EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Driving conditions from SLC to Park City?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Driving conditions from SLC to Park City?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

The wife and I arrive in SLC Saturday night and will ski 3-4 days at various resorts. Haven't bought any lift tickets yet and figured we'd buy most tickets from the hotel or ski shop each day based on conditions. I figure we'll be able to get small discounts off the window ticket price, but nothing to get too excited about. But Liftopia has PCMR tickets at $39 right now and I'm extremely tempted to snag a pair of those ahead of time because the site claims they are "very limited and do sell out" (and I'm a sucker for sales pitches like that). Right now it looks like a snow event is coming this weekend so I'm guessing PCMR will be fine for a first day of skiing on blue and green groomers, but I don't know how the drive is from Sandy to PCMR. If I buy date-specific tickets for Sunday the 14th, is there any significant chance that we won't be able to drive from Sandy to the resort that morning? We'll have a rented 4x4 by the way. I skied SLC last year and our very first day the road into LCC was closed so we skied Snowbasin (didn't have pre-bought tickets luckily). So I'd sure hate to be stuck with date-specific tickets to PCMR that we couldn't use because we can't get there!!

Thanks in advance for any insights!

David
post #2 of 13
Hi Dave, At times during a very big storm it is tough to get from SLC to Park City, but it is an Interstate and it takes a pretty big storm to shut it down. I wouldn't fret about that. If the road to LCC is closed always consider doing the BCC because that is usually open and much easily traveled. Esp with a 4x4 you will be in good shape. (even though your from Alabama!)
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the excellent advice SBD! Yeah we'll definitely do BCC while there and I'll have one day by myself at the end of the trip when I'll do Snowbird if the road's open (wife probably not ready for SB). I'm just trying to make sure it's not stupid to buy a date-specific ticket to PCMR for next Sunday the 14th or maybe Monday to lock in the great price. Anybody else have an opinion as to whether that would be a bad gamble?

David
post #4 of 13
Don't buy date-specific tickets until you know what the conditions are. The open terrain at PCMR is very limited right now -- only three runs. They will need a pretty significant storm to open more terrain. I would make sure that coming snow dump is a 2+ footer before committing to PCMR at all -- unless you like skiing a WROD that is.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Good point skier219! I hadn't actually checked PCMR's website lately because I just assumed a reasonable amount of blue/green terrain would be open by now (duh!) But you're right, only 3 trails open now, and based on the forecast it doesn't look like this coming weekend's snow event is going to be significant enough to change that dramatically. Definitely not a good idea to pre-buy right now! Looks like we'll probably need to stick with LCC/BCC resorts.

David
post #6 of 13
Where are you staying? I stayed in Cottonwood Heights a couple of years ago and went here for discounted lift tickets:

http://www.canyonsports.com/tickets.html

They have a few locations.
post #7 of 13
What's the status of SB now?

I've checked their site and it looks pretty good, but not sure how much of that is "marketing".
post #8 of 13
We are looking at a significant weather pattern change coming in about the time you arrive. This should affect the entire West from California, Oregon, and Washington to Utah, Wyoming and Montana. Things could change quite quickly, so bring it.

That is an excellent ticket deal if it is open dates. Stay loose and follow the snow.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSki View Post
I've checked their site and it looks pretty good, but not sure how much of that is "marketing".
Ron, if you ski Snowbird enough and compare their conditions to what they report you would probably think they underestimate their conditions at times. The only thing that isn't just right, is they often show these perfect untracked powder lines that in actuality are hard to find unless you are the first person there(early) or it is snowing all day.

The resort is huge compared to everywhere else, and doesn't always draw huge crowds, so the skiing can stay being very good all day. Most importantly, most of the resort faces directly north, and that keeps the snow just right.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
We are looking at a significant weather pattern change coming in about the time you arrive...

From today's (Tuesday) National Weather Service Cottonwood Canyon forecast:

"Remarks: Cold and very stormy pattern beginning this weekend. More storms between Saturday and next Friday than all storms combined since October. Bring it on!"

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gores95 View Post
Where are you staying? I stayed in Cottonwood Heights a couple of years ago and went here for discounted lift tickets:

http://www.canyonsports.com/tickets.html

They have a few locations.
Thanks for the heads up gores95! We'll be at the Super 8 in Midvale and we planned to rent my wife's skis/boots at the Canyon Sports on Fort Union. So getting tickets there sounds like a good plan (still may buy some super-cheap ones at Liftopia though if conditions warrant).

Quote:
"Remarks: Cold and very stormy pattern beginning this weekend. More storms between Saturday and next Friday than all storms combined since October. Bring it on!"
Holy cow that sounds awesome!! We shipped out all our gear yesterday and I just hope we shipped enough layers of clothing to deal with the cold!

David
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSki View Post
What's the status of SB now?

I've checked their site and it looks pretty good, but not sure how much of that is "marketing".
It really is pretty good there right now. I've been there twice so far and they have good coverage, and they just got 8 inches last night
post #13 of 13
Alta has the best coverage now. Outside the Cottonwoods, it's defintely not worth it until the the storm comes, patrol controls the snow, and you can see how much more terrain is opened.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Driving conditions from SLC to Park City?