EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Packing for a ski trip ... what's your luggage like?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Packing for a ski trip ... what's your luggage like?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm heading on a trip mid-January that involves a fair amount of hoofing it in getting from airport in Chicago to the EL, from the El to the train station and from the train in Whitefish to the condo ... and of course reverse on return. As such I'd like to keep the luggage to minimum. I plan to:
  • stow most of the clothes, ski wear and such in the bag with the skis
  • use one duffle bag (carry-on) and carry my boots, helmet, meds, spare bibs and such with me
  • wear a small backpack with books, mP3 player, glasses, etc.
This keeps the baggage to a minimum and forces me to bring all that's needed and only what's needed. Too, I want to be in a position that if the airline loses the skis, I still have boots, helmet; i.e. enough gear with me to still make it happen.

Any suggestions or tips on how you pack or what luggage you use for a trip?
post #2 of 13
Your flying to Chicago, to get on a train, to go to Whitefish? I guess some people like the journey more than the destination.


Wear your ski coat, all the things you need to ski go in the backpack style bootbag. One pair of skis and everything else goes in a double roller.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Exactly ... after a spate of some serious overtime Nov-Dec, the trip is more about gettin' some downtime instead of just gettin' there
post #4 of 13
I pack all my ski clothes in my bootbag and my regular size ski bag, which I check-in. I think it is dorky to carry on ski boot bag, (unless travel weather is iffy)

Since I usually only go for 3-4 nts. I wear the same jeans the entire trip and the same pair of casual shoes. Laptop & reading material in carry-on soft briefcase. Carefully count underclothes, change after skiing. Winter is dry, I ski in same fleece etc everyday. But always bring a few xtra tshirts!
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowbirdDevotee View Post
I pack all my ski clothes in my bootbag and my regular size ski bag, which I check-in. I think it is dorky to carry on ski boot bag, (unless travel weather is iffy)
Not as dorky as rental boots
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
Not as dorky as rental boots
Amen!!! The one thing I'm going to make sure I have at my side is my boots.

Given the small bit of effort to carry these along vs renting ill fitting boots ... I'm carrying my boots every time.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorm57 View Post
  • stow most of the clothes, ski wear and such in the bag with the skis
  • use one duffle bag (carry-on) and carry my boots, helmet, meds, spare bibs and such with me
  • wear a small backpack with books, mP3 player, glasses, etc.
Any suggestions or tips on how you pack or what luggage you use for a trip?
  • Get a sporttube for the skis. It has wheels you can drag along. Extend it a bit longer than the length of the skis to accomondate extra gear.
  • For boot bag, get one of those traveling ones that has wheels. That way, you're no longer hoofing with a huge load all over the country.
If you do a lot of skiing by flying, the cost of those wheelie bags will pay for themselves in saving your chiroprator's fees on bad back down the line.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post
  • ]For boot bag, get one of those traveling ones that has wheels. That way, you're no longer hoofing with a huge load all over the country.
If you do a lot of skiing by flying, the cost of those wheelie bags will pay for themselves in saving your chiroprator's fees on bad back down the line.
I agree. I have a Transpack, which I love, except that it does not have wheels. When fully loaded for a flight I have my boots, gloves, etc. in there as well as book, magazines, snacks, water... all that miscellaneous travel stuff. Man that sucker gets heavy!
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post
  • Get a sporttube for the skis. It has wheels you can drag along. Extend it a bit longer than the length of the skis to accomondate extra gear.
  • For boot bag, get one of those traveling ones that has wheels. That way, you're no longer hoofing with a huge load all over the country.
If you do a lot of skiing by flying, the cost of those wheelie bags will pay for themselves in saving your chiroprator's fees on bad back down the line.
I have to second that emotion. I love our sportube. And we put our fleece in it to pad the skis for those TSA employees that aren't so gentle...think chimp handling your luggage commercial.
My boots and rest of my ski clothes (underarmour, pants, ski socks, softshell) go into a rolling backpack. I've had my luggage lost once (it went to HI ...guess my ski stuff wanted a warm weather destination for a change ) and I will never make the mistake of not carrying the essentials on with me.
Ditto on wearing the ski jacket.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Ditto on wearing the ski jacket.
A no-brainer for us northerner. We need it to get from our cars to the terminal anyway.

A lot harder if you're flying from say... Florida!

Same with ski gloves.
post #11 of 13
When not traveling with skis I am a firm believer in not checking any luggage. I have found that I can pack well and carry on enough for about 2 weeks just about anywhere. However, if I am already checking skis, then I generally go ahead and check a second duffel with most of my gear in it. I may carry on boots, but aside from that it's only in-flight comfort stuff, everything else gets packed around skis and put in the duffel. Depending on the lay-over situation, it's nice not to have to lug a heavy bag around various airports, on shuttles, etc. so I figure that if I have to wait at baggage claim anyway to retrieve my skis then I might as well put everything through.
post #12 of 13
Everything except my boots goes in a samsonite rolling suitcase, or a back pack. I carry my boots. Sometimes I carry work documents on an Ipod. I rent skis. I check nothing, ever.

BK
post #13 of 13
For airline luggage I check-in the ski-tube with the poles inside, and the ski-boot back-pack. All of my other luggage (ski-gloves, neck top, toiletries, underclothing, pills) I am able to stuff into the boot back-pack... so it starts feeling like a brick. For carry-on on the plane, just the ski goggles, the ski-jacket and the wallet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Packing for a ski trip ... what's your luggage like?