EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Help me pick a ski for west coast conditions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me pick a ski for west coast conditions

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
A friend has asked me to help find a ski for west coast conditions -- CA , BC type mountains and also in New Zealand (which he informs me is similar). He's big - 6'1", 240+ lbs -- and a good natural athlete and skier but does not overanalyze things and does not want a quiver of multiple skis for different conditions. Here on the east coast he seems to like the Head XP 100ti I got him - 177 cm. -- but wants something more versatile (and wouldn't mind lighter) in a new ski. I'm looking for a late model used or new-old stock type deal, and want to avoid any "system" ski that's hostage to Marker bindings.

My first thoughts are Head IM.82 or IM88 in 182-ish lengths, or Dynastar 8800 (or whatever the current version is called) which I imagine would be a bit lighter than the Head Monsters and more of a contrast to his current XP 100.

Other ideas: Elan 777/888. Fischer Watea series has some appeal but I have my doubts for a heavier skier.

Thoughts on those, or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
post #2 of 22
How does he ski? How good is he? What does he like to ski? Could go on and on.
post #3 of 22
188 bros; 183/190 goats; ac4; mantras; bluehouse district; armada ants; line prophets...lots of others
post #4 of 22
Monster 88, bonus if you can find a pair of the red ones, the orange ones were undoubtably the UGLIEST skis I have ever seen.
I am 6'4 about 220 and ski the 188, put a small lift on them and the width of the ski dissapears.
I have mine mounted with a HD14 railflex binding, which allows a small range of movement, to aid in initiation of needed, or slid back in softer snow.
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
How does he ski? How good is he? What does he like to ski? Could go on and on.
I've asked him those very questions and gotten modest and vague answers, and he likes to ski "everything." I've only skied boring groomers in the east with him but he's competent, fast and very fit. More of a power than finesse skier. He's skied his whole life and seems to get in a lot of skiing out west due to travel perks in his work and the occasional family ski trip -- always has a story of going into steeps or off piste in Whistler etc. He started decades ago and the XP100's are the first modern ski he's owned but he adapted to them and also has adapted pretty easily to whatever rental gear he's on. But he's just oblivious to equipment - which makes me think he's a pretty good, he just adapts and blasts through. Hence the quest for his one ski quiver.
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAH View Post
Monster 88, bonus if you can find a pair of the red ones, the orange ones were undoubtably the UGLIEST skis I have ever seen.
I am 6'4 about 220 and ski the 188, put a small lift on them and the width of the ski dissapears.
I have mine mounted with a HD14 railflex binding, which allows a small range of movement, to aid in initiation of needed, or slid back in softer snow.
Railflex base is enough lift for this ? Or on a plate?
post #7 of 22
if he's that big and powerful, put him on some late model 186 dynastar legend pro's. i can ski them at 175lb. even if he's not that good, he's got an extra 65+ pounds to help him flex the skis. they will rule the west. period.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
Railflex base is enough lift for this ? Or on a plate?
Railflex should be plenty of lift.
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
Thanks all.



I've asked him those very questions and gotten modest and vague answers, and he likes to ski "everything." I've only skied boring groomers in the east with him but he's competent, fast and very fit. More of a power than finesse skier. He's skied his whole life and seems to get in a lot of skiing out west due to travel perks in his work and the occasional family ski trip -- always has a story of going into steeps or off piste in Whistler etc. He started decades ago and the XP100's are the first modern ski he's owned but he adapted to them and also has adapted pretty easily to whatever rental gear he's on. But he's just oblivious to equipment - which makes me think he's a pretty good, he just adapts and blasts through. Hence the quest for his one ski quiver.
For that I would want something stiffer and bigger then the heads, more along the lines of a dynastar legend pro or 188 stiff bro. If it were me, I would go with the bro, they are amazing in all conditions.
post #10 of 22
Considering that he has a pair of Heads, he should get a pair of 188 Bros as a versatile, all-around ski or a pair of 186 Lhasa Pows especially if he wants a ski that will excel in powder and crud, yet still perform on groomers. For his weight I definitely would not go any shorter than 185-188s. And since you say he is a natural the Bro 188 or Lhasa Pows will suit him well as long as he stays in the front seat.
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
No doubt the Bros are a good choice but hard to find a deal on them. Not that they're not worth the price but he's not really into gear that much that he'd rather pay twice for Bros what he could spend on a new old stock Fischer or Head.

What about the Scotts that keep showing up on Tramdock -- any thoughts? Not the P3 but the Punisher maybe?
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
No doubt the Bros are a good choice but hard to find a deal on them. Not that they're not worth the price but he's not really into gear that much that he'd rather pay twice for Bros what he could spend on a new old stock Fischer or Head.

What about the Scotts that keep showing up on Tramdock -- any thoughts? Not the P3 but the Punisher maybe?
186 dynastar lp's are NOT hard to find. get 'em. i've skied 191 mantras, 188 bro's, and 186 lp's. for your size and style, go with the lp's. no doubt about it.
post #13 of 22
Skip all the drama - have him buy my Blizzard T9's.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
188 bros; 183/190 goats; ac4; mantras; bluehouse district; armada ants; line prophets...lots of others
Irul got a good list here.

Also add the Fischer Watea 101. the 2008 and 2009 are stiffer under foot.

At 240+, he probably wants to stay around 190cm and 100mm +/- 5mm in the waist to get any float out of the ski.

At 225-230, I find I can get reasonable float out of a 191 Mantra. Enough that I will travel just with that ski. I also have the 194 LP it a little stiff for good float, but great at everything else except for bumps.
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
Skip all the drama - have him buy my Blizzard T9's.
They're on the list, for sure! Friend is out of town for a couple of days so I'm putting options together for his return. Also have to check his BSL, with two mounts already I am hoping he's close enough to the current setup that it wouldn't need redrilling.
post #16 of 22
Off topic, but I thought I'd point out that this is post #1,000,000 (one-million) on EpicSki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
Thanks all.



I've asked him those very questions and gotten modest and vague answers, and he likes to ski "everything." I've only skied boring groomers in the east with him but he's competent, fast and very fit. More of a power than finesse skier. He's skied his whole life and seems to get in a lot of skiing out west due to travel perks in his work and the occasional family ski trip -- always has a story of going into steeps or off piste in Whistler etc. He started decades ago and the XP100's are the first modern ski he's owned but he adapted to them and also has adapted pretty easily to whatever rental gear he's on. But he's just oblivious to equipment - which makes me think he's a pretty good, he just adapts and blasts through. Hence the quest for his one ski quiver.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
Off topic, but I thought I'd point out that this is post #1,000,000 (one-million) on EpicSki.
I got in just under the wire.

Congrats to all.
post #18 of 22
Head iSuperShape Magnum 177 cm if he likes more time on piste but skis everywhere.

Head Monster iM 78 183 cm if he's about equal split on and off piste.

These are especially good for your friend if he puts any carving into his skiing. Note that the sizes I listed are the longest (and stiffest) available in these skis for the strong, skilled, hard charging skier.
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
Off topic, but I thought I'd point out that this is post #1,000,000 (one-million) on EpicSki.
Thanks for pointing that out, I was confused by the brass band and television crews at my doorstep. The prize money though is gratefully accepted; after paying off my mortgage and the kids' college, I donated the balance to build two schools and a hospital in Zimbabwe.

Kind of ironic, that the 1,000,000th post on Epicski is about my friend who is "oblivious to equipment"!
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftSnowGuy View Post
Head iSuperShape Magnum 177 cm if he likes more time on piste but skis everywhere.

Head Monster iM 78 183 cm if he's about equal split on and off piste.

These are especially good for your friend if he puts any carving into his skiing. Note that the sizes I listed are the longest (and stiffest) available in these skis for the strong, skilled, hard charging skier.
Thanks. Any thoughts on the im77? Some great deals too be had on new old stock in his size (183). I know there's more difference than the 1 mm -- but seems like another good 50/50 type ski. A lot slimmer than many of the recommendations but still a lot wider and more versatile than his current setup.
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, I was confused by the brass band and television crews at my doorstep. The prize money though is gratefully accepted; after paying off my mortgage and the kids' college, I donated the balance to build two schools and a hospital in Zimbabwe.

Kind of ironic, that the 1,000,000th post on Epicski is about my friend who is "oblivious to equipment"!
I think you are getting an EpicSki Beanie and a sticker. Good luck with the college tuition.

The millionth post could have been about anything at all. At least the word "ski" was in it.
post #22 of 22
I agree with LP or mantra.. He could also look into the Movement Thunders in 187.. 89 underfoot and they ABSOLUTELY RIP.. He's a big powerful guy who will want a ski that will not feel like a noodle underfoot..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Help me pick a ski for west coast conditions