EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Epicski Academy › ESA Stowe suitability for intermediates?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ESA Stowe suitability for intermediates? - Page 2

post #31 of 53
Hi JDCooper. You will need to register and pay for each of you separately. If you are opting to pay via check instead of pay pal, you can pay with one check. Please don't forget to include supporter subscription and extra lift tickets if you are choosing to ski Friday or Monday.

As Oboe stated. There are good bootfitter options in and around Stowe. Inner Bootworks has served us well. Our very own whiteroom works at Skiershop as well and he may be able to fix you up(this is where I'd usually insert something sarcastic about Whiteroom and then he'd throw something back at me).

I usually rent a midsize car when I'm at ESA Stowe. Last year I ended up with a free upgrade to an SUV. Both vehicles worked well for me.
If you're accustomed to driving in winter conditions, you'll have no problem with a midsize.

Hope this helps.
post #32 of 53
My front-wheel-drive Saturn works great, but I had a little problem last year when it got REALLY cold. I had not been keeping my windshield (the inside) clean and there was a thin layer of dust, grease, pollution or whatever that stuff is that gets on the inside of a windshield. So I was driving up to ski on Sunday, and the windshield just completely frosted up on the inside. The engine was warm and the defroster was blowing, but I couldn't see a thing. I was scraping like hell with my left hand and looking for a place to pull over. Unfortunately, just as you pull out of the parking lot where we were staying, you go over a bridge. So I'm driving 5 mph and peeeessing off all the people behind me. I bounced off the giant pile of snow that the plow leaves behind (on the right) several times going over the bridge.

Other than that . . . FWD is fine.
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusFire View Post
Other than that . . . FWD is fine.
Was up last year in HeluvaSkier's Saab. We drove back to western NY on Sunday in THE storm.

Once we got a friendly push out of the parking lot all was well.
post #34 of 53
Marcusfire, is that why you carpooled with me for the Apres' ski!?
I thought you were sweet on me!
post #35 of 53
Well, there is that. Plus driving on a dark, snowy road after an Apres-ski gathering is not in my (or anyone else's on the road) best interests. I only once had to push my car out of a snow bank at 1 AM, and I learned my lesson.
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusFire View Post
Well, there is that. Plus driving on a dark, snowy road after an Apres-ski gathering is not in my (or anyone else's on the road) best interests. I only once had to push my car out of a snow bank at 1 AM, and I learned my lesson.
Ooooooh that's right. I did say I would be the designated driver. Ah, well, we'll be closer to Charlie B's this year, eh?
post #37 of 53
Yeah, a little . . . Maybe we can keep a shopping cart next to the door to pour people into and wheel back to their rooms.
post #38 of 53
I saw Benny today (ordered some new Dobie race liners). He's expecting us Friday afternoon. It might be good to get an appointment though just to make sure there is room for you on the bench.
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
I saw Benny today (ordered some new Dobie race liners). He's expecting us Friday afternoon. It might be good to get an appointment though just to make sure there is room for you on the bench.
And bring beer.
post #40 of 53
Which shop does Benny work out of?
post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboe View Post
(a) I suppose you and your wife could register separately, but I leave that to the ESA Powers That Be. Would nolo or Trekchick asnwer that?

(b) Since you'll be in Stowe, there are bootfitters all over the place. That said, Inner Bootworks (which is located adjoining the Pinnacle ski shop on the Mountain Road) can help you. Benny Wax is the maestro there, but any of his staff can help you. An appointment will definitely be a good idea.

(c) I live, work and ski in Vermont and drive an Acura RSX-S, which is far from an SUV. That works fine in Stowe. Just a regular front wheel drive car will do if the rear seats can be collapsed to make room for skis in back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
Hi JDCooper. You will need to register and pay for each of you separately. If you are opting to pay via check instead of pay pal, you can pay with one check. Please don't forget to include supporter subscription and extra lift tickets if you are choosing to ski Friday or Monday.

As Oboe stated. There are good bootfitter options in and around Stowe. Inner Bootworks has served us well. Our very own whiteroom works at Skiershop as well and he may be able to fix you up(this is where I'd usually insert something sarcastic about Whiteroom and then he'd throw something back at me).

I usually rent a midsize car when I'm at ESA Stowe. Last year I ended up with a free upgrade to an SUV. Both vehicles worked well for me.
If you're accustomed to driving in winter conditions, you'll have no problem with a midsize.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusFire View Post
Which shop does Benny work out of?
S'at help?
post #42 of 53
Benny works out of a shop called Inner Bootworks. The building is attached to the Pinnacle ski shop on the Mountain Road (on the left as you head toward the mountain).

For the boys in the shop, bring beer. For Benny, bring Knob Creek or Wild Turkey.
post #43 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboe View Post
Benny works out of a shop called Inner Bootworks. The building is attached to the Pinnacle ski shop on the Mountain Road (on the left as you head toward the mountain).

For the boys in the shop, bring beer. For Benny, bring Knob Creek or Wild Turkey.
Seriously? Is that the done thing? Bring booze for the guys in the shop? This will be my first bootfitting. Would it be insane for me to call tomorrow and request appointments for the missus and myself?
post #44 of 53
Do it! They would appreciate knowing that you'll be coming in. They like the "beverage" but they also have some fees for their significant work. Beverage helps
post #45 of 53
(a) Seriously.

(b) It is done.

(c) Insanity would be NOT to call tomorrow for an appointment.
post #46 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboe View Post
(a) Seriously.

(b) It is done.

(c) Insanity would be NOT to call tomorrow for an appointment.
Awesome. Will do tomorrow.
post #47 of 53
Thread Starter 
Well, I called Inner Bootworks and was told that they do not take appointments. This is a problem for me because my wife and I are going to be arriving on Friday and intend to join the ESA on Saturday and Sunday, so really our window to get boots fit is Friday afternoon. Otherwise we are going to be on rental boots, or have to try to get our boots sorted out in NYC prior to heading up. The person I spoke to seemed uninterested in my timing issue.

Any other ideas?
post #48 of 53
I'm working on one now and will be back to you before the end of the day.
post #49 of 53
JDCooper, Shoot Whiteroom a pm. He may not be following this thread, and could have an idea for you. As I stated above, he works at Skiershop. Very good guy to deal with.
post #50 of 53
I'd be happy to help you.

Thx, TC. I haven't been paying attention (and no, I'm not ignoring you... I thought you were ignoring me. I'm guessing we're both busy.)
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
I'd be happy to help you.

Thx, TC. I haven't been paying attention (and no, I'm not ignoring you... I thought you were ignoring me. I'm guessing we're both busy.)
I'd never ignore you. Yer Hawt!
post #52 of 53
jdcopper, check your private messages.
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
I'd be happy to help you.

Thx, TC. I haven't been paying attention (and no, I'm not ignoring you... I thought you were ignoring me. I'm guessing we're both busy.)
Any ideas what you'll have for demos lined up, as yet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Epicski Academy
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Epicski Academy › ESA Stowe suitability for intermediates?