EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › SLC vs. Yellowstone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SLC vs. Yellowstone

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I was wondering if anyone has advice/opinions as to whether the salt lake city canyons (alta, snobird, and solitiude), jackson or big sky would be a better first western trip for some east coast skiers. everyone going is a good skier. would like to ski some real tough/steep terrain, although anything will be bigger than what we are used to. consider price for hotel accomidations, lifetickets, and overall experience for some 25 yr old guys. would like to ski 4 or 5 days with airfare and hotel for around 1000 bucks. i know this is probably wishful thinking, we are flexable, just a starting point goal i guess??
post #2 of 18
Those are all good choices. Accessability & budget make SLC the easiest.
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambrose83 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has advice/opinions as to whether the salt lake city canyons (alta, snobird, and solitiude), jackson or big sky would be a better first western trip for some east coast skiers. everyone going is a good skier. would like to ski some real tough/steep terrain, although anything will be bigger than what we are used to. consider price for hotel accomidations, lifetickets, and overall experience for some 25 yr old guys. would like to ski 4 or 5 days with airfare and hotel for around 1000 bucks. i know this is probably wishful thinking, we are flexable, just a starting point goal i guess??
I think thats doable in SLC. although I drive everywhere so I dont know what air fare is.
post #4 of 18
SLC is your best bet. SLC is a hub for Delta. Stay in SLC or Sandy and use public transit to get up into Big/Little Cottonwood Canyon. Better yet, stay at the Alta Peruvian for just a little more $.
post #5 of 18
Southwest had a half off sale to SLC but it ended yesterday. Delta was at least matching the fare from my airport. It was $200 roundtrip with all taxes. Unfortunately it ended last night and I was quite furious as that probably just priced me out of an early January trip there myself.
post #6 of 18
As a fellow East Coaster (New York), I'd say SLC. For the real budget option, stay in Salt Lake and ski Alta/Snowbird area. Park City is nice, and actually not that expensive, but Alta/Snowbird are better mountains, in my opinion.

Flights to SLC are way cheaper (and easier) than any other ski destination in part because it's a Delta Hub. Jackson is a mild-nuisance to get to, while Montana is quite a pain.
post #7 of 18
I would go the SLC route, lots of different places and prices are probably cheaper overall for the trip. If you are going there and can fly out early you can get a free day ( 1/2 day) of skiing on the day of your arrival at either Deer Valley, Park city or the Canyons with the 1st tracks program that those resorts work with the airlines. Also check out Salt Lake super pass for discount tickets from orbitz, or travelocity. You should be able to hit close to your price range.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
As a fellow East Coaster (New York), I'd say SLC. For the real budget option, stay in Salt Lake and ski Alta/Snowbird area. Park City is nice, and actually not that expensive, but Alta/Snowbird are better mountains, in my opinion.

Flights to SLC are way cheaper (and easier) than any other ski destination in part because it's a Delta Hub. Jackson is a mild-nuisance to get to, while Montana is quite a pain.
While SLC is a nice direct flight, it is just one jump to Whitefish, not that much of a pain. We have direct flights from Minneapolis, Denver, and SLC that can take you from the East Coast with just one change out of Newark. And the lift tickets and lodging are probably cheaper here.
post #9 of 18
SLC is always the cheapest. A nice hotel room with breakfast can be had for $70(less if you must!) in Sandy/Midvale, lift tickets are $55/day at the hotel desk. Car for $30/day(gets you up canyons in a dry day, (take the bus if it snows) or SUV for $80/day. Eat easily at night for $15. Take your pick of 9 different resorts.
post #10 of 18
SLC will be cheaper and faster with some great skiing options. I think Jackson is a more "western" trip with some cool non skiing options. I love skiing SLC and Ogden, but think Jackson is the best mountian I've ever skied on. I'm biased though.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Is there a bus system or something to take you from mountain to mountain within the canyons? alta to snowbird and or solitude?
post #12 of 18
definitely slc mostly because airfare is cheapest. montana is just a quick 1.5 hour flight from slc but the price goes up a lot. better snow early on in slc too. you can fly, stay ski and even rent a car for under $1000. check out the homestead inn and suites i think it is called in sugarhouse for a place to stay. you can hop right on the interstate from there and it's a decent location in salt lake.
post #13 of 18
>Is there a bus system or something to take you from mountain to mountain within the canyons?

cheapskates(like me) don't stay in the canyons, you stay in the city, Midvale/Sandy and drive up, less than 30 minutes, you will pick a different resort each day. Look at budget, either $30/d 2 wheel or $85/day 4 wheel, need that if it snow. or take the bus. you should get some kind of car.
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
SLC will be cheaper and faster with some great skiing options. I think Jackson is a more "western" trip with some cool non skiing options. I love skiing SLC and Ogden, but think Jackson is the best mountian I've ever skied on. I'm biased though.

I completely agree and being from Philly doesn't make you biased, it just makes you better
post #15 of 18
there's a ski bus from slc to the alta, snowbird, brighton and solitude. if you buy the ski salt lake superpass, it's free. there are plenty of cheap options in the valley, the cheapest i found being intown suites, at $250 a week. they only allow 2 people per room though, and you have to pay for a full week. the superpass is available at a discount at travelocity until december 15. you can buy a 3 or 4 day pass and you get an extra day free. 3 day i think is $106 and you get a 4th day free. my airfare from buffalo last year was around $350. i think my car rental was around $15 a day, but keep in mind if you plan on driving up the canyon, it's best to rent a 4 wheel drive or you won't be allowed on the road when it's snowing.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzboy283 View Post
I completely agree and being from Philly doesn't make you biased, it just makes you better
Different yes, better.... Not likely. I am from Philly and specifically from Blue Bell. I lived on Greentree Rd for 14 years. and went to Wissahickon High School. I still have fond memories of riding the school bus to Spring Mountain for ski club nights on Tuesdays. I do miss Pudgies.
post #17 of 18
Here's the thing that's missing from this thread -- the crowds. SLC has good choices and it can be done cheaply. But it has far more people than you will see at Big Sky.

If I were you, I'd check out what you really can get for planes and lodging for SLC and Bozeman. Then make your decision.

The terrain at BS is every bit as gnarly as Snowbird. But the longest lift line I have ever seen was 2 minutes on the lower mountain, and 15 minutes for the tram.

Mike
post #18 of 18
Fortunately for us Montanans, East Coasters think that waiting for a liftline is okay if it's less than they do back East. While we've become accustomed to NO wait midweek and bitch if it happens.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › SLC vs. Yellowstone