EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Ok Bears ESA Snowmass, Stowe or Big Sky which do you like more
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ok Bears ESA Snowmass, Stowe or Big Sky which do you like more - Page 2

post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW Skier View Post
OK TC I have to ask

what IS AKA virginclutch?

Is this one of your ALIAS's

I forget about that, until someone brings it up.
Its a nick name I got after ESA Stowe last December, much like Philpug's AKA Moron Edge

Robin Barnes was trying to teach me to get rid of my wicked stem when I was learning to ski the bumps. She told me to "engage my virgin clutch to lose the stem" In other words, legs together.
It worked!

Philpug has his own story about being "MoronEdge"
post #32 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

I forget about that, until someone brings it up.
Its a nick name I got after ESA Stowe last December, much like Philpug's AKA Moron Edge

Robin Barnes was trying to teach me to get rid of my wicked stem when I was learning to ski the bumps. She told me to "engage my virgin clutch to lose the stem" In other words, legs together.
It worked!

Philpug has his own story about being "MoronEdge"
OK I get it now thats kind of a unique name
post #33 of 54
Was it only about clutching your legs together or also easing up on the clutch while pushing the gas pedal? I drove a standard transmission twice, so I don't really know how it would relate to skiing, but I always imagined virgin clutch was a driving reference.

Although it seems like this would only work on left turns...
post #34 of 54
Something special about putting in to gear the first time?
post #35 of 54
Now that I no longer live in the East, Stowe actually gets some descent weather for ESA. That said, even if you get the horrific weather that I experienced at the first event, if you live there, you have to ski it, so you may as well learn to ski it right.

Personal opinion: I got the absolute most out of Big Sky. There's something to be said for wide open trails with nobody in front of you, no lift lines and a general feeling calmness.
post #36 of 54

ESA Choice?

I have yet to attend an ESA event. Chose Big Sky for my first one; can drive there - about 6 hours, ok cost and maybe most important I have never been there and just keep wondering HOW THE HELL I AM GOING TO GET OFF THE TOP of LONE MT.
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
Was it only about clutching your legs together or also easing up on the clutch while pushing the gas pedal? I drove a standard transmission twice, so I don't really know how it would relate to skiing, but I always imagined virgin clutch was a driving reference.

Although it seems like this would only work on left turns...
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI-3PO View Post
Something special about putting in to gear the first time?
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
I have yet to attend an ESA event. Chose Big Sky for my first one; can drive there - about 6 hours, ok cost and maybe most important I have never been there and just keep wondering HOW THE HELL I AM GOING TO GET OFF THE TOP of LONE MT.
See you there!
post #38 of 54
Thread Starter 
With my schedule it is looking more and more like I will be attending Big Sky. I like all the feedback though keep it comming I am sure someone else is asking that same question!!!!!!
post #39 of 54
RE: VirginClutch

After ESA Stowe 2007, I endeavored to put the teachings of Coach Campbell (PBUH) to use the rest of the season. But there were more than a few times when I engaged the Virgin Clutch, and dammit if it didn't help.

Thank you Robin & Trek.
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusFire View Post
RE: VirginClutch

After ESA Stowe 2007, I endeavored to put the teachings of Coach Campbell (PBUH) to use the rest of the season. But there were more than a few times when I engaged the Virgin Clutch, and dammit if it didn't help.

Thank you Robin & Trek.
Do I get some kind of commission on this?
post #41 of 54
Trekchick & Pete -

There are many safe ways down Lone Mountain. Of course, you might fall and slide a couple hundred yards but there won't be anything hard to hit so, besides your pride, you'll be fine.

BTW - I usually charge people I'm skiing with $20 to bring their skis down to them after a long slide but I'll give you the ESA discount and do it for $10.
post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Trekchick & Pete -

There are many safe ways down Lone Mountain. Of course, you might fall and slide a couple hundred yards but there won't be anything hard to hit so, besides your pride, you'll be fine.

BTW - I usually charge people I'm skiing with $20 to bring their skis down to them after a long slide but I'll give you the ESA discount and do it for $10.
How does Rio spell

C H A - C H I N G !!!

Do me a favor. Don't tell Cgeib about this. He'd have made a bunch of $$ off me.
post #43 of 54
Thread Starter 
Hey TC sounds like a pretty good business oportunityHA/HA/HA
post #44 of 54
Is that $10 each, or for the pair?
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
Is that $10 each, or for the pair?
$10 for the pair but there is a surcharge of $2 for every 100 vertical feet I have to bring them down after the first 200 vertical feet.

BTW - All fees are waved if the fall was caught on video and you post it on this forum.
post #46 of 54
And if you have to sidestep up a little?
post #47 of 54

Lone Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Trekchick & Pete -

There are many safe ways down Lone Mountain. Of course, you might fall and slide a couple hundred yards but there won't be anything hard to hit so, besides your pride, you'll be fine.

BTW - I usually charge people I'm skiing with $20 to bring their skis down to them after a long slide but I'll give you the ESA discount and do it for $10.


Okay, when I was on top of Lone Peak, I didn't see a "chicken" way down, so I just skied it kind'a cautiously, right down the front. Unfortunately you weren't around to pick up my pieces. It looked to me that you would slide at least 5,000-feet...OMG!
post #48 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by olylady View Post


Okay, when I was on top of Lone Peak, I didn't see a "chicken" way down, so I just skied it kind'a cautiously, right down the front. Unfortunately you weren't around to pick up my pieces. It looked to me that you would slide at least 5,000-feet...OMG!
That could really add up
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by olylady View Post
Okay, when I was on top of Lone Peak, I didn't see a "chicken" way down, so I just skied it kind'a cautiously, right down the front. Unfortunately you weren't around to pick up my pieces. It looked to me that you would slide at least 5,000-feet...OMG!
I have attached a picture of Lone Peak showing where most people descend coming off the tram. The vertical feet after the traverse across is 1200 feet at most so the largest fee you would incur is $30 which is a bargain when you look up and see how far you'd have to climb to get your skis.
525x525px-LL-vbattach3960.jpg
post #50 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
And if you have to sidestep up a little?
Won't happen. I know better than to be downhill from ESA attendees in the steeps.
post #51 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
I have attached a picture of Lone Peak showing where most people descend coming off the tram. The vertical feet after the traverse across is 1200 feet at most so the largest fee you would incur is $30 which is a bargain when you look up and see how far you'd have to climb to get your skis.

Would'a, should'a...thanks for the line! $30 is a bargain...I think????
post #52 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Trekchick & Pete -

There are many safe ways down Lone Mountain. Of course, you might fall and slide a couple hundred yards but there won't be anything hard to hit so, besides your pride, you'll be fine.

BTW - I usually charge people I'm skiing with $20 to bring their skis down to them after a long slide but I'll give you the ESA discount and do it for $10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
Is that $10 each, or for the pair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
$10 for the pair but there is a surcharge of $2 for every 100 vertical feet I have to bring them down after the first 200 vertical feet.

BTW - All fees are waved if the fall was caught on video and you post it on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
And if you have to sidestep up a little?
This looks an awful lot like Epic is preparing for his time with me at ESA Stowe.


epic, will you take payment in the form of sticky fish?
post #53 of 54
I don't recall picking up any skis last time. Was I just in the wrong place?
post #54 of 54
There were no that I recall, however, I've had a couple with plenty of witness' around. Mostly Bears.

Just thought you were preparing for the possibility of making some $$ off me, with my reputation and all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Ok Bears ESA Snowmass, Stowe or Big Sky which do you like more