or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nightlife at Sugarbush?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Is there any nightlife at Sugarbush? Last time I was there I was 16, and needless to say I didnt do any barhopping, haha. But, from what I remember, there was 1 bar in the village. Have things changed in recent years? Im going up there for a week this year and am looking forward to the apres skiing.
post #2 of 13
There are 4-5 decent bars in the area, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's "nightlife". There is a pretty solid crowd of locals and skiers at most of the places, just like any ski town bar really. Check out the access road up to South, and the main drag in town.

Me, I used to end the day at the WunderBar at South, and never had much ambition for nightlife beyond that. I skied pretty hard back then, and it took a lot of energy to put al my pieces back together for the next day. A few beers and I was done for the night.
post #3 of 13
The Mad River Barn. Craig is a great bartender, tell him I sent ya.
post #4 of 13
Looking for good restaurants in the valley. Any suggestions?

Standard fare, not overly priced
post #5 of 13
North on 100, when you turn on 17 towards Mad River there is a bar on the left. They have good BBQ and some pool tables.

There is also a flatbread place on route 100 north of the bush I believe. I've never been there, but I've heard it's good.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrulz View Post
Looking for good restaurants in the valley. Any suggestions?

Standard fare, not overly priced


Go to the Den on Rt 100 in Waitsfield, it's one of my favorites. Lots of other good places in the area.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolvesr1 View Post
North on 100, when you turn on 17 towards Mad River there is a bar on the left. They have good BBQ and some pool tables.

There is also a flatbread place on route 100 north of the bush I believe. I've never been there, but I've heard it's good.
The BBQ place is called the Local Folk Smokehouse & is a good place. Good food & lots of beers on tap. Sometimes they have live music on weekends, I believe (but couldn't swear to it). It used to be the Mad Mountain Tavern 4-5 years ago.

American Flatbread is the second place referred to & is excellent for pizza. Not much of a bar/nightlife scene but the pizza is amazing there. They're only open on Fri & Sat nights however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Go to the Den on Rt 100 in Waitsfield, it's one of my favorites. Lots of other good places in the area.
The Den closed last year. It's supposed to re-open this season as a sports bar but it won't be the Den as most have known it.

John Egan's Big World Pub is close to the old Den location & across the street from Local Folk Smokehouse. It's a good & popular place with a bar & good food.

Locals tend to hang out apres ski at the Hyde Away on Rt. 17. It's a great place to hang out & drink although somewhat low key. They also have excellent food.
post #8 of 13
The best place for apres-ski at the Bush is right at the base at the newly expanded Castlerock Pub. Only been open a couple of years. This winter on the weekends it will be hopping with live music although it's not a big place like a Rusty Nail or a Wobbly Barn.

The Purple Moon across the road from American Flatbread usually has live music on the weekends. As mentioned the Local Home BBQ(formally Mad Mountain Tavern) has music as well and the Hyde-Away is the classic apres-ski bar.

Phil's suggestion is not mentioned much, got married there. Not in the bar but the rustic laid back Mad River Barn owned by the infamous Betsy Pratt who first banned snowboarders from MRG. Very low key, rustic but can be fun.

Unfortunatly the Phoenix in Sugarbush Village has died an untimely death and the Blue Tooth was torn down over the summer for low income/employee rentals
post #9 of 13
I was going to ask if the Blue Tooth was still around. I managed to get served there my first time at Sugarbush. I was 15. Place was jammin back then in 1973.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by madskier6 View Post
The Den closed last year. It's supposed to re-open this season as a sports bar but it won't be the Den as most have known it.
Bummer, I used to really enjoy that place. The salad bar was awesome.
post #11 of 13

Nightlife?

Its not what it used to be... back in my college days the drinking age was 18 and we went to the Blue Tooth for live Music and Gallaghers. Now both of those places are gone, I think there are some local hangouts, but I would not call it nightlife, as you would find in Killington. The Mad River Valley is pretty quiet these days.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdnitedrftr View Post
Is there any nightlife at Sugarbush? Last time I was there I was 16, and needless to say I didnt do any barhopping, haha. But, from what I remember, there was 1 bar in the village. Have things changed in recent years? Im going up there for a week this year and am looking forward to the apres skiing.
post #12 of 13

Me and my buddy took a trip up there and stayed a half hour or so away near Montpeiler and there is a GREAT steakhouse down there, but as far as night life..... Eh, im sure there's better, and worse

post #13 of 13

The Blue Tooth , I even made it there back in 1970 something. Went skiing at Sugarbush Mad River  my sophmore year in college during semester break. Second run at Mad River on an icy run my bindings pre leased and I went sliding head first off the trail down a ravine of trees landing at the bottom with my right ski boot off my foot from hitting trees. Thought I broke my leg, gingerly felt my leg for a bone break and didn't think anything was broken. Ended up with a blood clot in my calf and 3 days in the hospital went I goy back home.

 

I have lots of respect for Mad River. It beat me up and spit me out . Never been back.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel