New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One ski quiver...help!

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Here is my first post and I'm looking for the impossible.

Looking for the the one ski that does it all...Hey everyone has a dream !! I'm 47yr 5-9 160lbs, been skiing 5 years,have advanced to a level 7-8 through 30-40 lessons and 25-30 days/yr of skiing, so my technique is new school. Totally addicted!!

Currently on legend 8000's 172's,they seem to do everything well, but ski Telluride and Jackson 90% of the time and seem to be always wanting something a little wider although I'm on trail 70% of the time I want something for that 8-10" of fresh or when the trails are too busy, was thinking Mythic riders but concerned they could be to stiff for my size. Looking for any suggestions and feed back.
post #2 of 19
Hi Like2ski,

Welcome and glad you've caught the ski addiction like everyone else here. From your specs and self described ability....I have a couple of brief comments for you:

-Legend 8K is a fine on-piste ski (I own a pair of 184s), however IMHO they can't compare to a true off piste weapon around 100mm underfoot. The usual suspects emerge in this discussion...Gotamas, Mantras, Line P 100s, Fisher Watea 94 and 101, etc. You will notice a significant difference if you make the jump to a 100mm waisted ski
-The Mythic is a great ski but I'm not sure that it will accomplish what you want. It will float more than the 8ks but is only 8mm wider...it also a bit stiffer so will power the crud and heavier snow better. However, I don't think it will be so much better that its worth owning both of these skis.
-In terms of length, the time to be biased toward a longer ski is for an off-piste, soft snow board. If you roll on the 172s on piste, I'd grab a wider board that takes you up to the high 170s for soft snow days. The increased length will be more stable, and if it has a good flex and sidecut will still be very nimble...particularly if its a twin tip--they ski shorter.

Those are my general comments. Do some more searching from old threads regarding a full range of options for you....my suggestion is focus on skis with a waist from 95-105mm.

Cheers
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
The other ski is the Mantra it seems the width would provide enough float and from what I have been reading it works well on trail also. Thanks for the feed back.
post #4 of 19
Check out Teton Gravity forums for more info on Line Prophet 100. Incredible ski and excellent for you application and locations. Definitely better than the Mantra in powder yet excellent on the groomers. I'm not sure on length for you - your weight says 186 but your height says 179 OR 186. As twin tips they ski quite short - the 179 has less contact length than your 8000s.
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2ski View Post
I'm looking for the impossible.... the one ski that does it all...
Without intending any insult.... Since you currently ski mostly on trail and only need something to help with 8-10" of fresh you may already be as close to that one ski quiver as is possible - the 8K's (I demo'd them last year in conditions that varied from soft groomers to bumps with crud to 12"+ of fresh CO off-piste and was quite impressed).

OTOH once you experience the epiphany of skiing off-piste on a pair of 100mm+/- waist skis (especially at Jackson) you may give up on the notion of a one-ski quiver (you may even find yourself seeking the off-piste pow when the trails are empty). Sure some people brag that Mantras are their "everyday" ski, but IMHO there's nothing more secure-feeling than a pair of mid-70mm or so waist skis for a day of packed/hard snow skiing, just like there is nothing more heavenly than skiing deep off-piste conditions on a pair of wide-waisted skis.

Go wider and keep the 8K's
post #6 of 19
You'll find that the Legend 8K will be hard to beat in the conditions you mention. But if you want something a little wider, the Mythic Rider in 172 should be perfect, especially since you the like the Dynastar feel. You can get them in that size at www.sierraskis.com for $339 with free shipping.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by locknload View Post
Hi Like2ski,

Welcome and glad you've caught the ski addiction like everyone else here. From your specs and self described ability....I have a couple of brief comments for you:

-Legend 8K is a fine on-piste ski (I own a pair of 184s), however IMHO they can't compare to a true off piste weapon around 100mm underfoot. The usual suspects emerge in this discussion...Gotamas, Mantras, Line P 100s, Fisher Watea 94 and 101, etc. You will notice a significant difference if you make the jump to a 100mm waisted ski
-The Mythic is a great ski but I'm not sure that it will accomplish what you want. It will float more than the 8ks but is only 8mm wider...it also a bit stiffer so will power the crud and heavier snow better. However, I don't think it will be so much better that its worth owning both of these skis.
-In terms of length, the time to be biased toward a longer ski is for an off-piste, soft snow board. If you roll on the 172s on piste, I'd grab a wider board that takes you up to the high 170s for soft snow days. The increased length will be more stable, and if it has a good flex and sidecut will still be very nimble...particularly if its a twin tip--they ski shorter.

Those are my general comments. Do some more searching from old threads regarding a full range of options for you....my suggestion is focus on skis with a waist from 95-105mm.

Cheers
LISTEN TO HIM!!!
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-ra View Post
Go wider and keep the 8K's
seconded
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by locknload View Post
Hi Like2ski,

Welcome and glad you've caught the ski addiction like everyone else here. From your specs and self described ability....I have a couple of brief comments for you:

-Legend 8K is a fine on-piste ski (I own a pair of 184s), however IMHO they can't compare to a true off piste weapon around 100mm underfoot.
-In terms of length, the time to be biased toward a longer ski is for an off-piste, soft snow board. If you roll on the 172s on piste, I'd grab a wider board that takes you up to the high 170s for soft snow days. The increased length will be more stable, and if it has a good flex and sidecut will still be very nimble...particularly if its a twin tip--they ski shorter.

Those are my general comments. Do some more searching from old threads regarding a full range of options for you....my suggestion is focus on skis with a waist from 95-105mm.

Cheers
Great comments that I agree with. Like your self I have been back skiing for 5-6 seasons. In that time I have gravitated to the Movement brand. Check their site at: http://www.movementskis.com/
Look at the Goliath Sluff skis description. I think it will kick the sh!t out of the other mentioned skis for what you want. I would recommend the 184, but that is your call.
post #10 of 19
Movement skis definitely intrigue me. I really haven't seen a ton on the Mtn. ( I ski in UT ). Would love to try some. They're a bit pricey..but I guess no more than a full price Vokl or Head top of the line ski. How long have you been skiing them Live2ski?
post #11 of 19
You already have a great ski. Within its terrain parameters, the L8K is hard to beat. So what to get next?? I think there are three rather variable positions within any western ski quiver. One would be for mostly groomers, bumps, and off trail when it hasn't snowed much (this is what you have....keep it) The next two positions would be something in the 90mm(ish) range and then something in the 100+ range.

I personally own all three spots in the spectrum. If I were keeping one, it would be the "tweener". The particular model varies but last year, this past years ski was a Mythic Rider in 178, the year before, an Atomic Snoop in a 185. This year...? who knows....too many good skis.

If I were to have two, then it would be #1 and #3

SJ
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by locknload View Post
How long have you been skiing them Live2ski?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2ski View Post
...been skiing 5 years...
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Appreciate all the input, seems like my 8K's are good for most conditions, last season was my first on the 8k and was surprized how they plowed there crud and held an edge I thought they were very easy to turn. But I tried them in 24" of pow off trail at T-ride and Jackson, really my first time off trail and my butt was kicked by the end of the day. Seems like I should think wider than the Mythic..how about the Coomba?
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2ski View Post
Appreciate all the input, seems like my 8K's are good for most conditions, last season was my first on the 8k and was surprized how they plowed there crud and held an edge I thought they were very easy to turn. But I tried them in 24" of pow off trail at T-ride and Jackson, really my first time off trail and my butt was kicked by the end of the day. Seems like I should think wider than the Mythic..how about the Coomba?
I've been on 8k's (and Mythics and LP's) for 3 years, and the step from 8Kto MR's is not huge, though it does bring a big on pow days.

If you like the feel of the 8K, a LP is one size bigger than the MR, and is a great time on big hills, but I wouldn't like to have to deal with EC "hardpack with it. If warp speed on big hills isn't a major desire, but something that does fine in pow, trees, etc, a MR could be the ticket as a one ski quiver.

The Dynastar duo work well enough for me that I have pairs of 8k's and MR's stashed at Whistler, Solitude and home on the EC.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2ski View Post
Seems like I should think wider than the Mythic..how about the Coomba?
Coomba, Gotama, Line P 100, Legend Pros (if you like a stiffer ski), Atomic Pimp, etc. are all in the recommended 100mm range (or, as the SierraJim wisely stated, go with the #3 slot). Which one will you like best? My advice is to hold off with a purchase until you can demo a few of these next time you're at T-ride or Jackson and the snow's been-a flyin. It will be a revelation!
post #16 of 19
Well, if 90% of your skiing is at Tell and JH, absolutely agree with keeping the 8K's sharp and for 70/30 duty. And if that, I'd say go at least 100 for your 30/70. So many good skis to choose from. At your level and mission, Goats might be a place to start since they are actually all-mountains and thrive in everything except sheet ice on the way to the powder.

Along those lines, the Prophet 100, soft Bros, or Head Supermojo 105 are very versatile and deserve some research. If you like the feel of Dynastar, skip the LP and ponder the 187 XXL; not out of the question assuming you like to charge and plan to keep taking lessons. They will make you better. The Movement Sluff might also fit your needs, and is better suited than any of the above for AT bindings and some future backcountry adventures. Good luck!
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by locknload View Post
Movement skis definitely intrigue me. I really haven't seen a ton on the Mtn. ( I ski in UT ). Would love to try some. They're a bit pricey..but I guess no more than a full price Vokl or Head top of the line ski. How long have you been skiing them Live2ski?
Where in Utah are you?

You will be able to go into the Backcountry.com store in SLC and check out Movement skis. I don't recall if they have any demo's. If you were in Colorado there are a number of shops that have Movement demo's you could take out.
post #18 of 19
Thanks Shirk...good tip. We have a house Park City and split between the three resorts there and the Cottonwoods. Easy enough to swing through SLC to pick up a pair to try.

Cheers
post #19 of 19
To me it looks like you are really talking a 2 ski quiver. The 8k's you presently have and one for the deeper stuff. IMHO don't shy away from even fatter skis. Maybe even over 110mm. Use the 8k"s on average days and the new fatter ones on the epic days. My guess is that with new longer fatter skiis you will have such a good time you will be spending less and less time on the groomed and more and more exploring the other goods the mountains have to offer.

Exactly which ski: either demo or pick one that sounds good from these (and other) posts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion