New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What New Skis to Get?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I have been skiing for about 5 years now and I am looking to purchase some skis for this upcoming season. I live in cincinnati, oh so the only place I can go is Perfect North, which isn't too much but it's something. I'd only be skiing there or maybe somewhere up north like in Michigan or if i'm lucky Virginia. What would be a good pair of skis for me if i'm an intermediate skier. I can ski 98% of the slopes at perfect north and don't want to spend a great amount on skis and boots. I am 6' 1" and weigh 183lbs. I'm honestly not sure about binding size and all that because every year i've skied i have just rented the skis and boots. any help would be great!

- chuck
post #2 of 17
Get your skis online buy your boots in person at the shop.
A good place to pick up good skis cheap other than ebay, is www.levelninesports.com. They have pretty good descriptions of the skis qualities. At your height and weight I would say you want something in the 177cm length area. Bindings for the most part dont have sizing, but there are adult and there are junior models...some companies now make women's models. The shop will mount and set the DIN for you.
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck976 View Post
I have been skiing for about 5 years now and I am looking to purchase some skis for this upcoming season. I live in cincinnati, oh so the only place I can go is Perfect North, which isn't too much but it's something. I'd only be skiing there or maybe somewhere up north like in Michigan or if i'm lucky Virginia. What would be a good pair of skis for me if i'm an intermediate skier. I can ski 98% of the slopes at perfect north and don't want to spend a great amount on skis and boots. I am 6' 1" and weigh 183lbs. I'm honestly not sure about binding size and all that because every year i've skied i have just rented the skis and boots. any help would be great!

- chuck
Never buy skis without trying the identical setup first.

(I've violated this rule many times and always regretted it.)

Buy boots before skis.
post #4 of 17
You may end up buying from someone on here.

Let the discussion begin-
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Never buy skis without trying the identical setup first.

(I've violated this rule many times and always regretted it.)

Buy boots before skis.
I have done it multiple times and have been very happy each time.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
I have done it multiple times and have been very happy each time.

Yah...me too. The only time I was not happy with a ski purchase was after I bought my first pair in the store only to find out that I could have bought them online for at least $100 less....but they were good skis so it worked out and the store hooked me up many, many times so in the end I guess I paid less overall (good arguement to support the bricks and mortar local stores).
post #7 of 17

They both did it (together?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
I have done it multiple times and have been very happy each time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
Yah...me too.
Well, I guess it's a truism that most guys are very happy when they do it.

Anyway, glad you guys got lucky, but nevertheless it's wiser to try before you buy. You can't really know whether a particular ski is the best one for you unless you've compared it with others on snow.

Cheers.
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
thanks for all the help. what does 177cm do opposed to like 160cm? (whenever i rent from perfect north i usually get 160cm just because they said that's what would fit me best). also, what would be a good ski and/or boot to get? k2, dynastar, roxy, etc... what size bindings would just suggset also. i know richie said it doesn't matter but what would the difference between 12 and 14 be?
post #9 of 17
Whole books get written around gear choices...best to ski and learn as you go. That's one reason I'd rent skis rather than buy.

All other things being equal--and they rarely are--a longer ski will be suited to higher speeds and stability at the expense of easier maneuverability.

Bindings aren't "sized" as such. Rather they are mounted to fit your boots and then the release mechanism adjusted for your approximate weight and ability. 14 is a higher release setting than 12; both are off the charts for an intermediate skier.

Invest in some comfy boots and experiment with various rental skis. You'll find what you like in no time.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Well, I guess it's a truism that most guys are very happy when they do it.

Anyway, glad you guys got lucky, but nevertheless it's wiser to try before you buy. You can't really know whether a particular ski is the best one for you unless you've compared it with others on snow.

Cheers.
Reviews and knowing what each # means in real terms in the key, not luck. Once you know what sort of dimensions and feel you want you just start smacking through reviews of those skis until you find exactly what you want. Not really something a beginner or non tech nerd intermediates can do easily though.

Edited to add...

"You'll find what you like in no time." That is the REAL key, once you know what you like you can seek it out and do very well most of the time.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Whole books get written around gear choices...best to ski and learn as you go.
what would be a book or internet site where i could learn about skis and what to look for and get? like i said i can ski very well, i just don't know about skis and boots and all the technical stuff.

EDIT: I was just looking on ebay to check stuff out, what do you all think about these skis...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2008-Atomic-Metron-3-skis-w-4tix310-Binding-177cm_W0QQitemZ200280003544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSkii ng?hash=item200280003544&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trk parms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

i just searched 177cm skis on ebay and these seemed pretty descent.
post #12 of 17
Prolly fine for what you're after. Now about them boots.... are you listening Chuck?
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
Prolly fine for what you're after. Now about them boots.... are you listening Chuck?
haha yes i'm listening. i know that they are pretty much the most important part. should i be looking for anything specific? i really don't want to spend more than $200 on boots. all i know is that they should be mighty comfy and stiff.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Never buy skis without trying the identical setup first.
HAHAHAHA!!! Good luck with all that...
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
alright...well i went up to Vertical Drop Ski & Snow yesterday and the guy there set me up. I got a pair of 168cm Nordica Gran Sport 10 XSBs, Solomon Mission 5 boots, and K2 Automatic poles. what do you all think of that set? The guy who helped me seemed like he really knew what he was talking about and all of the stuff I got seemed like it will work great.
post #16 of 17
Sounds like a good fit for you. Are you going anytime soon? Might want to wear those boots a few minutes while watching TV. Never heard of Automatic ski poles.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post
Never heard of Automatic ski poles.
haha that's a funny thing because i haven't either...i also have issues typing sometimes.

is there a way to break the boots in other than just skiing in them?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion