or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What to do with this edge?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
My son has been a week in Austria. What to do with this edge? It's not gonna be much side edge left if try to file it away. How much base edge can a stone grind remove?

post #2 of 14
Take a diamond stone to it to remove any burrs or major weird angle tweaks and don't lose too much sleep?

I'm sure this will be a minority position
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Take a diamond stone to it to remove any burrs or major weird angle tweaks and don't lose too much sleep?

I'm sure this will be a minority position
+1 on this one.

I have a nice little ding like this on my ski as well. I just tuned them up like I normally do, and I can't tell its there.

Mike
post #4 of 14
+2 to the above.

IMHO this looks fine, heck, I'd probably ski 1/2 a season like that...
post #5 of 14
My skis have two days on them and much worse edge damage. Your skis look very nice!
post #6 of 14
How long are you intending to keep the skis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christer View Post
My son has been a week in Austria. What to do with this edge? It's not gonna be much side edge left if try to file it away. How much base edge can a stone grind remove?

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
This is race skis tuned razor sharp and waxed after every practice/race, 4-5 times / week pre season and 2-3 times / week when the race season starts. Normally you never never feel even a little ding / burr when you feel the edges on his (and his sisters) race skis, even the smallest burr is removed. This I don't know how to fix, the edge feels like a zipper.

He will only have them for one season but it's nice to get a few bucks for it after season ends. This sport cost a lot of money.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Take a diamond stone to it to remove any burrs or major weird angle tweaks and don't lose too much sleep?

I'm sure this will be a minority position
^^^^^^+3 and make them your outside edge...
post #9 of 14
eh.

It's going in the right direction, for the most part. Ski em'

EDIT. Forum screwyness, I was trying to quote comprex here...now his post is gone
525x525px-LL-vbattach4076.jpg
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Take a diamond stone to it to remove any burrs or major weird angle tweaks and don't lose too much sleep?
Agreed. Very lightly on the base edge to eliminate the burrs, then de-burr the side edge and tune as you normally do. The "crease" will still be there, but will not have much effect if the adjacent edges on each side of the crease (base and side edges) are are aligned perfectly (by smoothing).
post #11 of 14
Christer,

I know how serious you are about this sport.

I would grind until it's gone. Or touch it up and use this as the outside edge of his training ski and buy a new pair.

I don't think you're really comfortable with the other solutions.

Some folks around here have a traning edge and a racing edge. the racing edge is the outside edge while training, and becomes the inside edge for racing.

BTW: How is he progressing?
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Christer,

I know how serious you are about this sport.

I would grind until it's gone. Or touch it up and use this as the outside edge of his training ski and buy a new pair.

I don't think you're really comfortable with the other solutions.

Some folks around here have a traning edge and a racing edge. the racing edge is the outside edge while training, and becomes the inside edge for racing.

BTW: How is he progressing?
Finally someone who understands

He is gonna ski on them next week and I will switch left/right to get the bad edge on the outside. After that we will see what to do.

Last year was tough. He struggled in GS and was a bit behind. SL got better and better and he did really good in the last race. He was youngest in his age group and there are big differences in size between the boys in this age. Some are 20 lbs heavier and a head taller. He has trained a lot this summer and gotten stronger so he is going in to this season with confidence.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christer View Post
He is gonna ski on them next week and I will switch left/right to get the bad edge on the outside. After that we will see what to do.
Sounds like an opportunity to try the very easy, practical & reasonable fixes offered above. It may be hard to be truly objective, but see how they do ski on each edge first. It's pretty impractical to take down bases and edges every time the edges get chewed up....or get the skis replaced. It would be interesting to hear what you do find out.

The usable life span of many a perfectly good ski end too early and end in swaps or land fills for the wrong reasons, eh?
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christer View Post
Finally someone who understands

He is gonna ski on them next week and I will switch left/right to get the bad edge on the outside. After that we will see what to do.

Last year was tough. He struggled in GS and was a bit behind. SL got better and better and he did really good in the last race. He was youngest in his age group and there are big differences in size between the boys in this age. Some are 20 lbs heavier and a head taller. He has trained a lot this summer and gotten stronger so he is going in to this season with confidence.
I wish him the best of luck, and a healthy season. As I see it, it's our jobs as parents to give them the tools to maximize their opportunity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs