EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › marker griffon and jester questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

marker griffon and jester questions

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I was just wondering if these bindings have the adjustable length feature like other freeride bindings? and if the have the feature that allows the front of your binding to release if you have a backwards twisting fall (or phantom fall i think its called).
Thanks
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecti036 View Post
I was just wondering if these bindings have the adjustable length feature like other freeride bindings? and if the have the feature that allows the front of your binding to release if you have a backwards twisting fall (or phantom fall i think its called).
Thanks
hectic036, they have seperate toe & heelpieces which are attached independently so the length adjustment is only via the forward pressure adjustment. Your tech would mount them with a jig set to your boot length - which assumes that the heelpiece is in it's the centre of travel. I'm not sure of the specific amount of adjustment on the Jester/Griffon but it should do cope with 10mm either way.

If you're a Dots Dirty Dozen then your new toys will likely be mounted with Vists unless you say otherwise. I've got a pair of Preachers coming
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
i kinda like those vists but i havent really heard much about their bindings but i do know that they make some of the best racing skis out there
i checked out you link in you signature is that you site and shop?
if so how do the jesters compare to the vists?
post #4 of 10
Marker Griffon and jester bindings do not have upward release features on the toe pieces.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
do the vists have upward release?
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecti036 View Post
do the vists have upward release?
Yes they do, however on the 816's & up this function is deactivated by two red plastic blocks inserted in the underside on the toe piece. If you're not a high end racer skiing on closed prepared runs then it's recommended to remove these block to activate the vertical toe release function. For liability reasons I remove them on all the Vists I sell/mount & the user can put them back in if they want. I've also removed them on my own bindings.

If PM'd you some info.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamindoggies View Post
Marker Griffon and jester bindings do not have upward release features on the toe pieces.
Don't forget the fact that the new Griffon/Jester heel pieces are modeled off of the Duke, which is designed to work with both alpine and AT boots heels... so they tend to chew up the heels of alpine boots!! Also, they have a pesky habit of letting the boot "click in" crooked. A REAL alpine heel is self-centering.

Hey Dave!
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
cool
thanks a lot guys
all the info really helped
i think im gonna go for the vist v816's then
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecti036 View Post
cool
thanks a lot guys
all the info really helped
i think im gonna go for the vist v816's then
I just mounted up some V614's with Speedlock plates on come carvers, they are bomber. I also mounted up some Jesters on my 888's earlier today too. On a wider ski, I like the Grif-sters, on a narrow frontside ski, I do like the Vists.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
Don't forget the fact that the new Griffon/Jester heel pieces are modeled off of the Duke, which is designed to work with both alpine and AT boots heels... so they tend to chew up the heels of alpine boots!! Also, they have a pesky habit of letting the boot "click in" crooked. A REAL alpine heel is self-centering.

Hey Dave!

Be careful, the Jester and Griffon do not work with AT boots that do not have alpine DIN soles. Only the Duke and Baron work work with AT boots that have Vibram soles. This is from the adjustable toe piece height on the Duke and Baron.

Yes, the Duke and Baron have trouble with some softer (plastic) and older AT boots.

HB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › marker griffon and jester questions