EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Binding mounting question...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Binding mounting question...

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I just bought a New pair of K2 Apache Stryker skis with the Marker MOD 12.0 bindings.

I snapped the bindings together with the correct indicated boot size, slid them on the "rails" and locked them into place.

Is there anything beyond this required for mounting these bindings? Seems pretty simple to me, so I feel like I'm missing something.
post #2 of 12
Make sure (visually) that the midsole lines line up correctly (the numbers on system bindings are merely suggestions!) Check the forward pressure setting, and torque test. New bindings have failed before...
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

Binding mounting question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
Make sure (visually) that the midsole lines line up correctly (the numbers on system bindings are merely suggestions!) Check the forward pressure setting, and torque test. New bindings have failed before...
Bindings are in the exact same spot on both skis. What is the forward pressure setting? What is the torque test? How do I know if the rear binding is in the correct spot on the boot? It seems like a really good fit to me, but a couple of clicks either way seem okay too.

Thanks.
post #4 of 12
Make sure the forward pressure is adjusted right -- this is absolutely crucial to proper binding function. If you don't know what that means, take it to a shop. It's not something to fool around with.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Make sure the forward pressure is adjusted right -- this is absolutely crucial to proper binding function. If you don't know what that means, take it to a shop. It's not something to fool around with.
Is the forward pressure the tension that goes from 3 to 12? I'm looking for info to get smart. I'm not familiar with the terminology. The bindings went on easily. Almost too easy.

I dialed the bindings down to 3 and locked the boots in, it took a little pressure to pop the toe out. Bindings appear to function as advertised. I'm just tinkering with my brand new set up. If that's wrong, then I'm on the wrong forum.

I will go to a shop before I ski, but I've ran into the "We can't touch your bindings" in the past, so I want to get smart before some smug little punk in a ski shop gives me flack for not speaking his language.

Any knowledge I can get here is appreciated.

~fish
post #6 of 12
Nope, the 3~12 setting is for the release. At the ski shop you'll answer questions about your skiing ability, age, height and weight, they'll check the length of the boot sole, and set the bindings to the release called for on charts something like these. Then every good shop will test the release to see if the actual release matches the indicator markings and set the binding for the correct actual release.

The forward pressure is the final adjustment for the length of the boot sole. The proper "squeeze" when the boot snaps in is essential for proper release and proper retention when the boot vibrates partway out and the binding needs to pull the boot back in.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftSnowGuy View Post
Nope, the 3~12 setting is for the release. At the ski shop you'll answer questions about your skiing ability, age, height and weight, they'll check the length of the boot sole, and set the bindings to the release called for on charts something like these. Then every good shop will test the release to see if the actual release matches the indicator markings and set the binding for the correct actual release.

The forward pressure is the final adjustment for the length of the boot sole. The proper "squeeze" when the boot snaps in is essential for proper release and proper retention when the boot vibrates partway out and the binding needs to pull the boot back in.
How do they measure this pressure?
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
How do they measure that pressure?
post #9 of 12
The 3-12 is the release tension (we often refer to it as the "DIN setting). That needs to be set appropriate for your height, weight, boot size, skill level, and possibly age. A shop will be able to tell you the correct setting.

Forward pressure is what keeps the boot pressed against the toe piece and it assures the bindings release when they are supposed to and don't release when they are not supposed to. Bindings typically have a "macro" adjustment for boot size and a "micro" adjustment for forward pressure.

You can't test binding function by popping the toes out by hand -- they need to be torque tested by a shop. This is to ensure that the DIN setting is correct. The scale on the bindings is a rough adjustment, while the torque test allows them to dial it in if needed.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I will go to a shop before I ski, but I've ran into the "We can't touch your bindings" in the past, so I want to get smart before some smug little punk in a ski shop gives me flack for not speaking his language.

If you've been told that before, it's because your bindings were probably too old and were no longer indemnified. A lot of people walk into shops with ancient bindings and find out that the shop can't work on them. Basically, if the manufacturer no longer indemnifies the bindings because of age, a shop won't touch them.
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Any reputable shops in Reno, Carson City, North Shore?
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
My base ski shop is taking care of me. $10 for the adjustment, and $8 for the hot wax. Thanks for the inputs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Binding mounting question...