EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Are 195 BROs and Hart Boss the same? No
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are 195 BROs and Hart Boss the same? No

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I have tried to find the answer to this question for awhile. This is what I have recently discovered:

1) same dimensions
2) Made at different locations; BRO = CH; Hart = IT
3) Different cores = BROs made with world Cup core and Metal; Hart = wood core
4) BROs extra layer of dampening rubber.
5) Different top sheet material

I'm not 100% sure of this, but conversations with the manufacturer has revealed that the BRO is made with higher quality materials, all around.

Can anyone confirm or deny?
post #2 of 19
I had the same thought last year...I'm not sure either way. Tyrone can for sure say. One other thing was discussed...
Hart Boss and Blossom Canalone are the same skis, both manufactured in thesaem plant in Italy.
I planned to go up to the factory store this fall and check but I haven't even started my ski season yet...
post #3 of 19
They ARE the same.
post #4 of 19
world cup core? but they are not race skis? therefore they have just a wood core...
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
I was told that there IS a difference. It has something to do with the density of the wood, along with the type of woods that are used in the cores.
The reference to World Cup makes me believe that the cores in the BRO 195 is the same as the core in AK designed world cup race skis.

Phil you sound sure. I used to be that sure, but after a 20 minute conversation with the manufacturers, I decided to post this thread.
post #6 of 19
Phil you deleted my psa for cheap skis where is my explination pm as posted in your stupid gearsale guidelines sticky?
post #7 of 19
I have a pair of Hart Boss' in a 193. Got them for MrTC, but I think I may try them just for kicks!
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyons View Post
I was told that there IS a difference. It has something to do with the density of the wood, along with the type of woods that are used in the cores.
The reference to World Cup makes me believe that the cores in the BRO 195 is the same as the core in AK designed world cup race skis.

Phil you sound sure. I used to be that sure, but after a 20 minute conversation with the manufacturers, I decided to post this thread.
Keeping in mind that niether PM Gear or Aldo designed that 195 Ski.

I have never skied either Ski. However i have handled both. I first handled the 195 Bro, then later handled, picked up and hand flexed (The Boss) It hit me right away, (THIS IS THE SAME SKI)

And the Hart rep Told me where the ski was made, I then knew where the PM Gear Super Bro was made.

So Two skis made in the same factory for two differnt companies.

did each company purchase and dictate what materials were to be used in the Ski? Or does the Factory making the Ski procure the materials?

I'll eat my hat if the two ski's were not pressed in the same plant with the same molds and lay-up's

They are very well made Skis.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyons View Post
I have tried to find the answer to this question for awhile. This is what I have recently discovered:

1) same dimensions
2) Made at different locations; BRO = CH; Hart = IT
3) Different cores = BROs made with world Cup core and Metal; Hart = wood core
4) BROs extra layer of dampening rubber.
5) Different top sheet material

I'm not 100% sure of this, but conversations with the manufacturer has revealed that the BRO is made with higher quality materials, all around.

Can anyone confirm or deny?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT View Post
Keeping in mind that niether PM Gear or Aldo designed that 195 Ski.

I have never skied either Ski. However i have handled both. I first handled the 195 Bro, then later handled, picked up and hand flexed (The Boss) It hit me right away, (THIS IS THE SAME SKI)

And the Hart rep Told me where the ski was made, I then knew where the PM Gear Super Bro was made.

So Two skis made in the same factory for two differnt companies.

did each company purchase and dictate what materials were to be used in the Ski? Or does the Factory making the Ski procure the materials?

I'll eat my hat if the two ski's were not pressed in the same plant with the same molds and lay-up's

They are very well made Skis.
Something sounds fishy here...
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
I have a pair of Hart Boss' in a 193. Got them for MrTC, but I think I may try them just for kicks!
I have not seen any ski with the same demensions as your 174 BRO's (Beatifull SKI) But feel the top sheet on your Bro's and the BOSS. Look at the workmanship, do a close comparison.
Think they might have come from the same factory ?
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
Something sounds fishy here...
I don't think (FISHY) as if its a bad thing. Last year the BRO was HUNFREDS OF DOLLARS less than the Hart Boss, and I like Phill So I kept my mouth pretty much shut. But now?

Lets let it all hang out.
post #12 of 19
I've never seen the Hart Boss personally, but I do believe that they are pretty much the exact same ski.

As I understand it, they (the Boss and the SuperBro) are also the same as the ultra-rare AK Skis SuperSalmon. A few years ago, Ak Skis made the Super Salmon as a longer, burlier version of the 180 AK King Salmon. AK Skis USA distributor however did not import any of the Super Salmons into the States. The SuperSalmon was all black except for a subtle AK Skis logo on the forebody. There was a video floating around a few years ago of the AK SuperSalmon being shown off at the SIA Show by AK Skis but I haven't seen it in a very long time.

Anyway,when PMGear first struck up a relationship with Aldo Kuonen of AK Skis to manufacture some of our skis, we thought it made sense to import the SuperSalmon into the States with a PMGear topsheet. (We chose an all black topsheet and decided to call it the SuperBro as an homage to the SuperSalmon's lineage). We thought it made sense because it gave us an additional ski in our quiver and it was a ski that really wasn't given much exposure in the US yet and was already a proven design.

PMGear has always disclosed that the SuperBro was based upon the enlarged version of the AK King Salmon in the product description on our site: http://pmgear.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=86

Little did we know however, that at the same time we were having these discussion, Hart seems to have been doing the same thing, and brought the ski in (the SuperSalmon) as the Fuelie Boss with their own graphic.

With the exception of the SuperBro, every other ski in the PMGear lineup is our own in-house concept and design.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT View Post
I have not seen any ski with the same demensions as your 174 BRO's (Beatifull SKI) But feel the top sheet on your Bro's and the BOSS. Look at the workmanship, do a close comparison.
Think they might have come from the same factory ?
I'm with you, baby, I'm confident the Boss and the 195 Bro are the same.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxman View Post
world cup core? but they are not race skis? therefore they have just a wood core...
Surely you jest. I know for a fact those cores come from a private forest of north facing Titanalia universitas-vas trees.
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
I spoke with someone else, but I defer to Tyrone!
post #16 of 19
Both skis come off the same line in the Blossom factory. A bit more history, when i was still with Hart, I wanted to produce a Boss in a 185 thinking it would be a good addition to the model line, a ski for mere mortals. Knowing that PM offered the same ski Splat and I talked about sharing the cost of the mold, which is damn expensive at $7,000+. We both saw that there was not enough demand to add this ski, shame, I thought it would be a blast.

I do have a pair of these Boss's still in the wrapper, that I need to move. Any reasonable offer will be accepted.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Both skis come off the same line in the Blossom factory. A bit more history, when i was still with Hart, I wanted to produce a Boss in a 185 thinking it would be a good addition to the model line, a ski for mere mortals. Knowing that PM offered the same ski Splat and I talked about sharing the cost of the mold, which is damn expensive at $7,000+. We both saw that there was not enough demand to add this ski, shame, I thought it would be a blast.

.
I had actually forgotten that part!! ^^ The 185 version would indeed have been nice.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
when i was still with Hart
Still dying to know when and why that changed, and what you're doing now....
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
I had actually forgotten that part!! ^^ The 185 version would indeed have been nice.
These are my 189cm 120-92-110 Hart Boss skis. They crush anything at any speed. I figure they are the ski equivelent to a fright train! Lot A Ski for most.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Are 195 BROs and Hart Boss the same? No