EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head Monster iM 78 vs Elan Magfire 78 Ti vs Fischer Watea 78?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Head Monster iM 78 vs Elan Magfire 78 Ti vs Fischer Watea 78?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hi - I'm new to this forum and would like some advice and or feedback on the above skis. These 3 seem to fit my price point and overall needs, but what are your thoughts as to the best fit for me?

Age - 49

Intermediate + looking to improve my game and venture off the groomers a bit more often

A bit heavier - 225lbs. / 6' 0" - should I be looking at the mid-170's for length?

Will be skiing primarily in the Canadian Rockies (Alberta mostly) and realistically will be doing 60- 70 % on-piste vs off

Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 17
I have to refrain from offering my opinion, as I've a pair of the Watea 78s with Axial 120 bindings in a 176 possibly for sale...I haven't skied them, but I've got too many skis of about that size right now...trying to decide which to keep and which to sell.
post #3 of 17
I was looking at those same skis in the last two months. I ended up with the Head's. Just after reading all the reviews on everything it fit my needs the best. In reality it was pretty hard to find anything really negative on them.

Monster's seem to have next to no top end on them. Push them and they respond on pretty much any condition with complete confidence except deep powder. Quicker turns then the other two. Edge hold seems to always go to the Head's also. Fischers seem to excel in soft snow conditions but then lack in other areas. Elans it was hard to find much info on them. A few reviews I found where good. I'd try demo each of them if possible. But if you can't and your forced to choose one the Head's seem to be the safest choice.


P.S.: Watea's for this year are the same as last year. So save money and buu last years model. Plus IMO last year graphics are better.
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 

Location?

I'm in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and the majority of my skiing will be in the Banff/Lake Louise area with occasional trips into the interior of British Columbia.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylolow View Post
I was looking at those same skis in the last two months. I ended up with the Head's. Just after reading all the reviews on everything it fit my needs the best. In reality it was pretty hard to find anything really negative on them.

Monster's seem to have next to no top end on them. Push them and they respond on pretty much any condition with complete confidence except deep powder. Quicker turns then the other two. Edge hold seems to always go to the Head's also. Fischers seem to excel in soft snow conditions but then lack in other areas. Elans it was hard to find much info on them. A few reviews I found where good. I'd try demo each of them if possible. But if you can't and your forced to choose one the Head's seem to be the safest choice.


P.S.: Watea's for this year are the same as last year. So save money and buu last years model. Plus IMO last year graphics are better.
...ditto for the Heads - but this years have new tip and tail caps.
post #6 of 17
Head's will hold up better to high speeds and really give you the most back when you want to push and really rip yet not be too much ski if you want to hold back a little. I demo'd them last year and fell in love. Haven't bought them yet, but more a budget thing than anything else at this point.

I'm 6'0 195 and have been on a 176, 178 without any problems
post #7 of 17
I don't think I'd even consider the Watea 78 at your weight. They would be pretty soft for you. Watea 84 maybe, but not the 78.

I ended up going with the Watea 94 over the 84 to fill out the wide end of my ski quiver. The 94 might even be a good choice for you and where you ski. It's pretty forgiving and would give lots more float in the soft stuff.

You might even want to go a bit wider than Head IM78. You are going to see a lot more soft snow than hardpack. Head IM82?

I have the Head Monster 77, and really consider it a wider hard snow ski.

Good luck with the search!

Mike
post #8 of 17
At 225lb and 6', you should be looking at the 182-185cm range. I think intermediate status should guide the ski choice, but not ski length.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 

..ski length

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
At 225lb and 6', you should be looking at the 182-185cm range. I think intermediate status should guide the ski choice, but not ski length.
Point taken but the reason I ask is because most are ski shop staff that I have spoken to say the length, generally, should be about up to one's nose when standing. I'm 183 cm tall but I assume that you mean the skier weight/ski length correlation is more important in my particular case.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obanthedog View Post
...ditto for the Heads - but this years have new tip and tail caps.
Yep I got the 09 model.

In your area like the other poster said you may want to look at the 82. Should give you that extra lift and float in the snow and lose very little on the groomers. Most the snow your skiing is going to be what many would consider great conditions. So the 82's should perform flawless on the groomers for you.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 

...the Head Monster iM82's

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylolow View Post
Yep I got the 09 model.

In your area like the other poster said you may want to look at the 82. Should give you that extra lift and float in the snow and lose very little on the groomers. Most the snow your skiing is going to be what many would consider great conditions. So the 82's should perform flawless on the groomers for you.
I did look at those 82's and they have had decent reviews too. Do you think they might be too much ski for my level (intermediate/aspiring expert)? Other than the waist what are the significant differences between the 78 and 82? Are the 82's considerably stiffer in flex? Price difference is a paltry 50 bucks so I would definitely consider them.
post #12 of 17
Unless you also have a narrower ski, I would not go fatter. While you gain in soft conditions, you will lose in carving capability. As an aspiring skier, my recommendation would be to learn to ski hardpack well before going fatter.
post #13 of 17
I ski on the Head 78's and the 82's. If you go with the Heads stick with the M78, it is a much better carving ski that will also handle the off-piste just fine. One of the aspect's that I really like about the head skis is that it is very forgiving for an expert ski.
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 

Any Elan Magfire 78 Ti feedback?

These are new this year and I reckon they are more like the Heads than the Fischer Watea's. Does anyone have any experience with them?
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obanthedog View Post
I did look at those 82's and they have had decent reviews too. Do you think they might be too much ski for my level (intermediate/aspiring expert)? Other than the waist what are the significant differences between the 78 and 82? Are the 82's considerably stiffer in flex? Price difference is a paltry 50 bucks so I would definitely consider them.
I’ve skied both Heads where the 82 in a 177 cm (122-82-108 r. 17.7) length could work at your weight [was the weight you posted from the bathroom scale or fully decked out for skiing?] For the 78 I’d say a 183 cm (125-79-111 r. 16.8). Unfortunately I just don’t think you’ll be stable enough on the 78 in a 177 length in variable snow off piste or holding edge on the firmer stuff.

Both skis have even flex with the 78’s front end softer in the bumps with a wider shovel that picks up nicely paving the way for the rest of the ski in boot deep stuff. The 78 also has a terrific ability to deliver the shape you seek without fighting back, has plenty of power on demand and is an excellent all purpose ski [tuned at 1/3]. The 82 is a bit stiffer overall with a bias more at the front end. Its forte is lock on edge grip, quick edge to edge movement, long turns and rock solid stability. Its a fast ski with this no end in sight feel to it. The 82 is skied aggressively and does not like you letting off whereas the 78 will let you take a breath now and then without a punishing reminder you're not fully paying attention...although you still need to stay centered up.

You’ll have the tools with either ski to amp your game and both would be perfect at LL or SSV resorts. If you’d like to fast track improvement and lean towards bigger GS turns, tend to avoid bumps and trees and need to really hold edge on harder snow go 82. On the other hand the 78 is the seminal all purpose ski.

I have not noticed a specific IM 78/82 comparison thread on the forum but I have sure read some great anecdotal 78/82 comments from a number of people embedded within almost any IM 78 thread reference or Head mid fat discussion. Keep searching and hope you’ll find some more help here. Good skiing!
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obanthedog View Post
These are new this year and I reckon they are more like the Heads than the Fischer Watea's. Does anyone have any experience with them?
I have been on the Mag 78ti skis a couple of times now. Very nice skis, good pop out of the turn, very carvy and GS-like. A little more lively than the Head iM78. I ski the Mag 78 in a 176, the Head iM78 in a 171, and the Mag 78ti is a touch more stable, but not as stout and big-ski like as the iM78 in 177cm. Both are fun skis, the iM78 is a touch lighter as well, the Mag78ti has a more grounded feel to it.

I haven't been on the Watea 78's, but the 84's are pretty nice, very forgiving, and light. I can find their top-end a bit too easily, though.

My preference would be for the Mag 78ti or the Head iM78. Both are awesome skis at this level. Also, don't overlook the Blizzard Magnum 8.1: it is a great choice as well, perhaps a little lighter and softer than the Head and Elan, but still quite stable and snappy.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks...

Thank-you to all who responded. It looks like a toss-up between the Elan 78 Ti's and the Head 78's.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head Monster iM 78 vs Elan Magfire 78 Ti vs Fischer Watea 78?