Originally Posted by rockdude
You have a point, people should pick a ski based on the worst conditions and not the best conditions.
I definitely disagree, and this is coming from someone who does only have 1 pair of skis. I don't own the skis that work best in the worst conditions. I own the skis that are the most fun for me, most of the time. I don't ski groomers if I have a choice, I've never been on a NASTAR course, and don't get a lot of icy, rutted terrain in the PNW. I do get a lot of < 12" days of heavier snow that turns to crud, and I don't charge the mountain super fast. This makes my Watea 94's a really good choice, because they're a lot of fun on the conditions I get most often and the way I ski. They're not the best ski for a race course or waist deep blower, but that's not what I normally ski.
Why would I pick a stiff narrow ski that does great on ice when I hate to ski ice anyway? Sure, I *can* ski a stiff skinny ski in deeper snow, but a fatter ski is more fun, and I'm doing this to have fun.
Obviously, the actual ski choice is *hugely* dependant on where you ski, how much snow you normally see, and the terrain you like to ski on. My point isn't that anyone picking a skinny carver is wrong, it's that you shouldn't pick a ski for the worst conditions you'll see if those conditions are only 5% of your skiing. You should pick a ski that's fun the other 95% of the time, and deal with it when that 5% rolls around.