or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Insurance for instructors

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I found this in my inbox this morning:
http://www.psia.org/01/home/sportsins.asp
For $185/year, it covers instructor injuries and liability for third party injuries. The third party cover is important, that was the only risk you couldn't insure, except through BMC, which cost ~$80/day.
I think PSIA did something good for us.

BK
post #2 of 16
Does it cover you for ALL times on the hill or only when you are teaching?
post #3 of 16
It looks like your covered when you are only teaching. The down side is that with insurance comes a great chance of a lawsuit. Did they really do us a favor, or will this become a new nessasary expence as a ski instructor?
post #4 of 16
"Get insurance that goes everywhere you do with SportsInsurance.com's supplementary accident and professional liability insurance. This policy is designed specifically for snowsports instructors and provides coverage during teaching or training for skiing and snowboarding. For just $185 a year, PSIA-AASI members who are Level I and above and in good standing can get up to $50,000 in accidental medical coverage and up to $1 million in professional liability coverage."

If it's paid training wouldn't you be covered under the workers comp umbrella anyway? Unpaid training is another matter though. Especially PSIA CLINICS where participation includes signing a liability waiver. Which also brings up the question if the liability coverage is really for clinicians more than for line instructors on the clock. Not sure but don't most lawsuits involve the employee but target the ski area because they have much deeper pockets?
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Does it cover you for ALL times on the hill or only when you are teaching?
Teaching is the only time I have any risk that makes me uncomfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcarver61 View Post
It looks like your covered when you are only teaching. The down side is that with insurance comes a great chance of a lawsuit. Did they really do us a favor, or will this become a new nessasary expence as a ski instructor?
That has not happened in other businesses. Employees generally don't carry their own liability insurance, but contractors do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherskipro View Post

If it's paid training wouldn't you be covered under the workers comp umbrella anyway? Unpaid training is another matter though. Especially PSIA CLINICS where participation includes signing a liability waiver. Which also brings up the question if the liability coverage is really for clinicians more than for line instructors on the clock. Not sure but don't most lawsuits involve the employee but target the ski area because they have much deeper pockets?
This isn't a replacement for workers' comp, and it's not for employee instructors. What interests me about is the third party coverage. If I'm conducting a clinic, I can get waivers from the students that protect me from their claims, but if one of them injures a member of the public by doing something at my direction, the injured party can come after me. That's the only risk I need to insure. I have medical coverage for injuries, and an injury that prevented me from skiing would probably increase my income.

BK
post #6 of 16
Two things are needed. Each of us needs to know how the employer ski area will cover their employees. Anyone interested in this insurance needs to download a copy of the policy and read and understand the fine print before you buy it. How about these items...

$5mil aggregate liability. Does that mean that after their are five claims for $1mil each, there is no more liability coverage for the rest who paid for coverage?

"You must report immediately to Us
any occurrence, loss, damage or expense which may be covered under this Policy. To the
extent possible, this notice should include: full details of how, when and where the
occurrence, loss or damage took place; the names and addresses of any injured persons and
witnesses; and the nature of any injuries to persons or damage to property."

"You shall not, except at Your own cost, admit any liability...." I guess one could say, after a mishap, "sorry, but..."

"this policy does not apply to “punitive or
exemplary damages”"

"Exclusions
We will not pay expenses for “bodily injury”:"
Athletics Activities
To a person injured while practicing, instructing or participating in any physical exercises or games, sports, or athletic contests."

And, I'm sure there are more parts of the policy that merit examination.
post #7 of 16
Over were we live and work our liability insurance is not more than 35USD. Problem is that customers own insurance does not cover injuries that take place while racing or being coached. Such an insurance cost 15USD for kids a year but for adults its much more expensive (200USD) and for retired people it is not even possible to get one. My total value of insurance per year is about 500UDS covering everything (all normal sports and competitions) except off pist skiing (I dont do climbing or parashuting).

Its good to check out what your insurance covers and tell them everything you do. There are surpricing gaps in what insurance covers.
post #8 of 16
FWIW, the CSIA/CSCF/CASI dues cover liability insurance for all members: https://www.snowpro.com/members/e/me...insurance.html
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftSnowGuy View Post
Two things are needed. Each of us needs to know how the employer ski area will cover their employees. Anyone interested in this insurance needs to download a copy of the policy and read and understand the fine print before you buy it.
Of course you need to look at it carefully, but I think the point of this iis not for employees but for self-employed instructors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftSnowGuy View Post
How about these items...

$5mil aggregate liability. Does that mean that after their are five claims for $1mil each, there is no more liability coverage for the rest who paid for coverage?

"You must report immediately to Us
any occurrence, loss, damage or expense which may be covered under this Policy. To the
extent possible, this notice should include: full details of how, when and where the
occurrence, loss or damage took place; the names and addresses of any injured persons and
witnesses; and the nature of any injuries to persons or damage to property."

"You shall not, except at Your own cost, admit any liability...." I guess one could say, after a mishap, "sorry, but..."

"this policy does not apply to “punitive or
exemplary damages”"

"Exclusions
We will not pay expenses for “bodily injury”:"
Athletics Activities
To a person injured while practicing, instructing or participating in any physical exercises or games, sports, or athletic contests."

And, I'm sure there are more parts of the policy that merit examination.
I didn't see the exclusion for "Athletic Activities." I'm not sure how that applies to skiing. Maybe it just applies to competitions. The other exclusions and conditions seem reasonable to me.

BK
post #10 of 16
Hmmm... Not an area employee? How many instructors are not part of a school associated with a ski area? Especially if they are PSIA members, which is who they are offering this coverage. Sounds like the national office saw enough worth to allow this insurance company to solicit our members participation.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherskipro View Post
Hmmm... Not an area employee? How many instructors are not part of a school associated with a ski area?
The Eskimo Ski Club is one example:
"Since 1940, The Eskimo Club has been providing transportation to Winter Park and teaching kids to ski and, more recently, snowboard. Thousands of children have become proficient skiers and riders through the Eskimo Club. This program cultivates independence, self-reliance and time management skills as some of its many benefits. Members range from nine to seventeen years old."
http://www.eskimoclub.com/

Where I teach there are adult multi-week groups and a kids race group that are not ski area employees...the adult groups are PSIA.
post #12 of 16
Just wanted to bump this up for a refresher.
Anybody have any further information on the SportsInsurance.com that is offered through PSIA?
post #13 of 16
Yes. It's not a personal medical insurance policy; it's a liability/medical policy for those that may get hurt skiing with you. 

I checked this with an insurance agent who is involved with PSIA-E and PSIA.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo View Post

Yes. It's not a personal medical insurance policy; it's a liability/medical policy for those that may get hurt skiing with you. 

I checked this with an insurance agent who is involved with PSIA-E and PSIA.
 

Excellent information.  Thank you!
post #15 of 16
 This is an important thread, I suggest pinning it.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftSnowGuy View Post

Two things are needed. Each of us needs to know how the employer ski area will cover their employees. Anyone interested in this insurance needs to download a copy of the policy and read and understand the fine print before you buy it. How about these items...

$5mil aggregate liability. Does that mean that after their are five claims for $1mil each, there is no more liability coverage for the rest who paid for coverage?

Yes you are correct. The aggregate is the maximum the policy will pay out regardless of how many claims are made, if you want additional coverage an umbrella policy will procide additional limits.

"You must report immediately to Us
any occurrence, loss, damage or expense which may be covered under this Policy. To the
extent possible, this notice should include: full details of how, when and where the
occurrence, loss or damage took place; the names and addresses of any injured persons and
witnesses; and the nature of any injuries to persons or damage to property."

This is just the insurance companies way of saying tell us about an incident in full as soon as possible. They want to get involved with a claim early as evidence indicates the earlier an insurance company get involved with a claim then the less it will cost.

"You shall not, except at Your own cost, admit any liability...." I guess one could say, after a mishap, "sorry, but..."

This is the same policy that applies when you are in a car accident. By all means get the police involved and tell the truth about the details of the incident but do not say "it was my fault". Let the police or the courts decide who is at fault.

"this policy does not apply to “punitive or
exemplary damages”"

Punitive damages are damages in excess of those required to compensate the plaintiff for the wrong done, which are imposed in order to punish the defendant because of the particularly wanton or willful character of his wrongdoing

"Exclusions
We will not pay expenses for “bodily injury”:"
Athletics Activities
To a person injured while practicing, instructing or participating in any physical exercises or games, sports, or athletic contests."

The policy does not pay for injuried to the instructor.

And, I'm sure there are more parts of the policy that merit examination.

If you have any additional insurance specific questions pm me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching