New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Midwest v.s Southeast - Page 2

post #31 of 58
Duly noted telerod15.
post #32 of 58
In Michigan if you're in the left hand lane going under 80, you're going to have a soccer mom in a mini van on your bumper.

It's a very quick pace up there, safe is another subject!
post #33 of 58
Tailgating soccer mom sounds scary .
post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
Dex died TJ last skied the POW 8 with that kid from the PNW.
Oh yeah. Oops
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
Tailgating soccer mom sounds scary .
The soccer moms are pretty irrelevant. It's the pickups with snowmobile trailers driven by guys who've watched way too much NASCAR that you need to watch out for. 95mph within 2 feet of the bumper of the car in front of them with the trailer fishtailing half a lane in each direction.

Fortunately, with the economy imploding and the price of gas going through the roof these yobs are down to about 10% of their former level.
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post
Takes me considerably longer to get home. I-75 at 5-8am is pretty much deserted.
Yeah, you can shave about 15 minutes off by doing the drive at 5am. But you can't shave 45 minutes.

Boyne Mt, Schuss, Caberfae? Yeah, you can get to those in 3:15 if you push it. Nubs? Nah.

Anyway, should I expect to see you there sometime this season?
post #37 of 58

Upon reflection...

So, please allow me to clarify a few things for the record. It's been quite a few years since I've made it up to Nub's that quickly. My days of driving 'well into triple digits' are well into my past. I guess in this regard you could say I have grown up... and you know what? I resent it. I do believe that given the right circumstances, driving on our interstates at well over the speed limit is a reasonably safe endeavor. Experience, however, tells me that speeding tickets are expensive, enough of them would probably make my insurance more expensive and a few more than that would cost me my license to drive. So I have slowed down.

I make good time on long trips by not dawdling and not stopping (or keeping stops short and to a minimum). I do pass most cars I encounter but I do get passed as well.

I regret bringing this line of conversation up and my hope is that it will end here.
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

Anyway, should I expect to see you there sometime this season?
I hope so Walt, I would look forward to it

Would you like a ride?
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post
Would you like a ride?
A ride? I thought we were going to have a race. (c:
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Fortunately, with the economy imploding and the price of gas going through the roof these yobs are down to about 10% of their former level.

???????????????????????????????

Gas is about $2.00 a gallon here. That's half the price it was a few months ago. And even way cheaper than it was a year ago. Or two years ago for that matter. Walt - you need to get out more.

And anybody who thinks MI slednecks are scarey needs to take a trip across Wyoming when it's snowing. Those big rigs will flatten you and keep on going without even noticing.
post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
The soccer moms are pretty irrelevant. It's the pickups with snowmobile trailers driven by guys who've watched way too much NASCAR that you need to watch out for. 95mph within 2 feet of the bumper of the car in front of them with the trailer fishtailing half a lane in each direction.

Fortunately, with the economy imploding and the price of gas going through the roof these yobs are down to about 10% of their former level.
You will be able to tailgate me and go 95mph for about .0001 seconds. It's not going to happen.
post #42 of 58
One thing I will say about MW skiers, and have also heard of myself when out west -- you can always tell a MW skier by the fact that they will make 5 turns for every CO skiers' 1. We make the most of what we have for sure!
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
???????????????????????????????

Gas is about $2.00 a gallon here. That's half the price it was a few months ago. And even way cheaper than it was a year ago. Or two years ago for that matter. Walt - you need to get out more.

And anybody who thinks MI slednecks are scarey needs to take a trip across Wyoming when it's snowing. Those big rigs will flatten you and keep on going without even noticing.

Gas is cheaper but there's no money.
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
Gas is cheaper but there's no money.
Thing is - I'm doing fine. I must live in some kind of weird time vortex or something. I honestly have yet to feel the grip of the Second Great Depression.

..and I still say that big rigs in WY eat slednecks in MI for breakfast.
post #45 of 58
Fascinating sidetrack about interstate speeding aside (I'm with bumpfreaq and so are the non-cooked data) I'd love for the folks familiar with these regions to help me plan a trip through one or the other. I've posted a thread about it. Thanks a ton. Sorry I don't really have anything useful to add to this discussion, other than that I've met very few skiers from the southeast compared to the number I've met to from the midwest.
post #46 of 58
Walt,

With your reference to Mt. Trashmore, I suspect you may live in the Downriver area. That probably gives Bump about a thirty minute head start.

Karl
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
I'm with bumpfreaq
Ha Agreeing with me? You must be the kind of guy that enjoys a slippery slope
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Gas is about $2.00 a gallon here. That's half the price it was a few months ago. And even way cheaper than it was a year ago. Or two years ago for that matter. Walt - you need to get out more.
You're right that I haven't been out dodging snowmobiles since the gas prices starting dropping in September. Then again, neither has anybody else. We'll see whether $2/gal gas brings the sled-heads out in force this winter. Or whether gas stays that low for much longer.

Last season gas was about $3/gal and there were far fewer sled-heads than, say, five years ago when it was under $1.50. The drop in numbers was very apparent. Same thing with the Viagra boats on the lake in the summer - few of them could afford to fill up their speedboat at $4/gal.
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionxprss View Post
With your reference to Mt. Trashmore, I suspect you may live in the Downriver area. That probably gives Bump about a thirty minute head start.
Mt Trashmore refers to Mt Brighton, or any other man made midwestern molehill. Bump and I both live in the same town, but the only time we've skied together was at Beaver Creek a couple years ago.

BTW, what was the name of that downriver hill? It closed a decade ago and I can't remember what it was called...
post #50 of 58
Is this another one of those SEC vs Big 10 threads??
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
BTW, what was the name of that downriver hill? It closed a decade ago and I can't remember what it was called...
Riverview Highlands I think.
post #52 of 58
All this hype bout MW Skiing and specifically times to get here from there...........
Who's in if we have a Michigan GTG up here this year?

I know the hill is small, but we can get some screamin deals at McGuires resort for lodging and amazing lift ticket prices at Caberfae Peaks.

Anyone in?
Anyone have an alternate idea?
post #53 of 58
I like it, I'm in. How about Caberfae one day, Crystal the next?
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
Who's in if we have a Michigan GTG up here this year?
Just say when and where. I've got a White Gold card burning a hole in my pocket and am looking for a good excuse to use it.

A few weeks ago there was some muttering about hitting the Highlands on six-for-one day (Fri Dec 19th).
post #55 of 58
I got a great deal on a pass / room combo with cabby and mcguires. Caberfae is a 4 hour drive from my home, that's about my limit for a day trip. Boyne and Nubs are 5 hours away.

I think the biggest thing that stands out about midwest skiers, is that the hills are crowded on weekends no matter what the weather is doing. I've waiting in as long of lines when it's 50 degrees and raining at Perfect North near Cincinnati as I have on a 25 degree blue bird day.

We know how to make the most out of our 200-500 ft vert and ski as long as the lifts are turning. How many other places have lifts running third trick?
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
I got a great deal on a pass / room combo with cabby and mcguires.
Deals abound at the Mighty C. The local ski shop often has coupons for $9 lift tickets. That's nine as in less than ten. They also have a $149 weekend-only season pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
How many other places have lifts running third trick?
I have no idea. Tell me what "running third trick" means and I might hazard a guess.
post #57 of 58
woops, third trick might be job related slang meaning third shift. Perfect North is open until 1am on weekends, and Mad River Mountain is open until 3 am on weekends. A few years back Paoli Peaks and Perfect North were open from 10pm - 6 am on Saturdays, but looks like they don't do that anymore.
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
How many other places have lifts running third trick?
Very neat. Latest I've skied lift served is midnight in the east.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion