New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adjustable Carbon Pole

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I just got a pretty good deal on some 30" MSR Lighting Ascent snowshoes at REI. I want to upgrade to some adjustable carbon poles from my bent then straightened many times aluminum XC ski poles. I want them both for snowshoe and light XC ski touring - meadows, around lakes, fireroads, groomed/ungroomed trails, etc.

I looked at Black Diamond aluminum/carbon adjustable pole. They felt pretty good and are in my price range. I am 6' 225lb.

Are there any other adjustable carbon poles that someone can recommend for light XC skiing and snowshoe?
post #2 of 14
Black Diamond Flick Locks are the best in the business. Just get 'em and don't look back. Twist lock adjustable poles suck.
post #3 of 14
After four seasons I'm still very happy with my Atomic AFT poles. Not sure if they are still made.
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmburch View Post
I looked at Black Diamond aluminum/carbon adjustable pole. They felt pretty good and are in my price range. I am 6' 225lb.

Are there any other adjustable carbon poles that someone can recommend for light XC skiing and snowshoe?
The BD poles are nice, but you may want to check and make sure they will adjust high enough for XC skiing.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
The BD poles are nice, but you may want to check and make sure they will adjust high enough for XC skiing.
Thanks, I think you are right. At 140 max, it may be too short. I have to compare to my current poles. I just looked at them in the store yesterday.
post #6 of 14
Just to hijack this thread a little, with the BD poles can you retro-fit self arrest grips?
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbackw View Post
Just to hijack this thread a little, with the BD poles can you retro-fit self arrest grips?
If you're talking about Whippets (IMO the only real self-arrest), no. You can buy the Whippet poles and get carbon lowers and flick-lock adaptors from BD, but you can't just add the whippet self-arrest to any BD pole. I believe the new Whippets may be fixed (I may be wrong), but with the old ones you could remove the self-arrest and have a normal pole. But the grips and uppers themselves were made specifically for the self-arrest. I'm using a pair of the old ones which I've shortened the uppers a bit and retrofitted with carbon lowers.

You could probably pop the grips off a pair of non-whippet BD poles and jam a pair of old Ramer or Life Link self arrest claws on there, but those both pretty much sucked.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmburch View Post
Thanks, I think you are right. At 140 max, it may be too short..
You'll just have to go slower



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Whippets (IMO the only real self-arrest), no.
No luv 4 Ramers?
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
No luv 4 Ramers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
You could probably pop the grips off a pair of non-whippet BD poles and jam a pair of old Ramer or Life Link self arrest claws on there, but those both pretty much sucked.
No. Back in the day, the Ramer grips were the best available. But back in the day, I was skiing on skis with a 62mm waist.
post #10 of 14
Jer -

You might be interested in these and save a buck:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0...Ski-Poles.html

I bought some Komperdell adjustables last year that are great. The guy who reviewed them is at "6' old bear"....
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milllah View Post
Jer -

You might be interested in these and save a buck:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0...Ski-Poles.html

I bought some Komperdell adjustables last year that are great. The guy who reviewed them is at "6' old bear"....
I bought a pair of those Rossis from STP this summer. Like the BDs, they are a flick rather than twist mechanism. And with a 40% off coupon -- net $27.30 -- they were hard to resist. I haven't yet put them to the test yet, but will do so this year, and will review then. But STP's return policy is fantastic, so if you're on the fence, give them a shot.

They also have Rossi adjustables with a Nordic grip a little cheaper.
post #12 of 14
I like the BD flick lock because works very well and is easy. I also like the way it's integrated with their snow saw.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Yes, the 140 will work. That is the length of my current poles. I will also take a look at the STP aluminum next time I am in Reno. I used to do a lot of business with STP.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
If you're talking about Whippets (IMO the only real self-arrest), no.
The Grivel Condor (with its easily & quickly retractable self-arrest pick) can be retrofitted onto a BD, say, Traverse adjustable pole (which is also plenty long enough for any xc skiing other than groomed racing).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home