EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head Skis--can we tell the players without a program?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Head Skis--can we tell the players without a program?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Common wisdom holds the that the XRC 1100RD morphed in to the 1200SW which was rebranded in 2006-7 as the WC Supershape Speed. Since then there has been a new 1200 and now a new 1100 this time with a chip.

I am thinking of getting a new frontside carver and since I like the stable, damp feel of Head Skis I have been thinking about one of these skis. I have been chatting with a number of folks, many including Atomicman highly recommend the SS Speed over the XRC and plain SS.

I have been looking at the line and it is not clear to me if the current SS Speed is the original SS Speed or if it has changed again.

Consider the line up:

2007:

World Cup Supershape---------121/66/106
World Cup Supershape Speed--112/66/98 (2006 1200SW--113/67/99)

2009:

iSupershape--------121/66/106
World Cup iSpeed--112/66/98 (same dims as the original WC SS Speed)
iSupershape Speed-116/68/100
XRC 1100chip------115/68/101 (Keelty claims this is the descendent of the 1100RD)



So, has anyone with experience on the original SS Speed skied the Latest SS Speed? Is it the same ski with a slight waist adjustment or has it changed character? Is it stiffer/softer or just wider?

Is the WC Speed the actual original WC Supershape Speed (same dims) or is this a new ski? Is the "iSS Speed" a new ski?

Will the real Supershape Speed please stand up?

Anyone know about this?
post #2 of 25
Their boots are even more confusing.
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Bump--No retailers or Head Gear Heads know the answer to this???

Has anyone been on the 2009 iSupershape Speed yet?

Has anyone seen Dawgcatching?
post #4 of 25
I was wondering where Dawg has been hiding myself. Haven't heard much from him lately.
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDeC58 View Post
Common wisdom holds the that the XRC 1100RD morphed in to the 1200SW which was rebranded in 2006-7 as the WC Supershape Speed. Since then there has been a new 1200 and now a new 1100 this time with a chip.

I am thinking of getting a new frontside carver and since I like the stable, damp feel of Head Skis I have been thinking about one of these skis. I have been chatting with a number of folks, many including Atomicman highly recommend the SS Speed over the XRC and plain SS.

I have been looking at the line and it is not clear to me if the current SS Speed is the original SS Speed or if it has changed again.

Consider the line up:

2007:

World Cup Supershape---------121/66/106
World Cup Supershape Speed--112/66/98 (2006 1200SW--113/67/99)

2009:

iSupershape--------121/66/106
World Cup iSpeed--112/66/98 (same dims as the original WC SS Speed)
iSupershape Speed-116/68/100
XRC 1100chip------115/68/101 (Keelty claims this is the descendent of the 1100RD)



So, has anyone with experience on the original SS Speed skied the Latest SS Speed? Is it the same ski with a slight waist adjustment or has it changed character? Is it stiffer/softer or just wider?

Is the WC Speed the actual original WC Supershape Speed (same dims) or is this a new ski? Is the "iSS Speed" a new ski?

Will the real Supershape Speed please stand up?

Anyone know about this?
The WC ispeed is 112/66/94 in a 180 an 18M radius

The New Supershape Speed is as you have stated in a 170 a 15M rasdius and a wider tip waist and tail!
post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Sorry, my mistake--you are correct, 94mm for the WC iSpeed tail. But it is still unclear to me which of the two "Speed"skis is the evolution of the original and which represents a new ski--maybe both are redesigned? I wonder which is more similar to the original feel?

I'm guessing the WC Speed is the original and the iSS Speed is a wider softer version, but as I have been on neither, this is pure speculation.

I was hoping someone might have been on them or perhaps talked with a rep. I will have to demo both if I can.
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDeC58 View Post
Sorry, my mistake--you are correct, 94mm for the WC iSpeed tail. But it is still unclear to me which of the two "Speed"skis is the evolution of the original and which represents a new ski--maybe both are redesigned? I wonder which is more similar to the original feel?

I'm guessing the WC Speed is the original and the iSS Speed is a wider softer version, but as I have been on neither, this is pure speculation.

I was hoping someone might have been on them or perhaps talked with a rep. I will have to demo both if I can.
I don't personally know the answer but I'll see if I can find out for you. It may take a day or two.
post #8 of 25
As much a fan as I am of Head, I don't know either.

Their nomenclature reminds me of Mercedes Benz in the early 90s, they kept changing the names around and being inconsistent with the way they named their cars from one year to the next, making things quite confusing.
post #9 of 25
As I understand it (own a 06 1200 SW and a 07 SS), the "new" Speed is a touch wider and has more sidecut, but otherwise the same lineage as the 06 1200/07 SS Speed, which I have been told were the same ski rebadged. The new Speed is not, I have been told, from the 07 renamed XCR's that were more forgiving and evolved into the 09 1100. My 1200 is 67 mm, so unclear why the 07 SS Speed became 66 mm, if it is. (I've noticed that different web sites often have 1 mm variance in measurements, and my own micrometer seldom reads the same as the company specs.)

But this seems more a question about mythical lineages and authenticity. How much of these mm diffs are tiny production tweaks that make no significant impact on performance?...
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDeC58 View Post
Sorry, my mistake--you are correct, 94mm for the WC iSpeed tail. But it is still unclear to me which of the two "Speed"skis is the evolution of the original and which represents a new ski--maybe both are redesigned? I wonder which is more similar to the original feel?

I'm guessing the WC Speed is the original and the iSS Speed is a wider softer version, but as I have been on neither, this is pure speculation.

I was hoping someone might have been on them or perhaps talked with a rep. I will have to demo both if I can.
Even though i have skied on neither my understanding is the WC ispeed is more of a traditional stiffer Race ski GS ski.

the supershape speed is a more versatile forgiving, but certainly not soft cheater GS that gives up little in edge hold but is moe forgiving!
post #11 of 25
Here's the initial response I received from my area rep:
The 08-09 Supershape speed is a new ski with a tiny bit wider profile and a bit shorter turning radius versus the 07/08 model..

The 08/09 WC iSpeed is a new ski featuring the new temperature resistant WC top sheet material. It’s a totally new ski and potentially the best front side carver around. Last spring the response from the Sun Valley guys was amazing. I was forced to leave the skis in Sun Valley for the rest of the year as they literally would not let me take them home.

I guess my own interpretation would be that the 09 SuperShape Speed is the evolutionary offspring of the SuperShape Speed which descended from the 1200.

The 09 WC iSpeed is a completely different ski and was designed from the ground up, so to speak.

As to the SuperShape Speed, we've been through this quite a bit over time. Atomicman and Ghost are big fans of the SuperShape Speed. I didn't like it but that is probably due to the fact that ONLY time I ever skied the SS Speed was a time when I suspect that the pair I was on weren't properly tuned. I've never skied that model since.

I *did* ski the new WC iSpeed last spring and was, um, ecstatic about it. It has the same "feel" for the snow as the full-on Head GS race ski, but it has an 18m turn radius instead of the FIS-legal radius of about 27m(?). That makes the iSpeed a much more turnable ski in far more conditions.

I was completely sold on it and I'll be skiing a pair this winter.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
Here's the initial response I received from my area rep:
The 08-09 Supershape speed is a new ski with a tiny bit wider profile and a bit shorter turning radius versus the 07/08 model..

The 08/09 WC iSpeed is a new ski featuring the new temperature resistant WC top sheet material. It’s a totally new ski and potentially the best front side carver around. Last spring the response from the Sun Valley guys was amazing. I was forced to leave the skis in Sun Valley for the rest of the year as they literally would not let me take them home.

I guess my own interpretation would be that the 09 SuperShape Speed is the evolutionary offspring of the SuperShape Speed which descended from the 1200.

The 09 WC iSpeed is a completely different ski and was designed from the ground up, so to speak.

As to the SuperShape Speed, we've been through this quite a bit over time. Atomicman and Ghost are big fans of the SuperShape Speed. I didn't like it but that is probably due to the fact that ONLY time I ever skied the SS Speed was a time when I suspect that the pair I was on weren't properly tuned. I've never skied that model since.

I *did* ski the new WC iSpeed last spring and was, um, ecstatic about it. It has the same "feel" for the snow as the full-on Head GS race ski, but it has an 18m turn radius instead of the FIS-legal radius of about 27m(?). That makes the iSpeed a much more turnable ski in far more conditions.

I was completely sold on it and I'll be skiing a pair this winter.
yep, probably the tune.

the 177cm SS Speed at least the last 2 seasons is 16.6 in a 177 and may be down to 16.2 for 09. The new ispeed is 18M in a 180cm.

I would have to say (Ridec58 was concerned about how the ski would ski bumps) that the iSpeed is not going to be a ski you want to take into the bumps at all. In fact you would most likely want to avoid them for fear of bending your ski.

Here is Keelty's reviews for '09

i.Speed
Head is one of the decreasing number of companies that had race skis available for testing. While this ripper does not meet new FIS regulations (27m radius), it is legal for Masters and other citizen racing programs and remains a single-purpose workhorse for GS. Very few skiers will want to muscle this ski around during free skiing, but serious sub-NCAA level racers will find it superb in the gates.


Supershape speed
This is the Head race-derived product for frontside free skiing and is also an excellent citizen race tool. Very stable, holds fiercely and while not as demanding as the Speed, still requires energetic input and strong modern skills to perform at its best.
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDeC58 View Post
Consider the line up:

2007:

World Cup Supershape---------121/66/106
World Cup Supershape Speed--112/66/98 (2006 1200SW--113/67/99)

2009:

iSupershape--------121/66/106
World Cup iSpeed--112/66/98 (same dims as the original WC SS Speed)
iSupershape Speed-116/68/100
XRC 1100chip------115/68/101 (Keelty claims this is the descendent of the 1100RD)

Anyone know about this?
Just to add some more mud..
I just acquired some "World Cup iSuperShape"s that are:
121-66-107 r12.1 @ 170
I think they are either 06 or 07.

But sounds like you are looking for more of a GS or GS cheater.

From what I've heard they are all pretty solid feeling skis.
I can't wait to let em run..
post #14 of 25
He already has a slalom ski. A 12.1 M radius puts the Supershape square in the middle slalom race ski radius terrritory. Nice thing about the SS speed is it is between SL & GS. But lean a bit more GS. Not as short a radius as a slalom and not as long or balls out demanding as a true GS, but still plenty fast and incredible edgehold!
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
Here's the initial response I received from my area rep:
The 08-09 Supershape speed is a new ski with a tiny bit wider profile and a bit shorter turning radius versus the 07/08 model..

The 08/09 WC iSpeed is a new ski featuring the new temperature resistant WC top sheet material. It’s a totally new ski and potentially the best front side carver around. Last spring the response from the Sun Valley guys was amazing. I was forced to leave the skis in Sun Valley for the rest of the year as they literally would not let me take them home.

I guess my own interpretation would be that the 09 SuperShape Speed is the evolutionary offspring of the SuperShape Speed which descended from the 1200.

The 09 WC iSpeed is a completely different ski and was designed from the ground up, so to speak.

As to the SuperShape Speed, we've been through this quite a bit over time. Atomicman and Ghost are big fans of the SuperShape Speed. I didn't like it but that is probably due to the fact that ONLY time I ever skied the SS Speed was a time when I suspect that the pair I was on weren't properly tuned. I've never skied that model since.

I *did* ski the new WC iSpeed last spring and was, um, ecstatic about it. It has the same "feel" for the snow as the full-on Head GS race ski, but it has an 18m turn radius instead of the FIS-legal radius of about 27m(?). That makes the iSpeed a much more turnable ski in far more conditions.

I was completely sold on it and I'll be skiing a pair this winter.
to be fair though Sun Valley is probably one of the fastest skiing mountains, bar none. they buff most of it like a baby's butt and it is generally man-made snow. It has very constant pitches that go on for days. In fact the toughest thing about skiing there is trying to controll your speed. In fact the mountain is very deceiving. it doesn't look particulalrly steep or difficult, but when you get on the hill, hold onto your hat!!!!

So a ski like that would be ideal at Sun Valley. But, if like the rest of us, you have to contend with more terrain changes, less then perfectly manicured groomed man-made snow, and unavoidable bump fields, I am not sure that is the ski I'd want!
post #16 of 25
Head was very lucky to be able to hire the marketing genius that gave us New Coke. He also picked the colors on what must be some of the ugliest skis (IMHO) in recent memory.
My 2206 iXRC 1100 Chips great skis.
2006 was the year they made three 1100s in two different dimensions, two layups, three colors, with and without chips.
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveturner View Post
Head was very lucky to be able to hire the marketing genius that gave us New Coke. He also picked the colors on what must be some of the ugliest skis (IMHO) in recent memory.
My 2206 iXRC 1100 Chips great skis.
2006 was the year they made three 1100s in two different dimensions, two layups, three colors, with and without chips.
Which skis do you think are ugly?
post #18 of 25
Bob, any chance you could get more info on the "temperature resistant" topsheet on the race skis? It's the first I've heard of it.
post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 
Thanks to Bob and A-man for all the info. I agree that the WC iSpeed is not the ski for me. The SuperShape Speed may be just the ticket if it is soft enough to be manageable in bumps. I have a great pair of Elan WC SL skis (which I actually bought from A-man) so I think I am covered in the short radius dept. I need to demo the SS Speeds and maybe the XRC too.

Thanks.
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDeC58 View Post
Thanks to Bob and A-man for all the info. I agree that the WC iSpeed is not the ski for me. The SuperShape Speed may be just the ticket if it is soft enough to be manageable in bumps.
Hmm. "Manageable" may be the operational idea here. My 1200's are just that, no more. If bumps are major part of the deal, would strongly suggest Magnums or iM78's instead.
post #21 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
Hmm. "Manageable" may be the operational idea here. My 1200's are just that, no more. If bumps are major part of the deal, would strongly suggest Magnums or iM78's instead.
Thanks beyond, I was wondering about that. I own a pair of 78s. I am looking for a new bump-friendly front-side carver with 65-70 mm waist. I may consider the Magnum/chip also.
post #22 of 25
The Magnum does not have the edgehold of SS speed. And sidecut is back down in slalom territory. 13.5 radius in a 170cm.

if you are going with Ss speed in a 170 sholdn't be a problem in the bumps at that lenngth, but certianly not an all the time bump ski!


Keelty: About the magnum

Almost as solid as the Supershape Chip, more nimble. Skis "lighter" than the Chip. Ice hold not quite as good (still good by any standard), quickness and rebound are almost in the same class as the original SS. This is probably a more versatile choice for all but the fastest and most aggressive skiers. Easier to control in bumps than the Chip.
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
Which skis do you think are ugly?

Yeah...I personally think the new Head skis look great. That yellow motif ones looked good too; the new red and white skis looks very "racy"...I like that.
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
Yeah...I personally think the new Head skis look great. That yellow motif ones looked good too; the new red and white skis looks very "racy"...I like that.
He was probably talking about the last couple of years Monster line!

Tthe race skis and all the Supershapes are damn sharp!
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
He was probably talking about the last couple of years Monster line!

Tthe race skis and all the Supershapes are damn sharp!
Agreed...the old Monsters and even the XRC line were quite ugly IMHO. The new skis look hot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head Skis--can we tell the players without a program?