EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › My first runs of the season...not so great...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My first runs of the season...not so great...

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Skied Big Sky yesterday for the first time ever. I just got up here from GA and haven't had time to buy a pair of skis and boots yet so I just rented. It was cold at the top, thermometer said around 0-2 F. I was on my third run, and decided to go down Crazy Horse....bad decision...the snow cover was horrible, little trees/plants poking out everywhere as well as a lot of rocks. Well I was just cruising along, then WHAM!! I hit this wall of rock about 3 or 4 feet high that was covered by snow. I slide out of my bindings and hit my knee squarely on the rock...then I notice I completely broke one of the skis and chipped the other. Thank god the skis hit first though. I think it slowed me down enough where I only got a minor scrape and bruise on my knee. Sucks I have to shell out 200 for the skis now, but the more I think about it, I'm just thankful I didn't get hurt...I'll be waiting a while before I venture out again..
post #2 of 29
I had a similar thing happin a few years ago at Sunshine Alta.I pretty well ripped the base out of a rental ski. First day of the year, I took the ski back in they said I was gunna have to pay. I pointed out it was thier run, their rock, thier ski , thier problem. If the run was open and you destroyed the resorts equipment too bad for them. Tell them if they spot you a tow ticket or two you might not call your lawyer
Have fun
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan9124 View Post
Skied Big Sky yesterday for the first time ever. I just got up here from GA and haven't had time to buy a pair of skis and boots yet so I just rented. It was cold at the top, thermometer said around 0-2 F. I was on my third run, and decided to go down Crazy Horse....bad decision...the snow cover was horrible, little trees/plants poking out everywhere as well as a lot of rocks. Well I was just cruising along, then WHAM!! I hit this wall of rock about 3 or 4 feet high that was covered by snow. I slide out of my bindings and hit my knee squarely on the rock...then I notice I completely broke one of the skis and chipped the other. Thank god the skis hit first though. I think it slowed me down enough where I only got a minor scrape and bruise on my knee. Sucks I have to shell out 200 for the skis now, but the more I think about it, I'm just thankful I didn't get hurt...I'll be waiting a while before I venture out again..

That sucks, and I'm glad you weren't hurt. I lost it on thin coverage once too, I was on some rented tele's, it was snowing, and what I thought was an untracked line was actually a dusting of snow on rock, i didn't really hurt the ski's, but falling on the rocks kinda sucked.

Did you not see this 3 or 4 foot high wall of rock? or did you think it was snow?
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boot View Post
I had a similar thing happin a few years ago at Sunshine Alta.I pretty well ripped the base out of a rental ski.
Early season at sunshine is really rough on skis....
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSkier View Post
That sucks, and I'm glad you weren't hurt. I lost it on thin coverage once too, I was on some rented tele's, it was snowing, and what I thought was an untracked line was actually a dusting of snow on rock, i didn't really hurt the ski's, but falling on the rocks kinda sucked.

Did you not see this 3 or 4 foot high wall of rock? or did you think it was snow?

TexasSkier, you do realize that your screen name is any oxymoron right?
post #6 of 29
Which is why I picked it Chaos
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan9124 View Post
Skied Big Sky yesterday...
Yea I skied it today and I feel the same way about the conditions as you. I made sure to stay up in the bowl because I found it had the best coverage. The stuff off of the challenger lift was alright too but it had a lot of moguls and hidden rocks.

My buddy tore a huge gash out of ski and broke a piece of edge right off too.
Well, they're just skis, there meant to get used like that. I just think if you're scarred to wreck your gear then don't ever bother going up until mid-season.
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUBozangelas View Post
. I just think if you're scarred to wreck your gear then don't ever bother going up until mid-season.
That works?
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSkier View Post
Which is why I picked it Chaos
So you're not from Texas?
post #10 of 29
well, "from texas" can mean many things
post #11 of 29
Watch out Chaos,he's setting you up.
post #12 of 29
I met a guy from Texas taking the Ski Instructor's course at Killington one year. I asked him where he skied in Texas, he told me 'in Colorado'.
post #13 of 29
Rocks are a problem at Big Sky even when they've got GREAT coverage. I swear they've got p-tex eating gnomes that place them out at night even in the deepest spots, so that they can feed themselves in the evening.

Every time I go out there, I figure on at least $100 in base repairs when I come back.
post #14 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSkier View Post
That sucks, and I'm glad you weren't hurt. I lost it on thin coverage once too, I was on some rented tele's, it was snowing, and what I thought was an untracked line was actually a dusting of snow on rock, i didn't really hurt the ski's, but falling on the rocks kinda sucked.

Did you not see this 3 or 4 foot high wall of rock? or did you think it was snow?
It was covered by a light layer of snow. It looked like it was just an incline on the slope.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSkier View Post
well, "from texas" can mean many things
Well, you don't admit that you're from Texas so I'm going to automatically assume that you're definitely not a Texan. As you may or may not know, Texans are always ready to confess their pride in their homeland. Not to mention the fact that, if you're here at Epic, then you're a skier, so that right there disqualifies you as a Texan, because Texans don't ski, period.
post #16 of 29
What school of logic does that come from?

Oh, I forgot, you're "Chaos".
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post
Oh, I forgot, you're "Chaos".
Don't ever forget again. I'll let you off this time with a warning.
post #18 of 29
Ever had one of these...

Skiing along trying to keep your speed up to make a lift and manage to put a ski right under a root of a tree camouflaged by a thin layer of snow? I have... not a pleasant experience!

Oh, and in another "left my brain at home moment" - skiing down a steep bump run early season... fell and was sliding towards a rock sticking out of the snow. In a split second decision, I decided to lift my skis and take the full force of the rock with my ass. Carried that bruise for quite a long time
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Texans don't ski, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post
What school of logic does that come from?
Didn't you read Voltaire's Candide? Have you no exposure to the reasoning of Dr. Pangloss?

Since everything is for the best in this best of all possible worlds, it is impossible for Texans to ski, since Texans on the slopes would mean that this is not the best of all possible worlds. QED.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Well, you don't admit that you're from Texas so I'm going to automatically assume that you're definitely not a Texan. As you may or may not know, Texans are always ready to confess their pride in their homeland. Not to mention the fact that, if you're here at Epic, then you're a skier, so that right there disqualifies you as a Texan, because Texans don't ski, period.
How much will it hurt to be wrong?

The answer could depend on it.

Hey Dan, I guess there's no point warning you there isn't much snow in Montana yet.
post #21 of 29
dan -

New skiers to Big Sky are usually given the advice of don't ski anywhere on the mountain someone else hasn't skied. In early season conditions that warning doesn't work as there are always a lot of fools that will go into dangerous areas with little regard to what will happen to their skis. Until there is good coverage and you get to know the mountain well I wouldn't ski anywhere off the beaten path without someone showing you the way (and better yet, skiing down before you so he/she can find the rocks.)
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
I wouldn't ski anywhere off the beaten path without someone showing you the way (and better yet, skiing down before you so he/she can find the rocks.)
You go first! That's why I plan on looking you up if I make it out this year!
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boot View Post
I had a similar thing happin a few years ago at Sunshine Alta.I pretty well ripped the base out of a rental ski. First day of the year, I took the ski back in they said I was gunna have to pay. I pointed out it was thier run, their rock, thier ski , thier problem. If the run was open and you destroyed the resorts equipment too bad for them. Tell them if they spot you a tow ticket or two you might not call your lawyer
Have fun
Yes, lets solve all the problems in the world by suing.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
Yes, lets solve all the problems in the world by suing.
Well stated. Unfortunately, it seems irresponsibility has replaced common sense.

Seems someone should just stick to SC. Take up...golf or something.
post #25 of 29
Blaise,
I've done the tree root thing a couple of times myself. Both times under early season conditions as well.

I've seen quite a few injuries on the hill from ppl who were bitten by the sharks lurking beneath the thin early season coverage. I know it's hard but you definitely have to keep the early season stoke in check when things are as bad as they are in the NW this season.
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
You go first! That's why I plan on looking you up if I make it out this year!
FYI - I haven't done any P-Tex work on any of my skis the past two years. That's partially due to luck, knowing where to go and the good coverage we had early in the season last year but mostly because I avoid the steeps at Big Sky & Moonlight Basin until they're reporting 6 feet on the upper mountain. One of the luxuries of living here is I can wait.
post #27 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
dan -

New skiers to Big Sky are usually given the advice of don't ski anywhere on the mountain someone else hasn't skied. In early season conditions that warning doesn't work as there are always a lot of fools that will go into dangerous areas with little regard to what will happen to their skis. Until there is good coverage and you get to know the mountain well I wouldn't ski anywhere off the beaten path without someone showing you the way (and better yet, skiing down before you so he/she can find the rocks.)
wish someone would've told me that last week.....
post #28 of 29
Although big sky just got another foot of snow, I would stay off challenger, and stick to the bowl and the groomers.
post #29 of 29
On my one a year visit to Mammoth I always seem to chew my skis up. Regarding skiing underneath a root disguised by a thin layer of snow. I believe this was the basis for a 'famous" lawsuit involving an injured skier at Statton that ended up paralyzed from the accident, suing the ski area resulting in all the "boiler plate" written on the back of ski tickets essentially saying you the skier are assuming the risks of variable conditions etc etc.

I could be wrong referencing the Stratton accident's influence on ski area liability, can anybody confirm? I also can't remember if the injured skier won the case or not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › My first runs of the season...not so great...