New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gathering 2010 Nominations - Page 2

post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI-3PO View Post
UL, you better nominate someone to organize all those events (and I'm certainly NOT an organizer) or you're gonna get yourself in some trouble!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post

If we do end up with Whistler, I'm up for volunteering to spearhead the planning, with what little I can contribute.
One down!

Then if I return this years appointment to Spindrift.....two down.

See....this isn't so hard.
post #32 of 57
If you do Whistler, good attendance is likely.

With terrain comparable to JH and Snowbird, and enormous acreage, Whistler also offers more of a "complete vacation" experience.

Apres at Snowbird is nascent. JH has a decent base village, but not in the league of Whistler/BC.

Whistler will satisfy most, including non-skiing spouses and families.
post #33 of 57

Gathering 2010

Talk about Prior Planning.

So watcha think: A TRULY EPIC GATHERING

First Week of August. Meet in that hotbed of snow skiing Los Angeles. Board a privately leased Cruise Ship and take off for KIWI Land. Arrive in Christchurch on the south island and ski great powder in August.

There of course could be a few technical glitches but I am sure Uncle Louie is up to the challenge.

Sooo Get your passport now for an awesome trip. UL make sure they have enough beer on board.
NOTE. The west coast port was chosen due to the fact the Somalian Pirates wouldn't have a chance versus Bears with Poles sticking swashbuckling idiots as they were coming over the side.
post #34 of 57
There's been informal talk of a NZ gathering. It could be sweet...
post #35 of 57
Quote:
First Week of August. Meet in that hotbed of snow skiing Los Angeles. Board a privately leased Cruise Ship and take off for KIWI Land. Arrive in Christchurch on the south island and ski great powder in August.
If you start in August, you'll get there in September.
post #36 of 57
Thread Starter 
Pete - this isn't really THAT prior of planning if the venue will be selected during the JH Gathering. Choosing some top nominees would be helpful and it allows everybody to have a voice now if they want to, since this won't be decided on the forum after the 2009 trip. I haven't been there for a vote during a gathering since last year was my first and we were all too preoccupied to even care. I would imagine though that some dominant personalities stand out and some people aren't as outspoken in person.

Plus we get to talk about skiing more. Do you have a problem with that? ;-)
post #37 of 57

Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
Pete - this isn't really THAT prior of planning if the venue will be selected during the JH Gathering. Choosing some top nominees would be helpful and it allows everybody to have a voice now if they want to, since this won't be decided on the forum after the 2009 trip. I haven't been there for a vote during a gathering since last year was my first and we were all too preoccupied to even care. I would imagine though that some dominant personalities stand out and some people aren't as outspoken in person.

Plus we get to talk about skiing more. Do you have a problem with that? ;-)
MattL. You took me seriously? There I go being misconstrued again - darn.

My suggestion. Whistler would be good BUT after Olympics/prices are going to be way up there. Big Sky sounds good to me. NZ sounds good too.
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
My suggestion. Whistler would be good BUT after Olympics/prices are going to be way down
Fixed. They'll have a surplus of hotel rooms/condos/whathaveyou's after the Olympics, and they'll want to fill it somehow.
post #39 of 57
Whiteface....that way we can also all race each other on the Olympic Bobsled run and see of the Westies can handle ice-face.
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
A TRULY EPIC GATHERING

First Week of August. Meet in that hotbed of snow skiing Los Angeles. Board a privately leased Cruise Ship and take off for KIWI Land. Arrive in Christchurch on the south island and ski great powder in August.

There of course could be a few technical glitches but I am sure Uncle Louie is up to the challenge.

UL make sure they have enough beer on board.
I'll get right on it.
post #41 of 57
With ESA being at Stowe every year, I would suggest someplace else. I hear Sugarloaf is great but not near an airport. MRG/Sugarbush is a good option. We have many mini gatherings already here in the east, a good amount of us ski with Bears more often than not. What is cool about a central Gathering, is to get to ski with Bears you don't normally get to ski with.

The bad part of Whistler, besides the dollar being 1:1 vs. in year past is it takes too long to get there from the east, we loose 2 days of skiing due to travel. Utah is a great choice in that we can fly there in the AM and be on the slopes in the afternoon. Plus it is cheap airfare to get there.
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post
It's definitely time to have a eastern gathering.

But that shouldn't stop having a western gathering!
Ditto!
post #43 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
MattL. You took me seriously? There I go being misconstrued again - darn.

My suggestion. Whistler would be good BUT after Olympics/prices are going to be way up there. Big Sky sounds good to me. NZ sounds good too.
Nah, you were just my excuse to justify my thread. Here's a tip for you though - if you want to get funny and hijack someones thread, add your USEFUL input in the same post. Comedy goes a lot farther when you are also contributing instead of just possibly derailing someone's thread. It doesn't bother me but that might be where the misconstruing is happening that you mention with others. No biggie to me though dude!

BTW I agree, I think Big Sky/Bridger/Moon Light would be a fine choice. I would love to do Whistler but the Olympics take up the whole month of February.
post #44 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
With ESA being at Stowe every year, I would suggest someplace else. I hear Sugarloaf is great but not near an airport. MRG/Sugarbush is a good option. We have many mini gatherings already here in the east, a good amount of us ski with Bears more often than not. What is cool about a central Gathering, is to get to ski with Bears you don't normally get to ski with.

The bad part of Whistler, besides the dollar being 1:1 vs. in year past is it takes too long to get there from the east, we loose 2 days of skiing due to travel. Utah is a great choice in that we can fly there in the AM and be on the slopes in the afternoon. Plus it is cheap airfare to get there.
The US dollar right now is about $1.30 Canadian. Who knows what will happen though since we are so far out. I agree though that the two major factors are convenience and cost.

2 or 3 Gatherings per season sounds great to me but we should probably go to 2 first and make that work. Baby steps.

One West and one East sounds good. You will have the East people going West but I just don't see the West people coming East. Having 'Gathering West' in early Feb and 'Gathering East' in early/mid March would spread it out enough that more people would do both too.
post #45 of 57

Gatherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
The US dollar right now is about $1.30 Canadian. Who knows what will happen though since we are so far out. I agree though that the two major factors are convenience and cost.

2 or 3 Gatherings per season sounds great to me but we should probably go to 2 first and make that work. Baby steps.

One West and one East sounds good. You will have the East people going West but I just don't see the West people coming East. Having 'Gathering West' in early Feb and 'Gathering East' in early/mid March would spread it out enough that more people would do both too.
Good ideas, I would be willing to travel East to ski depending on the time etc. However I will pass on skiing/sliding down the Bobsled run. One good thing about going East to ski for the lst time is: I can post 12 or 13 times on what ski's do I use for Eastern Skiing that was I can sort of catch up on my post count.

Seriously I would like to come East and ski. I obviously can't recommend where since I know nothing about eastern skiing.

Sound like fun. Is the beer any good, Got Moosedrool????
post #46 of 57
Quote:
I agree though that the two major factors are convenience and cost.
Quote:
it takes too long to get there from the east, we loose 2 days of skiing due to travel. Utah is a great choice in that we can fly there in the AM and be on the slopes in the afternoon. Plus it is cheap airfare to get there.
Exchange rate may not be a factor by the time next season rolls around. Granted, there's no escaping Whistler being simply a lot more expensive than SLC or Summit County even in favorable exchange rate. But if I want a cheap ski vacation, I'll be x-c'ing out of a Albany motel!

Convinience to Whistler is no worse than say, Summit County. Although the flight time is an hour longer, Vancouver is also an hour behind Mountain Time. So you arrive the same hour local time as you do at Denver. Same hour and half to get from airport to resort too.

But NO DRIVING AROUND EACH MORNING to get to the different hills! Get on the same lift each day, you're all set to ski different mountains! (Not to mention how convinient it's for apres when everyone stays close by)

Worse than SLC, of course. Everywhere is compare to SLC, even Jackson Hole. Most of us from the east coast will lose 2 days traveling to and from JH. And the air fare to JH aren't cheap either. The same will be true of Big Sky too.

If convinience and cost are the consideration, I don't see western bears coming east. It's a lot more expensive to ski the east, both in lift ticket and lodging prices. That's why we eastern bears can afford to go west so much: better snow AND not much more expensive even factor in the flight.
post #47 of 57
At $1.30 to $1.00, the US dollar leverage over Canada is huge - more than any price differential.

I just returned from visiting my family in Vancouver. The 30% boost in $ US purchasing power made me feel royal.

Throw in a few group discounts, and post Olymipic hangover sales, and Whistler could be a smoking deal.

Regarding travel, it's only 1.5 hours more on the plane from the east coast, vs Utah or Colorado.

The drive from Vancouver Airport to Whistler is about 2 hours. The newly revamped Sea to Sky highway is almost all 4 lanes.

I can't think of many places with a more pleasant pedestrian ski village. Intrawest set the standard when they created Whistler Village. A car is unnecessasry. Everything is walking distance from your hotel: food, shopping, bars, movie theaters, grocery, dentist, doctor, and lifts. They're not missing much.
post #48 of 57

My $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Louie View Post
I think it's about time to scrap the "one" Gathering a year thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
What is cool about a central Gathering, is to get to ski with Bears you don't normally get to ski with.
I'm with Phil on this one. There are many regional gatherings already and as far as I can tell any bear from any region would be welcome to attend any of them. A single official Gathering pulls bears from all corners of the country (and further). That is one of the two things that makes the Gathering attractive to me. The other is the chance to ski some of the best terrain in the country.

One official Gathering and as many regional gatherings as there are willing organizers and attendees is best
post #49 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post
Worse than SLC, of course. Everywhere is compare to SLC, even Jackson Hole. Most of us from the east coast will lose 2 days traveling to and from JH. And the air fare to JH aren't cheap either. The same will be true of Big Sky too.
I was surprised when I did a comparison yesterday just to see the differences in flying to JH during this year's Gathering dates and flying to other places.

DC to JH - $280
DC to Bozeman - $375
DC to SLC - $226
DC to Denver - $207
DC to Vancouver - $529

JH flights are on par with SLC when you are talking about only a $50 difference as far as I'm concerned. It seems like some people are just assuming it's super expensive to fly to JH.
post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
Tuckerman's Ravine. Mid-April, 2010.

I'm there.

I'll be there mid-April 09 too...
post #51 of 57
Quote:
JH flights are on par with SLC when you are talking about only a $50 difference as far as I'm concerned.
No so when I searched.

JH was consistantly $350+(~$400) when travelling Friday/Saturday. While I've never failed to find flights to SLC or Denver at <<$300 even traveling at peak hours (Fri evening/Saturday morning) and even with a mere 1-2 week advance booking. And depends on your luck, my friends were able to score a $280 flight to Vancouver! I wish I was going with them!

The thing with JH is the lack of direct flights. So no evening departure after a full day of work. Nor a Saturday morning flight with a 3/4 day of skiing at destination! Unfortunately, Whistler also falls into that catagory due to relatively few direct flights from the east coast (plenty of direct flights from California).

That's true of Big Sky too. In fact, that's why I just couldn't swing last year's ESA at Big Sky. I simply can't afford the extra 2 days spend on travel (I got "snowed in" TWICE last year and used up 2 extra vacation days). For that same time period, I was able to do LGC and fitted in 9 days of skiing for 5 days off. Had I gone to Big Sky, I would got only 7 days skiing.

I'll be happy with either Big Sky or Whistler. Still, I think strato has a point, next year might be the "golden" opportunity for a gathering at Whistler! All the inferstructure build for the game would help make for a great experience and the extra capacity could possibly lead to lower prices.
post #52 of 57
Airfares have changed alot since I booked my JH trip.
A quick look at this years gathering dates, roundtrip:
BOS - JAC: $405 one stop, $263 two stops
BOS - SLC: $363 one stop, no useful deals on two stops (or $530 non-stop).

Having JAC and SLC airfare essentially the same is new, at least as far as I remember.
post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
There's been informal talk of a NZ gathering. It could be sweet...
mmmm.... it probably is about time for me to step up and organise something in kiw land, to pay back for the two I have attended in the past. Hopefully this recession business won't keep everyone away. But it may mean some good deals on packages if skier numbers are down.
post #54 of 57

I keep reading the word rain....err Whistler

If, on the off chance Whistler would be the chosen venue, and if the bankrupcty Judge has not liquidated it...I would be happy to throw open the doors of Le Club to the Needy at N/C.
Just like on the Titanic it will be women and children first....and hopefully enough women so as to preclude any children!

Cheers

Da Flav
post #55 of 57
I'd do Whistler or just about anywhere out west.

Keeping with the theme of this thread I would go with same late Jan/Early Feb time frame and choices in order would be Utah/Jackson/Bigsky/Whistler.

Keep in mind that it's almost a given that I'll be in Summit County at least once a season and probably twice. So that works VERY well also.

Summing up this post means that I'm completely non-committal and if possible I'll be there
post #56 of 57
Thread Starter 
Here are my picks:

1. Tahoe (north shore)
2. Big Sky/Bridger/Moonlight
3. SLC
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post
Ok, I'll start the nominations with Big Sky/Moonlight Basin/Bridger Bowl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryZ View Post
Big Sky /Bridger is my suggestion . A good time would be guaranteed for all .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
Big Sky sounds good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
I think Big Sky/Bridger/Moon Light would be a fine choice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home