or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Which areas to leave out of our CO trip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which areas to leave out of our CO trip - Page 2

post #31 of 61
I say don't scratch ABasin. Lots of important particulars are being discussed here but to an out of towner spending a day here and a day there, the bigger resorts have a sameness about them. ABasin is a different experience
post #32 of 61
How would you guys spend a 3 day weekend at your choice of Breck, Beaver, Vail, and Keystone?

The concensus here is to forget about Breck and Keystone correct? If so, shoudl we spend 2 days at vail or 2 days at BC?
post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post
How would you guys spend a 3 day weekend at your choice of Breck, Beaver, Vail, and Keystone?

The concensus here is to forget about Breck and Keystone correct? If so, shoudl we spend 2 days at vail or 2 days at BC?
Yes, drop Breck and Keystone.

Vail and BC are excellent - the choice depends upon priorities.

If you're better skiers and prefer double-black steeps, BC is the choice.

Highline at Vail also has some decent frontside expert terrain, but nothing like Golden Eagle or Grouse Mountain at BC.

On a powder day, if you like a 7-mile wide expanse of fresh snow, Vail's the ticket.

Groomer runs are top-tier at both mountains, but I'd give Vail the edge, due to quantity.

I split my weekends between both mountains. Each is among the world's best, in their own way.
post #34 of 61
Breck sucks. Great town though.
post #35 of 61
Don't miss BC. Who cares about steeps, the bar at the bottom of the Arrowhead lift makes the worlds best Bloody Mary's
post #36 of 61

Don't cross off Breck for steeps

The runs off the T-Bar and Imperial chair are among the best along the I-70 corridor for wide open steep-if conditions warrant and coverage is good,..this is steep terrain-far steeper than anything at BC (except for maybe some short pitches) or Vail-you can scrape body parts when turning if-I haven't experienced A basin-so can't say

The double black rating on Grouse at BC is more due to big monster moguls which form on the fairly steep terrain there IMO, Birds of Prey is not that steep except for the very top-an excellent run non the less

I love BC, but when my out of town ski buds come out to CO, we always make a point of skiing the high bowls of Breck for a day-the snow gets wind blown, and it can be nasty, but the rush of Horseshoe Bowl cannot be underestimated

http://picasaweb.google.com/creedl20...06752340622114

here is a pretty poor short vid of my buddy Ed skiing the fall line in Horseshoe last spring-sorry for the poor quality

The bottom of Breck is a crowded mess, but up high you can find some pretty amazing skiing
post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal to colorado View Post
The runs off the T-Bar and Imperial chair are among the best along the I-70 corridor for wide open steep-if conditions warrant and coverage is good,..this is steep terrain-far steeper than anything at BC (except for maybe some short pitches) or Vail-you can scrape body parts when turning if-I haven't experienced A basin-so can't say

The double black rating on Grouse at BC is more due to big monster moguls which form on the fairly steep terrain there IMO, Birds of Prey is not that steep except for the very top-an excellent run non the less

I love BC, but when my out of town ski buds come out to CO, we always make a point of skiing the high bowls of Breck for a day-the snow gets wind blown, and it can be nasty, but the rush of Horseshoe Bowl cannot be underestimated

http://picasaweb.google.com/creedl20...06752340622114

here is a pretty poor short vid of my buddy Ed skiing the fall line in Horseshoe last spring-sorry for the poor quality

The bottom of Breck is a crowded mess, but up high you can find some pretty amazing skiing
This is an accurate summation. But, I'd place A-Basin at the top of the steeps camp - not just for pitch, but for the dicey terrain - especially Upper East Wall.

Horseshoe bowl has righteous steeps, as do some areas under Chair 9 on Loveland. You get a fluttery feeling just looking down.

The downside is that all 3 get blasted with arctic winds due to high, open exposure (all close to 13,000 feet).

BC is lower, protected in the trees, yet plenty steep. They don't run World Cup downhill races there for the sushi.

If your timing is good, any of these will pucker your nether regions.
post #38 of 61
Thread Starter 
How much hiking is involved with loveland. one of my tripgoers is pressing for it but its so hard to get everyone in my group to hike to anything. is the mountain very dif for those willing to hike and not willing to hike. it seems that a large majority of the advanced runs are hike to
post #39 of 61
My $0.02, as a Utah native who cut his teeth skiing the steeps along the Wasatch Front, in order:

- Vail, preferably on a weekday.
- Beaver Creek - it's a great mountain with tons of terrain and a laid-back vibe.
- A-Basin for the retro stuff (reminds me a lot of Alta), make sure there's enough snow for Montezuma to be open.
- Copper on a weekday, if you can, as it's a fun mountain with a lot of long, undulating steep runs on its eastern flank.

There's four days of skiing right there. If you want to tack on a half day on the way back to Denver, hit Loveland on the way out: fun local area, some great terrain there (when the weather is clear), and easy on and off of I-70.
post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato View Post
Horseshoe bowl has righteous steeps,
Kinda weird that "Horsehoe Bowl" would be considered the "steeps" at Breck. One part of the bowl runs about 40 degrees (Lulu) but the rest is far less. It doesn't even compare with the steepest stuff at Breck which is all of Lake Chutes past Easy Street and Peak 7 off the summit.

Quote:
BC is lower, protected in the trees, yet plenty steep.
IMO, for long, steep, sustained mogul runs there's nothing in Summit County that compares with BC.
post #41 of 61
+1 on Breckview.

Horseshoe bowl is just the warmup course. Good terrain, but nothing to distinguish it from other Summit County resorts. That's why the Imperial chair transformed the mountain, and made it the great mountain it is today.

Mike
post #42 of 61
I think loveland has some of the easiest access to expert terrain. You can do lots of laps on rainbow and over the rainbow under chair one with no hiking. Chair nine gives great access to lots of difficult stuff with zero hiking too (at most just a skate of a hundred yards or so). The lifts may be slower, but there's no lift lines (like at breck) so I think you can get in more quality skiing, especially on a weekend.
post #43 of 61
It's true that Horseshoe isn't Breck's big gnar. Lake Chutes and Snow White are more akin to some things at A-Basin.

We don't do Breck much due the the mass of humanity -worse than Vail (per acre), with fewer places to hide - Peak 10 is the best bet.

Imperial Chair seems closed too often due to wind, so you take what's available off the T-Bar; Horseshoe and Cucumber Bowl.

The other issue with Breck's upper terrain is scouring. I've taken several core shots mid-season, underestimating the thin coverage. Breck's wind strips accumulation up high.

Breck obviously works great for a lot of people.

I prefer Beaver Creek and Vail.
post #44 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato View Post
Lake Chutes and Snow White are more akin to some things at A-Basin.
Snow White isn't in the same league as Lake Chutes. Neither is anything at A-Basin except Upper East Wall.

Quote:
Imperial Chair seems closed too often due to wind, so you take what's available off the T-Bar; Horseshoe and Cucumber Bowl.
I ski Imperial Express Chair pretty much every day once Lake Chutes opens. Really don't notice it closed very often.
post #45 of 61
Thread Starter 
haha for awhile i was thinking BC stood for british columbia but yes i see now beaver creak. i like the idea of abasin being like alta loove me so of that. most of the posts were so helpful so i do appreciate it. i kinda put the trip together but everyone is like we need to go here or there and i ask have you looked at the trail map? and they just reply with a huh...anyway i think beaver creek is somewhere i really want to check out is there any selling points for my snowboarding friends? i wanna race them on birds of prey and kick there asses hehe. also on a day thats really really snowy and windy where would you go for the best wind protect freshies with not alot of crowds. for example last year at tahoe we had the best conditions at sierra at tahoe...they opened up another side of the mountain and i was able to do laps next to my fresh powder lines as we were the only ones around ugh god i cant stop thinking about it
post #46 of 61
Bigest bang for the buck I know in Summit County is E Chair at Breck.

Laps on E takes 10 minutes if you are an expert skier. 10 people in line would be considered a crowd, any day, all season.
post #47 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Louie View Post
Laps on E takes 10 minutes if you are an expert skier.
Cool. Sounds like a challenge to me
post #48 of 61
Strato

Yep, because of the alpine terrain, a lot of terrain can be wind affected at Breck. But that just means that other exposures have the snow that's been stripped from those wind affected areas. When the IC is down, you can ski E chair, or take the T-bar to boundry chutes, or drop in on Peak 7 and still get lines off of Magic Carpet and Art's Bowle. I think all of those shots are steeper than Horseshoe Bowl.

Mike
post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Louie View Post
Bigest bang for the buck I know in Summit County is E Chair at Breck.

Laps on E takes 10 minutes if you are an expert skier. 10 people in line would be considered a crowd, any day, all season.
That's how I measure my condition. At the first of the season, I have to stop three times to get down Mineshaft. Quickly, I can do it non-stop. Once I can do it non-stop ten times in a row, I'm in ski shape. I can't remember ever having a wait in the E-chair line.
post #50 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post
Strato

Yep, because of the alpine terrain, a lot of terrain can be wind affected at Breck. But that just means that other exposures have the snow that's been stripped from those wind affected areas. When the IC is down, you can ski E chair, or take the T-bar to boundry chutes, or drop in on Peak 7 and still get lines off of Magic Carpet and Art's Bowle. I think all of those shots are steeper than Horseshoe Bowl.

Mike
for sure=don't count out Breck for the steeps.
post #51 of 61
Bingers - on a really snowy and windy day, as you say, you will not even make it to Beaver Creek from Dillon. Plus, I think you'd be nuts to drive past Vail, even if you've already been there a day.

Breckenridge seems to be getting a bad rap. I've been there once and loved it. Imperial Bowl is fantastic and the Lake chutes are pretty incredible, really. Steep stuff. Breck is a huge mountain, as is Vail. Both allow many types of terrain for many types of conditions.

A-basin, on the other hand, is small and has less variety than any of the others mentioned. I haven't been there since the Montezuma expansion, but other than Pali, I find it unremarkable. Plus, you don't get a lot of vertical out of the runs. East Wall is nothing special unless you want to hike all day. I'd scratch A-basin.

Copper is a must-hit. Lots of great terrain on both sides. You can't go wrong. Only problem with Copper is that the slower lifts are where the better terrain is, but at least its not as crowded there.

So, to sum it up-

Copper
Breckenridge
Vail
Vail (depending on driving conditions)
post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogophers View Post
Breck sucks. Great town though.
You, have obviously not had the pleasure of experiencing Breck with someone who knows the mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Louie View Post
Bigest bang for the buck I know in Summit County is E Chair at Breck.

Laps on E takes 10 minutes if you are an expert skier. 10 people in line would be considered a crowd, any day, all season.
UL, thanks to you and your friend Chuck, Breck is one of Mr TC's favourites and that says a lot!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post
Cool. Sounds like a challenge to me
BF, you taking another double dog dare?
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
BF, you taking another double dog dare?
How about next time we ride E chair, I'll race you down?





I double dog dare ya!
post #54 of 61
Two notions:

1-skip Copper
2-this thread needs more dog pix.
post #55 of 61
BF if we race then who'll be behind me to pick up my

SugarCube, you're right we need more dogs!!
post #56 of 61
Adding to the confusion - info for ONE day in CO (visiting my kid at CU)? And it will be Sunday Prez Day weekend - AAAAHHH. I've skied Summit Co (altho only Abasin and Copper recently) and never been to Vail or BC. Steeps, trees, and less people sounds good, so maybe we should make the trek? What would driving time be from Boulder to Vail or BC?

Eldora is out; she has a pass and no classes Tuesdays and Thursdays.
post #57 of 61
That's a bad day as Summit/Eagle county will be covered up. Your best bet is to get out of Boulder EARLY -- leave by 6:15 and drive to Beaver Creek. If you get out of Boulder by 6:15 it will take you about 2:30 to get to the Beav. If you leave at 7, it will take you 2:30 if you are lucky to get to Summit county. Plan on a long ride home as the traffic will likely be horrendous coming back -- perhaps 3 hours from Summit county.

Mike (5 minutes from Boulder)
post #58 of 61

Breck

Typical weekend lift line at Breck:

post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogophers View Post
Typical weekend lift line at Breck:
Yea, the lines are so long nobody comes here any more... How was the skiing today up there in the arctic? Pretty good here today with two feet of fresh up high, sunny 25F. And no lines except the Rocky Mountain chair which for some reason attracts tourists like lemmings. That must be where you skied when you were here that one time. Was it President's weekend?
post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post
Adding to the confusion - info for ONE day in CO (visiting my kid at CU)? And it will be Sunday Prez Day weekend - AAAAHHH. I've skied Summit Co (altho only Abasin and Copper recently) and never been to Vail or BC. Steeps, trees, and less people sounds good, so maybe we should make the trek? What would driving time be from Boulder to Vail or BC?

Eldora is out; she has a pass and no classes Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Go to Loveland. It will be far less insane than all of the Summit/Eagle resorts. Plenty of good skiing for one day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Which areas to leave out of our CO trip