EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › New York City Daytrips (sans car!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New York City Daytrips (sans car!)

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Like many New York City dwellers I don't have easy access to a car, and so am looking for day trips by bus to some good resorts. I know there are plenty to the Catskill resorts (Belleayre, Windham, Hunter...), but I'm looking for some higher vert. Trips that hit Whiteface or some VT resorts, that sort of thing. I know Emilio's has a few trips to Stratton and Okemo, but do any Bears know of any other day packages? Pickups on the West Side are nice, but hell, I'm willing to do anything to get out there and ski!
post #2 of 19
http://www.newjerseyskicouncil.org/
Look through the list of ski clubs,most run trips
post #3 of 19
Day trip to VT?????

Too shock to comment!!!

[EDIT]
OK, gotten over the shock.

Get a zip car.
post #4 of 19
Check out the www.metnyski.org

Ski Clubs run trips and are a great way to hook up with fellow skiers!

Hope this helps

CJ
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post
Day trip to VT?????

Too shock to comment!!!

[EDIT]
OK, gotten over the shock.

Get a zip car.
I had the same reaction. I think OP has gotta mean day as in weekend with day up, ski day, then day back. I took the bus to Huntah from LI time or two and seem to remember it picked up in Huntington around at 6am and got back around 10 pm. A "day triip" to Vermont would probably involve skiing from noon til 3 at best.

I recall pulling an all nighter leaving around 3 am to get to Mt Snow for first chair. I skied til around 3pm, and don't remember how late I got home. No way I could hang with that these days at my age
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
I had the same reaction. I think OP has gotta mean day as in weekend with day up, ski day, then day back. I took the bus to Huntah from LI time or two and seem to remember it picked up in Huntington around at 6am and got back around 10 pm. A "day triip" to Vermont would probably involve skiing from noon til 3 at best.

I recall pulling an all nighter leaving around 3 am to get to Mt Snow for first chair. I skied til around 3pm, and don't remember how late I got home. No way I could hang with that these days at my age
You hit it on the head. Emilio's Ski Shop trips to Okemo and Stratton leave around 3am for a day of skiing, then leave the mountain at 4:30pm. Yes, I'm that desperate for good skiing, and yes, I'm lucky enough to be at an age where I can pull that off. We'll see how long that lasts! I really appreciate the suggestions, just gathering all my options so I can find the best deal and get out on the snow as many days as possible. I figure another good way to get to some mountains is to post a Gathering, Let's Go trip and offer to pay for gas
post #7 of 19
You can fly out of LGA into Burlington by just after 9am. You might be able to catch a bus or taxi and get to Stowe/Smuggs/Bolton by 10:30-ish. Check Expedia for flight and the mountains for ground transport info.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Oh hey, now that's a great idea. Any idea what a good price for those flights are? I'm assuming they'll be pretty expensive since it's not a very popular air route. Gonna go on farecast.com in a bit to check it out, but I figured you might know the range of prices offhand. Have you ever done that trip yourself?
post #9 of 19
You could just rent a car for the weekend.
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
You could just rent a car for the weekend.
That's definitely one of the options, but it really only becomes cost-effective with a group of people helping to pay for the car and the cost of gas. I'm also looking for cost-friendly options that I can do on my own and not have to worry about if my friends will wake up in time to get up to the Adirondacks for first chair .
post #11 of 19
I have rented a little ecnobox for very little money and if youre lucky as I was the cheapest cars get rented out quick, and so they upgrade you free. I made my reservation online. Enterprise.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by reducedfatoreo View Post
Oh hey, now that's a great idea. Any idea what a good price for those flights are? I'm assuming they'll be pretty expensive since it's not a very popular air route. Gonna go on farecast.com in a bit to check it out, but I figured you might know the range of prices offhand. Have you ever done that trip yourself?
As low as $226 round trip for flight on United. You'll be surprised (I was) how many flights that takes that route each day.

As for the affordability, I have to say I couldn't afford it but you didn't state your budget. You only mentioned you are dying to ski. Maybe it's worth it to you. Actually, that is not a bad price given that a daily lift ticket at Stowe/Killington is $84/$82 respectively.
post #13 of 19
Don't you have to rent a car to get from Burlington (airport) to the mountains?
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanwmr View Post
As for the affordability, I have to say I couldn't afford it but you didn't state your budget..
As cheap as possible ...the bus trips to Okemo are about $80 including lift tickets, which is nice, but I hear that resort and the others they hit are kinda crowded. Maybe I should try getting to Plattekill and giving up my dream of better vert?

Yeah, I don't have a great budget–they don't give recent college grads much salary these days! But I DO have a large appetite for hitting whatever good trails I can!
post #15 of 19
Okemo for $80? Thats pretty damn good! If I were still working in NYC even I might go for that (without the usual entourage ofcourse)!
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by reducedfatoreo View Post
As cheap as possible ...the bus trips to Okemo are about $80 including lift tickets, which is nice, but I hear that resort and the others they hit are kinda crowded. Maybe I should try getting to Plattekill and giving up my dream of better vert?
First off, $80 is a great price for lift and transportation. Ain't no doubt about that. Like RR, if I was in NYC, I would jump on that at least once.

Now, as for Plattekill, albeit my bad experience there due to no snow last year and I never skied Okemo, the word is that you're gotta get much better vert at Plattekill than at Okemo, especially after a big dump. Crowd will be much less for sure.
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to hit Okemo a couple times with that price for solo excursions. With more than one person, after doing more research and getting all the responses here, I think what makes the most sense is to rent or borrow a car with friends (or Bears) and head up to Plattekill/Belleayre for quick day trips, then occasionally go all the way to Whiteface for a couple of weekend jaunts. I think the combination of those ought to slate my thirst for snow at least a little bit! Plattekill and Belleayre seem to be the least crowded for quick outings, and Whiteface can give me that extra dose of high vert I need every once in a while .
post #18 of 19
Good article on this subject in NY Times: http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes....ermont-by-bus/
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Send me a PM if you're headed to VT with Emilio's and want company. I'm hitting Hunter this Sunday to pick up my "(Win)dham + Hun(ter) = Winter" pass ($33 a day for 4 days of skiing can't be beat), and at some point I have to use my free ticket at Stratton, but I'd love to check out Okemo. I'll go set up a GTG now...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › New York City Daytrips (sans car!)