or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MTB Rough frame size

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I ride a 56cm road frame. Is there any way to roughly size an MTB frame from that?

For example, an Aluminum Trek frame on CL is calling my name, but it is a 54.5cm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
I ride a 56cm road frame. Is there any way to roughly size an MTB frame from that?

For example, an Aluminum Trek frame on CL is calling my name, but it is a 54.5cm
I ride a 56cm road bike and have 18inch mtb frame

18 inch is 45.72 CM

54.5 centimeter would be 21.5 inches.

21.5 is way to big of a MTB frame for someone riding a 56cm road bike. i would look in hte 17 - 19 inch size range and try to at least sit on the bike before purchasing, alot of mtb fit different than thier size says.
post #3 of 8
I have found that the top tube length is more important than the frame height (MTB)... As long as there is adequate stand over height. MTB frames tend to have a greater slope, to increase standover height, ease dismounting. There are also different ways of measuring frame size.

If the frames top tube is too long or short, it won't feel comfortable.

You should consider your leg and torso lengths.

Also the type of Mountain Bike. ie a hardtail racer vs. a free ride bike.

This is a worthy read...
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html
post #4 of 8
I always road a 58 and find 19" MTB fit best. A 21.5 is a big MTB.
I'm going through a CL old MTB addiction phase right now. Bought two steel hardtails in a week, got to stop looking and sell something.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
I ride a 56cm road bike and have 18inch mtb frame

18 inch is 45.72 CM

54.5 centimeter would be 21.5 inches.

21.5 is way to big of a MTB frame for someone riding a 56cm road bike. i would look in hte 17 - 19 inch size range and try to at least sit on the bike before purchasing, alot of mtb fit different than thier size says.
Yep, I kind of had a moment there where I completely forgot about frame geometry and the differences in MTB and road biking. Thanks for setting me straight.

IIRC my old hardtail is an 18" frame. Too short to ride frequently on smooth surfaces, but o.k. in the woods.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
Yep, I kind of had a moment there where I completely forgot about frame geometry and the differences in MTB and road biking. Thanks for setting me straight.

IIRC my old hardtail is an 18" frame. Too short to ride frequently on smooth surfaces, but o.k. in the woods.
I would go 18 inch for a FS and 19 for a hardtail then. Most XC hardtails i have ridden were most comfortable off road and on in a 19 inch size.

I am 5'11 with a 31 inch inseem.

also oddly enough 20 inch GF 29ers fit me great as well.
post #7 of 8
I ride hand-me down and yard sale roadbikes. Sized based on what was on sale for $10.

How do I choose a starting size for a mountain bike frame? I have a tape measure to measure my inseam.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I ride hand-me down and yard sale roadbikes. Sized based on what was on sale for $10.

How do I choose a starting size for a mountain bike frame? I have a tape measure to measure my inseam.
Take 2 inches off the seat tube length of that Raleigh.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling