New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paypal for skis

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I'm looking at some skis on Ebay for about $500, but the paypal says the item is only covered up to $200.

So if I'm stiffed only $200 is recovered?

Thanks

Dave
post #2 of 18
You've also got to jump through quite a few hoops to get $200.00. That said, I've completed nearly 300 transactions in eBay. Only once did I have an issue with a seller that could not be resolved quickly and easily. PayPal refunded my money in the end and sanctioned the seller. Check the feedback for the seller. Read any negative feedback they might have before making a purchase from them.

I've been ripped off way more in real stores than I have on eBay.
post #3 of 18
I'm not positive about this (maybe someone who knows for sure can confirm) but I think using a credit card, as opposed to a bank card, to pay via paypal is safer. That way if you get stiffed you can just call up your credit card company and have them stop payment on the charge.

Paypal prefers (and encourages) people to use their bank cards. I've always thought this was for 2 reasons: 1) lower fees for them to pay and 2) less hassle when deals go bad.
post #4 of 18
Plus many credit card companies will help protect you in addition to paypal. I was burned pretty badly last year when I tried to buy some skis for my girlfriend and the seller flat out burned me. Paypal was much tougher to get my $200 from but Visa was awesome
post #5 of 18
I'm curious as to why you would pay 500 when paypal values it at 200.
post #6 of 18
I have had a few issues on ebay. Paypal has always come through and gotten me my money back in little time.

Get the value corrected, if you pay $500, then make sure its covered for $500. Its just that simple. If for some reason you cant, you can email, or call Paypal, they are very helpful, fast and accommodating.
post #7 of 18
Paypal offers ZERO protection if the seller withdraws his funding as soon it's available to him. If they can't get it back, you can't get it back. Your only protection is the credit card company. Even then, if you don't act promptly, you can lose your request to the credit card company too.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post
Paypal offers ZERO protection if the seller withdraws his funding as soon it's available to him. If they can't get it back, you can't get it back. Your only protection is the credit card company. Even then, if you don't act promptly, you can lose your request to the credit card company too.
Not true. I got a credit from PayPal when a seller refused to refund. I had to document all the interaction and attempts to resolve with the seller first but PayPal did issue me a refund/credit that did not come from the deadbeat seller.
post #9 of 18

eBay

Check the Feedback comments of any seller you're dealing with.

The $200 protection figure is standard. Once a seller achieves certain targets, that gets bumped to $2000. We run an eBay store for our closeout items and offer $2000 protection. This store is in addition to our primary online store. With eBay we've attained Power Seller status and maintained a 100% feedback score. At the present time we don't have much in the way of ski gear but we do have a great deal on one model of Spyder jackets.

We've never had a problem with PayPal. I've heard from other sellers that PayPal will usually side with the buyer in disputes.
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
Not true. I got a credit from PayPal when a seller refused to refund. I had to document all the interaction and attempts to resolve with the seller first but PayPal did issue me a refund/credit that did not come from the deadbeat seller.
Then they've changed their policies. I used PayPal to buy a car part that did not come. The seller acknowledged he did not have the part. PayPal agreed to a refund but could not get it because the seller's account had no money in it. I got nothing.

Maybe if you're doing a Fleabay deal they perform differently, since Fleabay now owns PayPal.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post
Then they've changed their policies. I used PayPal to buy a car part that did not come. The seller acknowledged he did not have the part. PayPal agreed to a refund but could not get it because the seller's account had no money in it. I got nothing.

Maybe if you're doing a Fleabay deal they perform differently, since Fleabay now owns PayPal.
My bad experience happened in late July and it was an eBay transaction that was resolved by PayPal.
post #12 of 18
Be careful with ebay.
I'm in a dispute with a seller that sold me a pair of skis but sent me the wrong bindings, and they do tons of business and have a 100% rating (not for long).
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
I ended up being outbid anyway. However, my Spidey senses (tm) were tingling - it was the seller's first auction and he had only joined a few weeks prior. Thanks all. Dave
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by uricmu View Post
Be careful with ebay.
I'm in a dispute with a seller that sold me a pair of skis but sent me the wrong bindings, and they do tons of business and have a 100% rating (not for long).
I had a similar problem with a pair of boots I bought. NOT the boots that were pictured nor the boots that were described.
By the time I got them, the seller moved to Germany with her husband who was in the armed forces. She conveniently, used a shipping address with the US gov, which was not trackable. Therefore no proof that I returned the boots.
post #15 of 18
I've done lots of ransactions on eBay, but have had items not as described.

Best bet is to deal with high feedback sellers - I've ordered skis from Action Sports Outlet (check their ebay store or google the name it will link to ebay) and raceskis.com; Both have been very dependable
post #16 of 18
Somethig else to remember:

You can't enter into a dispute immediately. IIRC it takes 2 weeks from the sell date.

I bought a jigsaw, NIB with brand new blades thrown in. When it arrived I opened the case and noticed sawdust int he case and on the saw, plus one blade had obviously been used. The seller said she would take it back, minus the shipping cost (both ways), but when she sent it to me it was new & the blades were unopened. So she would have disputed my return, claiming I used it.

It would have taken a few weeks to start a dispute, and I needed a saw, so I left negative feedback and kept it. It's a chance you take.
post #17 of 18
Best method is definitely to examine the feedback and see how others have experienced. I've ordered ski radios, etc and been successful. I'd stay clear of used skis tho!!
post #18 of 18
On the two bad deals I have had on ebay, the sellers were less than 10 items sold. I will never buy from a seller that doesn't have at least 100 items for feedback. There is another seller down the road. Be happy you were out bid on this deal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion