or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › 08-09 Blizzard Magnum 8.7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

08-09 Blizzard Magnum 8.7

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Details of the day and the skier:

Conditions: Okemo, manmade fresh over hardpack

My specs: 5’10” 200 lb. Skiing 30+ years. Gear junkie by trade.

My own equipment: (as of 12/7/08 6:15 PM EST, Subject to change.)

Boots:
Dalbello Krypton Pro ID

Current Skis/Bindings:
Blizzard Magnum 8,7, Marker 5/14TT IQ
NeverSummer 102, Marker Jester
Rossignol 9X, Rossignol FKS15
Elan 888, Marker Jester

SKI TESTED:09 Blizzard Magnum 8.7, Marker 5'14TT IQ, 174cm 128/87/113 18.5M TR

Skiing style/technique: I am heavy on my skis. I tend to muscle a ski. I ski with a compact low stance.

Preference in skis: I like a ski that will hold and carve through a turn. I also like a ski that can handle moguls.

Initial Impression: My initial impression with Blizzard IQ goes back to there days when they were distributed by Dalbello. I was really not impressed do to the simplicity of the design and IMHO a sub par binding. I DID like the Titan Nine of the same generation. I skied the Cronos which was the replacement for the Titan was not near the same power as that ski.

Along comes the new Magnum series. The feel of this 8.7 is closer to the feel of the old Titan Nine than the Cronos. In hand flexing, the Magnum has a lot of spring In hard snow it head very well and the 18M TR really allowed a much tighter TR. For a 87mm waist, the ski is very nimble and I had no problem linking shorter turns on varied conditions and steepness.

Binding: The IQ TT Marker slid into the track better than the previous design and is a much more solid interface. I usually ski my bindings at a 12 DIN, and these did release as expected set at an 11. Both Lola and I noticed that the new TT heel (See: Jester/Griffon) required much more force to engage than a traditional heel.

What I am disappointed in is the way the IQ is attached with a single screw. Blizzard is touting one of the benefits of the design is the ability to swap skis and binding interfaces. The center screw on the magnum series just goes into the ski, where as the Titan series has an integrated threaded nut imbedded in the ski, IMHO a better design. This is only an issue if you plan on taking the bindings on and off regularly.

Overall: The Magnum has a very substantial feel on the snow. I like these much more than any of the Fuel series from Nordica, Magfire's from Elan or Crimson skis from Atomic. I will say what I do like about the IQ is that it is lighter than most integrated bindings, for a big powerful ski, it was light and nimble without being tossed around. For someone looking for a powerful frontside wider ski, this and its little brother the 8.1 should be on your short list.
post #2 of 30
Nice review.
You're still spreading misinformation about the Cronus. The "real" Titan 9 was the 92 mm ocean liner, and its replacement was the Argos, from beefy metal layup to mission (backside at speed). The 86 mm 181 cm that you owned and I still do was for uh, lighter skiers (read girls and guys my size) . The Cronus, by contrast, was clearly designed to compete with the 84/94 Wateas and the Mojo 90; similar wood/carbon construction and 50/50 mission. You don't like it, I mostly do (wish it and the Argos were a bit wider), all good.

Ptex says that the wider Blizzards will all have the metal nut next year. Last year (my Cronus model, the white one) was just a hole in wood too. I get a feeling there's a lot of development going on in a hurry at Blizzard, for better or worse...

Trying to get a grip on a comparison I know. If your 8.7's not like the Crimson or the JF, and I assume it doesn't overlap with your 888's, and seems lighter and less damp than a iM88, and it's obviously not like the Cronus for you, do you see it as more like the AC's, or maybe a grippier Fury? (Running out of points of reference here)
post #3 of 30
Thread Starter 
The 8.7 skis a lot different than the 888, it is nimblier and quicker edge to edge, the 888 has a much longer turn built in, 21M vs. the 18.5 of the 8.7. I would be happy with either ski to have but with my son taking the 888's over, there will be less overlap for me to use.

I am looking to get on the AC50 to compare the two, we currently stock the AC50 and I would like to be able to get into the ski deeper with customers. We currently don't stock Blizzard, but they are our top choice for adding a line for next season. I haven't skied the Fury's though.

As far as the Nine vs. Cronos, I feel the Cronos is the one that is built for smaller skiers with how soft it is. The Titan Nine was a great hard snow ski for hard snow skiers, the Cronos is a great soft snow ski for lighter skiers.
post #4 of 30
My 2 cents:
To steel from Phils Phormat.......

Details of the day and the skier:

Conditions: Crystal Mountain, Michigan. Surface varied from hard pack to chopped powder depending on where the wind blowed.

My specs: 42 YO female 5'6", 130 lbs.

My own equipment:
Boots: Dalbello Krypton Kryzma ID, Dalbello Krypton Storm ID
Skis:
Blizzard Mag SL 155(Marker)
Hart F17 168(Rossi FKS)
Soft Bro 174(marker Duke)
BlueHouse MR 171(look)
New additions:
Blizzard Mag 8.1 172
Blizzard Mag 8.7 174

Ski Tested: Blizzard Mag 8.8 174 with 5/14TT IQ
This ski was purchased for Mr TC, but he's been too lazy to ski yet this year, so I decided to take 'em out for a spin.
I initially skied the Blizzard 8.7 on some serious hard pack, and wasn't sure I liked it. I felt as though the binding was set a tad far back for my likes. When I had a chance to switch skis, I realized that it wasn't the ski, it was me! I was just in a weird funk, argh!

Here we are, a week later, and I took the time to take them out again. Initially I went out on some chopped powder left over from the 18" Dump the day before(Of course we get a dump while I was in meetings, argh!!!!)

I took a few warm up runs, on some Blues with a fun surprise. wow, these get over on edge, with sweet response to skier input. The performance was equally responsive.

If I could change one thing about this ski, I would mount the binding +1cm, and get them in a 167 for my size.

Having skied this ski back to back with the Blizzard Mag 8.1, I would pick this one over the 8.1.
post #5 of 30
Thread Starter 
You should be able to adjust the binding forward by setting the toe piece for a bigger boot and the heel for a smaller one. I would be interested in your view on the 8.7 in a 167, a ski more suitable for your size.
post #6 of 30
I guess I'm not as techie as I thought I was, because I'm not sure how to do that with this binding interface.
post #7 of 30
It's very simple. Take the binding off (undo the one screw holding the whole thing on and slide it off.) Move the toe piece one notch forward on the track and move the heel piece on notch forward on the track. Put the binding back on and ski.
post #8 of 30

Blizzard Magnum 8.7 vs 8.1

Hi Trekchick,

I am interest in both 8.7 or 8.1 to complete the quiver with my gotamas. Can you give us more details why you would pick the 8.7 over 8.1.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
My 2 cents:
To steel from Phils Phormat.......

Details of the day and the skier:

Conditions: Crystal Mountain, Michigan. Surface varied from hard pack to chopped powder depending on where the wind blowed.

My specs: 42 YO female 5'6", 130 lbs.

My own equipment:
Boots: Dalbello Krypton Kryzma ID, Dalbello Krypton Storm ID
Skis:
Blizzard Mag SL 155(Marker)
Hart F17 168(Rossi FKS)
Soft Bro 174(marker Duke)
BlueHouse MR 171(look)
New additions:
Blizzard Mag 8.1 172
Blizzard Mag 8.7 174

Ski Tested: Blizzard Mag 8.8 174 with 5/14TT IQ
This ski was purchased for Mr TC, but he's been too lazy to ski yet this year, so I decided to take 'em out for a spin.
I initially skied the Blizzard 8.7 on some serious hard pack, and wasn't sure I liked it. I felt as though the binding was set a tad far back for my likes. When I had a chance to switch skis, I realized that it wasn't the ski, it was me! I was just in a weird funk, argh!

Here we are, a week later, and I took the time to take them out again. Initially I went out on some chopped powder left over from the 18" Dump the day before(Of course we get a dump while I was in meetings, argh!!!!)

I took a few warm up runs, on some Blues with a fun surprise. wow, these get over on edge, with sweet response to skier input. The performance was equally responsive.

If I could change one thing about this ski, I would mount the binding +1cm, and get them in a 167 for my size.

Having skied this ski back to back with the Blizzard Mag 8.1, I would pick this one over the 8.1.
post #9 of 30
The 8.7 and 8.1 magnums are better for lighter weight folks than the AC50/30s
Give these a try..... ptex1 has loads
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfp158 View Post
The 8.7 and 8.1 magnums are better for lighter weight folks than the AC50/30s
Give these a try..... ptex1 has loads
I agree: the AC50 is a little stout, the Blizzard stuff works better for me, for sure. I expected them to be one of my best sellers, but most people looking at skis haven't heard of them and are unwilling to "take a risk" on something unfamiliar. Unfortunately, I have loads of them as well FWIW, a Duke-mounted 8.7 will be one of my main skis this year. Review to follow, if we ever get storm.
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by redski View Post
Hi Trekchick,

I am interest in both 8.7 or 8.1 to complete the quiver with my gotamas. Can you give us more details why you would pick the 8.7 over 8.1.

Thanks
]It probably depends on your ski style and your weight. I'd like to disclose the fact that this ski was really too long for me, so I may not be the best person to give the 8.1 a fair shake, but........
The 8.1 s are likely better carvers but the 8.7's just leaned to more confidence to lay over and stay stable. Honestly I didn't really get after it on the 8.1. They could be just as stable, but I didn't feel the urge to get more aggressive on them.

The 8.7's just begged to get after it.
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
]It probably depends on your ski style and your weight. I'd like to disclose the fact that this ski was really too long for me, so I may not be the best person to give the 8.1 a fair shake, but........
The 8.1 s are likely better carvers but the 8.7's just leaned to more confidence to lay over and stay stable. Honestly I didn't really get after it on the 8.1. They could be just as stable, but I didn't feel the urge to get more aggressive on them.

The 8.7's just begged to get after it.
I likened the 8.1's to a very forgiving yet high performance ride. I demoed the 2009 Magfire 82ti just afterward and the 2009 Cold Heat just before, and found:
1) 8.1 was the most forgiving of the 3
2) 8.1 was very snow-hugging and had a little more energy perhaps
3) 8.1 wasn't as stable as the Mag 82ti but similar to the Cold Heat
4) Mag 82ti felt like the best performer and still forgiving, while the Magnum 8.1 was 1/2 step behind in terms of top-end, but very forgiving
5) 8.1 felt fairly playful and groomer-oriented: the Mag 82ti was just as good on hard snow, but more of a GS/crudblaster and liked speed. The Cold Heat was more in the middle.

Overall, for my personal skiing style (pretty fast, I like a stable, powerful ski) the Mag 82ti was the best, but the 8.1 was also very fun and I would happily own it as well, although the length at 172 is a little short. Midfats around head height (175cm) seem best for me. I liked the 2009 Cold Heat the least of the 3: the 2008 version with the plate (vs. the 2009's railflex) was a more energetic ski and more exciting. Plus, my length in the Cold Heat is 170cm, as the 176cm, for whatever reason (most likely flex) felt hard to manage. I owned the 2008 in 170cm, but the 2009 wasn't spectacular.
post #13 of 30
Also, it seems that the 8.7 is perhaps a little stiffer, at least when flexing it on the wall at the shop.
post #14 of 30
Thread Starter 
I skied them again today and I will confess, I am in lust. This is one damn nice ski. [Phil ducking]As well as these skis carve, it really makes me wonder why anyone would want a narrow ski. [/Phil ducking]
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
I skied them again today and I will confess, I am in lust. This is one damn nice ski. [Phil ducking]As well as these skis carve, it really makes me wonder why anyone would want a narrow ski. [/Phil ducking]
Nice review, Phil.

I could tell on the first post you were doing a great job of being balanced and objective. Well done.

Now, you're letting your emotions speak. Even better.

It's nice to get both critical assessment, and subjective reaction. "Lust" says it all.

The 8.7's are the ski I'd want as much as my AC50's. From all I've heard, their balance of attributes is near ideal.

Although they carve impeccably, I suspect the 8.7's have more soft snow bias than AC50's. The 8.7's will probably float a bit better.

I agree regarding width. When skis like the 8.7's and AC50's carve so cleanly, the argument for narrow skis - especially on larger mountains - becomes questionable.

Clever, those engineering dweebs.

I look forward to your comparison of the 8.7's to the AC50's.
post #16 of 30

no need for narrow skis

I skied my home mountain REd Lodge, Montana on the 8.7 yesterday. Saturday red lodge was 59 degrees and it froze overnight. Needless to say it was bulletproof. I skied the 8.7 and it was incredible. I skied down to a group of instructors who were in a clinic. They all commented as I pulled up to them. You must have the perfect tune your the only one who wasnt sliding out on the ice. They all assumed I was on a slalom ski or some 68 mm waisted ski. When they saw I was on the 8.7 they were amazed. The tune may have been perfect( It was right out of the wrapper), but I know the ski is what was really perfect. This ski rips. I love the Ac 50 and you cant go wrong with that ski, but do yourself a favor and try an 8.7.
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
I likened the 8.1's to a very forgiving yet high performance ride. .......[snip]

Overall, for my personal skiing style (pretty fast, I like a stable, powerful ski) the Mag 82ti was the best, but the 8.1 was also very fun and I would happily own it as well, ..........
You took the words right out of my head. Nice description. I'm not unhappy we have the 8.1, but I'm really happy we have the 8.7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
I skied them again today and I will confess, I am in lust. This is one damn nice ski. [Phil ducking]As well as these skis carve, it really makes me wonder why anyone would want a narrow ski. [/Phil ducking]
Tell us what you really think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptex1 View Post
I skied my home mountain REd Lodge, Montana on the 8.7 yesterday. Saturday red lodge was 59 degrees and it froze overnight. Needless to say it was bulletproof. I skied the 8.7 and it was incredible. I skied down to a group of instructors who were in a clinic. They all commented as I pulled up to them. You must have the perfect tune your the only one who wasnt sliding out on the ice. They all assumed I was on a slalom ski or some 68 mm waisted ski. When they saw I was on the 8.7 they were amazed. The tune may have been perfect( It was right out of the wrapper), but I know the ski is what was really perfect. This ski rips. I love the Ac 50 and you cant go wrong with that ski, but do yourself a favor and try an 8.7.
I concur! One of the guys on our little hill who skis on SL's all the time, took the 8.7's out for a couple hours Sunday. I couldn't get them back from him. He was impressed with how well they carved and felt that he'd be able to take them west with him with confidence they'd handle the conditions out there.
post #18 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfp158 View Post
The 8.7 and 8.1 magnums are better for lighter weight folks than the AC50/30s
Give these a try..... ptex1 has loads
I am not light weight guy, and I loved these. I will get on the AC50 though. My concern regarding the 50 was the stiffness and how they would handle bumps, I am expecting the 8.7's are just supple enough to be much better in the moguls.
post #19 of 30

Im not a light weight guy

i am a big guy . I love the 8.7 and the Ac 50. I will sell alot of 8.1 but it is not as powerful as the 8.7 but it is easier to ski. I think the 8.1 ski's somewhere between an ac 40 and a k2 recon. Pretty good company I would say.
post #20 of 30
Wow. I gotta try these things!! I'm skiing with the rep on Thursday.... Hopefully he'll have a pair.
post #21 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptex1 View Post
i am a big guy . I love the 8.7 and the Ac 50. I will sell alot of 8.1 but it is not as powerful as the 8.7 but it is easier to ski. I think the 8.1 ski's somewhere between an ac 40 and a k2 recon. Pretty good company I would say.
Looking at the website, it looks like the construction of the 8.1 and 8.7 are identical just with the 8.7 being wider. I have yet to flex both back to back, are you saying there is a difference?
post #22 of 30

big difference

the 8.7 has 2 sheets of metal, the bottom sheet goes all the way out over the edge of the ski. Just like a race stock ski. much stiffer than the 8.1
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
Wow. I gotta try these things!! I'm skiing with the rep on Thursday.... Hopefully he'll have a pair.
You might could borrow a pair from a friend.
post #24 of 30
how does the 8.7 ski compared with the head im88 which has similar dimensions?
post #25 of 30
It looks like Blizzard has picked-up another 3 dealers in Colorado, up from just 3 a few months ago.

4 of the 6 are in Vail/Beaver Creek.

It's still thin distribution, but growing.
post #26 of 30

im 88

I loved the im 88 one of my favorite skis. In my opinion the 8.7 blows its doors off. this will be the first year I dont have an im 88 in the quiver.
post #27 of 30
I will be skiing an 8.7 mounted with Duke. It should be a great all-around ski. The flex is much more approachable than many in this category, for a lightweight such as myself. It is cool that heavier skiers are also having a good time on it.
post #28 of 30
Here's a comparison between the 8.7 Magnum, 174, and the much-loved Head iM78, 177, skied late last season at Sugar Bowl in spring conds...

I skied these back to back (my son and I exchanged skis every run) for 4 hours...

The 8.7 Magnum skied like a souped-up iM78, as quick-turning but with better edge grip on hard A.M. snow, punchier in softening cruddy stuff, with more energy all around...and with a higher speed limit....
And surprisingly it was as EASY and forgiving as the iM78 which has a large sweet spot...

I ordered a pair the next day from ptex....up until then the iM78 was my fave...
I'm 155#, 5'8, level 8-ish, older but still rocking...

My $.02...

nfp
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
You might could borrow a pair from a friend.
Oooh... good idea! Send yours up to me!

I'll send 'em back in April.
post #30 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
Oooh... good idea! Send yours up to me!

I'll send 'em back in April.
Thats fine, I was going to send mine up to you, hers will work just as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › 08-09 Blizzard Magnum 8.7