EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › The best 88-100mm crudbuster skis? Your opinion please....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The best 88-100mm crudbuster skis? Your opinion please.... - Page 3

post #61 of 73

If you like a ski with early rise in front, traditional tail behind, there are some others in that range, too. Elan Spire is nice if you are looking for lighter weight and more of a broken snow emphasis that can still carve, handle rough conditions. Can be had at a very good price right now. I have always been a bit higher on the Mantra than SJ, it carves like a demon and slays crud. But it's work in bumps cuz of the same tail that makes it carve well, and it doesn't float as much as others its width, so specialized. And if you have the $$$, the Kastle BMX98 is a superb all-rounder with a slight bias to crud and pow, very smooth in bumps and tight places, carves beautifully, has a speed limit on ice. Last, let us not forget the Bonafide, which seems to be playing out post-meme as a really versatile, strong everywhere ski for bigger guys who like a mild rockered tail and a more lively feel. 

post #62 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

Three that immediately come to mind are the Legend 85 and the Enduro 800 or 850................ain't that a coinky-dink?

 

SJ

...no, i rented the Enduro xt 800 twice this season with no complaints. Only 79mm under foot @ 168cm yet still a nice all a rounder ski. The shop told me i'm to light for the xt 850 @ 5'7" 140lbs. I'd consider buying it but am not big on the idea of my binding of choice a look pivot mounted on a salomon ski...that would be coinky-dink, lol.

 

post #63 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post

The old Elan 777


I still say my old 192 777s are the best crud ski ever.  Lots of wood, lots of metal, not much sidecut. 

post #64 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by monax View Post


yes a salomon 850 or new blizzard 8.5 ti no?

 


Salomon gets the nod

 

post #65 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossymcg View Post

what we calling crud? wont most skis if skied fast enough blast through crud?



Well anyone who skied prior to fats, skied crud with old school straight ski's.  So the answer is yes if a person is skilled enough.   Put skinnies on todays generation and they will look like preschoolers out there..  

post #66 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonorchid View Post

...no, i rented the Enduro xt 800 twice this season with no complaints. Only 79mm under foot @ 168cm yet still a nice all a rounder ski. The shop told me i'm to light for the xt 850 @ 5'7" 140lbs. I'd consider buying it but am not big on the idea of my binding of choice a look pivot mounted on a salomon ski...that would be coinky-dink, lol.

 

My bud is almost exactly your size and weight and he loved the 850's,  and he is an intermediate,  upped his ability in a matter or hours.  Might want to try them.  
 

 

post #67 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post



Well anyone who skied prior to fats, skied crud with old school straight ski's.  So the answer is yes if a person is skilled enough.   Put skinnies on todays generation and they will look like preschoolers out there..  


So you're saying folks pop on a pair of fat skis and it allows them to perform better? Or not perform better but allows them to ski terrain they wouldn't other wise be able to,
And you say skinny skis would sub 80mm be classed as skinny?
I was in a ski shop the other week talking with the sales lad, he outright told me its not possible to ski off groomers with out rocker and fat skis,
post #68 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossymcg View Post


So you're saying folks pop on a pair of fat skis and it allows them to perform better? Or not perform better but allows them to ski terrain they wouldn't other wise be able to,
And you say skinny skis would sub 80mm be classed as skinny?
I was in a ski shop the other week talking with the sales lad, he outright told me its not possible to ski off groomers with out rocker and fat skis,


The sales lad sounds like he is just trying to put you into gear that he thinks you will be best at,  yes it is totally possible to ski ANYTHING in skinny ski's, hundreds of thousands of people did it for centuries prior to fats (not saying it's easier).       Skinny skies are actually in the 60 and 70mm range, but in todays standard I guess anything under 88?  would be considered skinny... 

Ski manufactures still make and sell skis' in the mid 60 mm range, they are great for ripping up hard pack and obviously racing.    I skied the back country for 15 years on various skinny ski's. 

I still have a pair in the garage, along with my fiberglass ski poles (which are decades old and still awesome!  ).    

Here is a quick history of skiing at it's standards and experiments.  

(kind of a cool article)

http://www.skiinghistory.org/index.php/2011/08/evolution-of-ski-shape/

post #69 of 73

I would like to cast my vote for Ski Logik's Ullr's Chariots. I have never skied on a better ski. I had to get the tuning correct and once I did, these skis really do it all. I have used them all winter as my East Coast one ski quiver, and they have been great. I am amazed a 101 mm ski can feel so good.

 

Dawg skied a rockered version of the ski, that apparently needs more development. The "cambered" twin tip is completed sorted out as long as the bottom is flat and the edge bevels are  proper. I just skied them in two days of East Coast crud, spring mashed potato snow and they were phenominal. I just skied yesterday in 85 deg cloudless weather. Melting like crazy and really fun.

post #70 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bttocs View Post

I would like to cast my vote for Ski Logik's Ullr's Chariots. I have never skied on a better ski. I had to get the tuning correct and once I did, these skis really do it all. I have used them all winter as my East Coast one ski quiver, and they have been great. I am amazed a 101 mm ski can feel so good.

 

Dawg skied a rockered version of the ski, that apparently needs more development. The "cambered" twin tip is completed sorted out as long as the bottom is flat and the edge bevels are  proper. I just skied them in two days of East Coast crud, spring mashed potato snow and they were phenominal. I just skied yesterday in 85 deg cloudless weather. Melting like crazy and really fun.


Have wanted to give the Chariots a spin for a few years now, but I haven't run into a convenient demo opportunity.

 

What edge bevel(s) worked out for you?

 

I'm always mildly astounded how differently a ski can feel at 3 degrees than it does at 2.

 

post #71 of 73

Old thread, resurrected, still applicable.

 

Mythics (hard to find. I will sell my old ones)

Blizzard Atlas (more versatile then MR's, great at speed and crud - new daily driver)

 

 

post #72 of 73

I found a sleeper last weekend, the Head Motorhead Inferno.  104mm, big sweet spot and easy to ski through the junk.

Available for <$350 now!

post #73 of 73

I have the K2 Hardsides for my all around skis. They blast through all the crud, float in the powder and can go anywhere. I love them. Set up with some Marker Barons for go anywhere ability. For skiing with the family, they are great. On true pow days I go wider.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › The best 88-100mm crudbuster skis? Your opinion please....