New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I be rescheduling?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Supposed to head to Targhee next Thursday the 11th. It's looking pretty bleak right now, small storm expected Sunday and Tuesday but thats it. They're reporing 30" at mid mountain but have no lifts other than Shoshone open. I'm not sure how much more snow they need to give them a shot at opening the main mountain?

I can rebook with minimal penalty, so it's not a huge deal, I was just looking forward to getting in some early season turns.
post #2 of 14
How soon do you have to make a decision? Right now they are predicting another storm Saturday night and unstable air in the area for the following week meaning snow off and on.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
I can basically wait til Tuesday or Wednesday.
post #4 of 14
If you can wait until Tuesday or Wednesday and it won't change how much it costs you to rebook, then you might as well wait and see what the weekend brings. Snow can pile up fast once the weather finally shifts.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
I heard the Dreamcatcher chair opens tomorrow which is great news, as that accesses a great deal of the mountain's terrain. Hopefully they open a bunch of terrain and not just a few routes down. Hoping for good things from this weekend storm!
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowers View Post
I heard the Dreamcatcher chair opens tomorrow which is great news, as that accesses a great deal of the mountain's terrain. Hopefully they open a bunch of terrain and not just a few routes down.
I haven't been over to Targhee, but it's hard for me to imagine that there's enough snow to make much of the off-piste very skiable. I've been skiing the last couple weeks at higher elevations than Targhee's summit and it's pretty thin most everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowers View Post
Hoping for good things from this weekend storm!
?????

Are you looking at a forecast that I don't have access to? Here's the NOAA forecast for the Tetons:

***********************

This Afternoon: Sunny, with a high near 21. West wind around 7 mph.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 0. Wind chill values as low as -10. West wind between 3 and 5 mph.

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 26. Wind chill values as low as -12. Southwest wind between 6 and 10 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. Wind chill values as low as -1. West southwest wind between 6 and 9 mph.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of snow after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. Southwest wind between 3 and 6 mph.

Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Sunday: A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35.

Sunday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Monday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28.

Monday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20.

Tuesday: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31.

Tuesday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23.

Wednesday: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34.

***************

We usually don't get very excited about any snow in the forecast unless they're including a hazardous weather outlook in the forecast. No advisories (except for high winds around Cody, which doesn't do much for snow in the Tetons).

Good luck. Personally, I think you'll be postponing the trip.

But you never know... might as well wait 'til the last possible minute.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Been looking at snow-forecast.com They've downgraded it significantly though. Originally it was supposed to snow from Sunday thru Tuesday with about 7-9 inches of accumulation. Now they're calling for 2-3 inches.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowers View Post
Been looking at snow-forecast.com They've downgraded it significantly though. Originally it was supposed to snow from Sunday thru Tuesday with about 7-9 inches of accumulation. Now they're calling for 2-3 inches.
Unfortunately - and I don't want to say this any more than you probably want to hear it - even 7-9 inches at 10,000 feet isn't going to change the picture around here enough to make a difference.

We need REAL snow. Like back-to-back double-digit storms. With a moisture content over 10%. And that's just for starters.

That said, this is NOT unusual. It's only the 4th of December. In almost every year, the snow starts coming around this time. We just have to keep the faith.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm not a complete rube, I know 7-9" is not going to make a significant difference, especially off piste. Frankly, this is my first trip of the year and the goal is to just get some turns in and enjoy some time skiing. I'd be perfectly happy with a decent surface on groomers. And before the "I Told You So" posters from the other thread make it over here, yes, I know scheduling early season is a risk. That's why I picked Targhee, playing the odds. My trip's almost free and I had some vacation time I couldn't use earlier in the year that I need to use or lose. The only question I'm worried about is will it A. suck so bad that it's not even worth skiing, or B. It's not the greatest by any means, but there's enough snow on-piste to have fun.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
By the way, sorry for the rant.
post #11 of 14
Even if there's only one run open, and you've got a pair of skis strapped to your feet, isn't that enought to have fun?
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowers View Post
I'm not a complete rube, I know 7-9" is not going to make a significant difference, especially off piste. Frankly, this is my first trip of the year and the goal is to just get some turns in and enjoy some time skiing. I'd be perfectly happy with a decent surface on groomers. And before the "I Told You So" posters from the other thread make it over here, yes, I know scheduling early season is a risk. That's why I picked Targhee, playing the odds. My trip's almost free and I had some vacation time I couldn't use earlier in the year that I need to use or lose. The only question I'm worried about is will it A. suck so bad that it's not even worth skiing, or B. It's not the greatest by any means, but there's enough snow on-piste to have fun.
As it stands today, I think the skiing is probably more fun at JH than at Targhee. JH has top-to-bottom snowmaking on Apres Vous with almost 2,000 vertical feet. It's limited to one run right now but a second will be open in the next few days. The skiing is quite good considering that it's all artificial. I've been having enough fun to want to go up every morning.

Since Targhee is theoretically just opening Dreamcatcher now, I kind of wonder if the coverage is good enough to avoid rock-dodging much of the way down. Maybe we'll get a report from someone who skis it in the next couple days.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Long way out, but looks like some sustained snowfall could be on the way for next weekend. Now that there are some options I think I'm going to go for it. GT has over 700 acres open now, gotta be some fun in there somewhere! May pop over to JH for a day too.
post #14 of 14
My negative comments on this topic are based upon those who must commit significant $ well in advance. If the trip is cheap and/or the penalty to bail out is modest, the threshold for planning these early trips is far lower.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel