12
Silver did the same postponed opening until it warms to the high 0's.
post #3 of 12
Geez, are they worried people won't be able to light their joints if its that cold. Its as cold at Bridger Bowl and they're going to operate 7 lifts today as soon as it gets up to a balmy -20.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
It was wicked bitter up there yesterday, but in spite of the great snow conditions, the wind was chasing people off the hill. I have a wind burned goggle mark and was only up there for a little over an hour (I had to go to work and the lift didn't load until 1pm ).

Unlike Bridger, the only skiing available, so far, is up top, in the most severe wind and temps. I don't think it's a bad decision. The Lavelle chair is only 1000 vertical feet, and there really isn't enough time for people to get warm skiing it, before getting pummeled with wind on the lift again.
post #5 of 12
One advantage of Bridger Bowl is they have a lodge near the base of the upper lifts. It allows you to ski a few runs then go in and warm up without having to go back down to the base area.

Yesterday Bridger was somewhat shielded from the winds. Temperatures were 0 to -8 while I was up there. The problem was when you were moving you created your own wind chill. I only skied a few runs before I decided to be prudent and call it a day.

All of the terrain at Bridger, except the new chair, is open. Coverage is great for this time of year. It's even better than normal early January coverage. They got lots of snow in October and November that went through numerous thaws and freezes creating a solid, well set base under the recent snow.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
The ski patrol warming hut is at the top of the mountain, so people can get out of the cold without going to the bottom, but it's not lodge type situation.
post #7 of 12
Maybe this blast will kill some pine beatles. The NW needed this.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
Maybe this blast will kill some pine beatles. The NW needed this.
A good point, though I think CO needs it more than the NW.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
One advantage of Bridger Bowl is they have a lodge near the base of the upper lifts. It allows you to ski a few runs then go in and warm up without having to go back down to the base area.

Yesterday Bridger was somewhat shielded from the winds. Temperatures were 0 to -8 while I was up there. The problem was when you were moving you created your own wind chill. I only skied a few runs before I decided to be prudent and call it a day.

All of the terrain at Bridger, except the new chair, is open. Coverage is great for this time of year. It's even better than normal early January coverage. They got lots of snow in October and November that went through numerous thaws and freezes creating a solid, well set base under the recent snow.
sounds about like Red Lodge yesterday-the snow was great-boot top to knee deep blower pow in places, but we were getting pretty frozen and had to thaw every few runs. Skied from 9:00 am (the warmest part of the day) till about 1:30, called it quits.

-22 at my house in Billings this am-
post #10 of 12
Looks like the arctic blast really made a beeline through Oregaon and into Idaho and Montana. So far precip is light in the Tahoe region. Its cold (+10F), but not like you are experiencing. Good call on installing the weather strips and window seals.
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
Looks like the arctic blast really made a beeline through Oregaon and into Idaho and Montana. So far precip is light in the Tahoe region. Its cold (+10F), but not like you are experiencing. Good call on installing the weather strips and window seals.
It didn't come though Oregon to get to us, it came straight down from the north, there was a moist air system that came from the West that met with it and created the big dump, but now there is just cold coming from N by NE. Now we need a pinapple express to come from the SW and collide with it over head.

If I hadn't weatherized, my next moths power bill would be a doozy. There was one end of the door bottom that was a bit higher than the rest (though I couldn't see light under it), and the cold creeped under it and frost formed on that corner of the door.

The truck almost didn't start, I plugged in the engine block heater last night too, but the plug was dirty and corroded (the protective cap had come off who knows when), so it did little good. I just sanded of all the dirt and corrosion though, so tonight it should keep my block from turning into a steel ice cube.
post #12 of 12
Its really cold in southern alberta too.
Castle got a nice dump but didn't open this weekend.
I went for a run last night though, and it was cold in the lungs!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel