EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Nordica Hot Rod or K2 Apache Recon?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nordica Hot Rod or K2 Apache Recon?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone, glad I found this forum. I am indecisive by nature so for me to read reviews online is pointless...you don't know the skill of the person writing them.

I have been skiing since 2, I am 23 now. I ski very aggressively. I hate going slow, I hate sliding, I love fast well groomed runs and huge/hard high speed turns. I crave speed.

I also venture off trail when the powder is nice, but if there are bumps no way..I will cya on a fast groomer where my knees and feet don't try to amputate themselves from me.

I have been skiing on Rossi Bandit XX's for years...they are beat and worn out. Time for a new pair of boards.

I am torn between these two skis. I am looking at leftover 07-08 models from a local shop because they are on sale for 600 with bindings. Price is the same for each ski.

Given my once in a blue moon propensity to venture off trail (more than once in a blue moon if it is a fresh powder day) what would you recommend?

I am unsure of what to expect because honestly, but all standards, my current skis should suck and I do fairly well with them. When I did demo a pair of Apache Chiefs (fat) a few years ago for a mega powder day at Squaw I was blown away how nice they were compared to my XX's.

My biggest complaint with the XX is that it doesn't hold an edge well when you put a ton of pressure on the ski..it just starts to drift, and it chatters after extended periods of drifting or high speed carving on hard snow.


Thanks!
post #2 of 22
You don't say how heavy you are and that is a factor. You also don't mention which Hot Rod (there are 4 or 5) Generally, the Nordicas will be stiffer and have better grip when the snow is hard, the Recons will be softer and mre damp and relatively easy going in softer snow.

Again....it depends somewhat on the Nordie you are looking at but I'm making a guess that it's the "Top Fuel" which would most commonly be equated to the Recon.

SJ
post #3 of 22

New Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silidker View Post
Hey everyone, glad I found this forum. I am indecisive by nature so for me to read reviews online is pointless...you don't know the skill of the person writing them.

I have been skiing since 2, I am 23 now. I ski very aggressively. I hate going slow, I hate sliding, I love fast well groomed runs and huge/hard high speed turns. I crave speed.

I also venture off trail when the powder is nice, but if there are bumps no way..I will cya on a fast groomer where my knees and feet don't try to amputate themselves from me.

I have been skiing on Rossi Bandit XX's for years...they are beat and worn out. Time for a new pair of boards.

I am torn between these two skis. I am looking at leftover 07-08 models from a local shop because they are on sale for 600 with bindings. Price is the same for each ski.

Given my once in a blue moon propensity to venture off trail (more than once in a blue moon if it is a fresh powder day) what would you recommend?

I am unsure of what to expect because honestly, but all standards, my current skis should suck and I do fairly well with them. When I did demo a pair of Apache Chiefs (fat) a few years ago for a mega powder day at Squaw I was blown away how nice they were compared to my XX's.

My biggest complaint with the XX is that it doesn't hold an edge well when you put a ton of pressure on the ski..it just starts to drift, and it chatters after extended periods of drifting or high speed carving on hard snow.


Thanks!

First, welcome to Epic a great site. Second, go to Search box on top of Forum page and put in Nordica Skis and K2 Recons and you will get a ton of information. I have Nordica Afterburners and love them.
post #4 of 22
I would definitely choose Nordica over K2, but like previous posts - which Nordica Hot Rods??????? A little more info on yourself would be needed.
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
DOH! Sorry. Yea, the Top Fuels.

I am about 180 lbs naked, 190+ fully geared up.

I searched, but personalized responses are always the best.

Thanks!

My gut is that the Nordica is right and the reviews I read online from Joe Public are guys like my father who aren't great skiiers, read a lot of magazines, try stiff skis and then freak out when they can't ski them because they have no clue how to carve.

I know nothing is going to be a swiss army knife. I may get the Top Fuel as my new ski since the majority of skiing that I do is very fast groomers, then an older pair of wide boards for soft snow.
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silidker View Post
My biggest complaint with the XX is that it doesn't hold an edge well when you put a ton of pressure on the ski..it just starts to drift, and it chatters after extended periods of drifting or high speed carving on hard snow.
Thanks!
The Top Fuel holds an edge like a mofo.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silidker View Post
Hey everyone, glad I found this forum. I am indecisive by nature so for me to read reviews online is pointless...you don't know the skill of the person writing them.

I have been skiing since 2, I am 23 now. I ski very aggressively. I hate going slow, I hate sliding, I love fast well groomed runs and huge/hard high speed turns. I crave speed.

I also venture off trail when the powder is nice, but if there are bumps no way..I will cya on a fast groomer where my knees and feet don't try to amputate themselves from me.

I have been skiing on Rossi Bandit XX's for years...they are beat and worn out. Time for a new pair of boards.

I am torn between these two skis. I am looking at leftover 07-08 models from a local shop because they are on sale for 600 with bindings. Price is the same for each ski.

Given my once in a blue moon propensity to venture off trail (more than once in a blue moon if it is a fresh powder day) what would you recommend?

I am unsure of what to expect because honestly, but all standards, my current skis should suck and I do fairly well with them. When I did demo a pair of Apache Chiefs (fat) a few years ago for a mega powder day at Squaw I was blown away how nice they were compared to my XX's.

My biggest complaint with the XX is that it doesn't hold an edge well when you put a ton of pressure on the ski..it just starts to drift, and it chatters after extended periods of drifting or high speed carving on hard snow.


Thanks!
I had the opportunity to demo three skis at Stowe last spring. First I tried the Volkl 12 Foots, and they were very solid and stable, but didn't have the "pop" that I like, especially coming out of a turn to make a transition. I guess they were too stiff. The Nordica Top Fuels beat me up. I'm 5-11 160, never thought of myself as "heavy", but the tech said that they probably had too much flex for my weight. On of my instructors at Sugar Mountain used to consult for Nordica on ski design and he's about my height but very slendar, so that sort of makes sense. I ended up with Rossi Z11's as they were just right for me.

I think its real important to demo skis when you can. Its not easy to get a bargain that way but you will walk away with a better deal.
post #8 of 22
Between the Top Fuels and the Recons? No contest (at all) - grab the Top Fuels, and let someone else get stuck with the Recons.
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Cool deal. My gut was with the Top Fuels and then get a second pair of something used for powder fun...

Can't really wait on this deal any longer. It is a friend of my Father who owns the ski shop. He saved a set of last years Top Fuels, Recons, and B2's for me to decide on this fall. 420 for the B2 with bindings, 600 for each the Recons and Top Fuels with bindings...seems like a smoking deal to me.

After reading some more on here with the handy search function, these are definitely for me...though they won't probably work well in the off trail stuff...so I will keep my current skis for that and search for something else. Can't wait to bomb some stuff on these. Bombing parts of the '02 Olympic downhill run on my XX's was downright scary when it came time to turn...or stop..or do anything other than go straight so I just went straight .
post #10 of 22
Grab the Top Fuels, they ski wonderfully, hold edge phenomenally and are fun. The Recons are a great selling over hyped ski. It's a noodle, it does not hold that well
post #11 of 22
All the accolades about the TF are true. This should not however be misconstrued by anybody to think that the Recon is a "bad" ski....it's not. What the Recon IS is just a different ski. Most K2's have that soft flex and ski very easily because of that. However, because of the "dual core" concept, they are very damp and smoother at higher speeds that you'd think they would be.

It's like driving a luxury car.....comfortable and no surprises.

SJ
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
All the accolades about the TF are true. This should not however be misconstrued by anybody to think that the Recon is a "bad" ski....it's not. What the Recon IS is just a different ski. Most K2's have that soft flex and ski very easily because of that. However, because of the "dual core" concept, they are very damp and smoother at higher speeds that you'd think they would be.

It's like driving a luxury car.....comfortable and no surprises.

SJ
You're right - it really isn't bad, but it's also not-as-good (and I'm an old K2 fanatic).

And you analogy is correct too - but it's like driving an older Caddy, big Buick or Lexus instead of a Audi R8, M5, or AMG Mercedes. You could, but why would you want to?
post #13 of 22
I would get the Top Fuels hands down. I ski on the Jet Fuel as my main ski in all conditions. It's a Top fuel with a few mm more width. I have also skied the Top Fuel and liked it a lot. I actually used it for one of my PSIA exams because I find it realitivly easy to do whitepass and one footed skiing on. Our test was on a powder day, just over the knee on a soft base. I skied the TF just fine in the powder. On hardpack it really grabs and rips. I have never skied the recon. I know a lot of people who do and love it. I noticed Doug Coombs was using it in certian scenes from Steep. My impression is that the recon would be a better choice for someone who is going to ski more soft snow or doesn't like a ski with 2 sheets of metal in it. Their both good.
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Is the top fuel going to be problematic on spring snow (harder base deep with consistent layer of soft sugar snow on top, turning into piles of soft snow at the end of the day)?

Thanks!
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
I noticed Doug Coombs was using it in certian scenes from Steep. My impression is that the recon would be a better choice for someone who is going to ski more soft snow or doesn't like a ski with 2 sheets of metal in it. Their both good.
Coombs is skiing the 07 Outlaws in Steep (which is a phenomenal movie BTW). And I don't know about the Top Fuels, but the Recons definitely do have Titanal Metal Laminate. Whether or not it is 2 sheets, I am unsure. Away with the Recon haters!
post #16 of 22
The K2 "laminations" of metal are layers of metal below and above the wood core. K2 adjusts the flex in the metal by perforating it with holes. You can see the holes in the topsheet where it peeks through the cap structure.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silidker View Post
Is the top fuel going to be problematic on spring snow (harder base deep with consistent layer of soft sugar snow on top, turning into piles of soft snow at the end of the day)?

Thanks!
The first time I was on them was a lovely April day at Whistler where we went through about everything known to modern man as far as snow surfaces, and they perform quite well in everything except the real deep stuff, where they're adequate.
post #18 of 22
The Top Fuels are great. I ski in the east on everything and these ski handle it with ease. You will like them.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silidker View Post
DOH! Sorry. Yea, the Top Fuels.

I am about 180 lbs naked, 190+ fully geared up.

I searched, but personalized responses are always the best.

Thanks!

My gut is that the Nordica is right and the reviews I read online from Joe Public are guys like my father who aren't great skiiers, read a lot of magazines, try stiff skis and then freak out when they can't ski them because they have no clue how to carve.

I know nothing is going to be a swiss army knife. I may get the Top Fuel as my new ski since the majority of skiing that I do is very fast groomers, then an older pair of wide boards for soft snow.
Funny you should mention the Swiss in the post, because IMO, you want Movement Thunders in a 187. I am 5'10" and 180lbs. The is no way my Nordica Nitrous can match my Thunders for full on speed. On days when there isn't much if any fresh on the mtn and I am just going mach looney, the Thunders are the grippiest, most full tilt ski I have ever skied. Check them out at http://www.movementskis.com/ I saw a Euro site the other day that had 07/08s left for cheap. Look at:http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/sho...oducts_id=2810
Your welcome.
post #20 of 22
Of your choices, the Top Fuel. Stronger, more energy, more fun, more upside. There's a reason you see so many strong skiers on them.
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
All the accolades about the TF are true. This should not however be misconstrued by anybody to think that the Recon is a "bad" ski....it's not. What the Recon IS is just a different ski. Most K2's have that soft flex and ski very easily because of that. However, because of the "dual core" concept, they are very damp and smoother at higher speeds that you'd think they would be.

It's like driving a luxury car.....comfortable and no surprises.

SJ
I agree with SierraJim, the Recon is different, but once I got used to it, I loved it! This ski converted me from Rossi and I haven't looked back. The Recon does it all for me! It's one of the smoothest skis I have ever ridden!
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silidker View Post
Is the top fuel going to be problematic on spring snow (harder base deep with consistent layer of soft sugar snow on top, turning into piles of soft snow at the end of the day)?
Neither are exactly my cup of tea, but IMO this is what Nordies are best at. I honestly think they share some attributes with K2's (both are smooth and quiet), but in my limited experience they're also lighter and more energetic. They require more driver input too. Call them a 5 series BMW to K2's E class Benz.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Nordica Hot Rod or K2 Apache Recon?