EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › He's wearing girls pants...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

He's wearing girls pants...

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
But still pretty freakin' funny!
post #2 of 15
I dont get it..........
post #3 of 15
uh...?

ad on the page kinda sucks, too.
post #4 of 15
Trying for bathos?
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
I dont get it..........
thats because your not hippster scum which is a good thing.

I hate hippster flying around on their fixies cutting people off. Also the irony they are trying to be different but they all ride the same kinda of bike, they all wear the same kinda of clothes, and they all show up to the same ride every month that give bikes a worse reputation each time they do it.

Hippster = posuers
Fixies = excuse to break traffic laws
Critical Mass = the worst thing we can do as bikers to spread advocacy, this is the one that really ticks me off because it DOES affect me.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Bush nailed it. I hate the whole hipster movement and their "I'm an individual" belief. Unfortunately, being a student, I see it more then most. We have a saying here at RIT: "F*cking Art Majors".

I saw a few last week while I was out on a ride, tight black pants, sweatbands and shirts that looked like they came from the Salvation Army but in reality were likely purchased at some trendy boutique store.

They thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, so when they finally went from from side-by-side to single file I reveled in the fact that I could shift and fly by them.




I like the video because the hipster was completely unexpected...
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
Bush nailed it. I hate tho whole hipster movement and their "I'm an individual" belief. Unfortunately, being a student, I see it more then most. We have a saying here at RIT: "F*cking Art Majors".

I saw a few last week while I was out on a ride, tight black pants, sweatbands and shirts that looked like they came from the Salvation Army but in reality were likely purchased at some trendy boutique store.

They thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, so when they finally went from from side-by-side to single file I reveled in the fact that I could shift and fly by them.




I like the video because the hipster was completely unexpected...
whats really funny is hippsters that dont ride fixies, and I would love to see one of them actually umm like race a bike.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
I hate tho whole hipster movement and their "I'm an individual" belief. Unfortunately, being a student, I see it more then most. We have a saying here at RIT: "F*cking Art Majors".
and out here at the college of the street, we have one, too: "there's someone else's style, and then there's worrying about it." (or hating, take your pick.)

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
and out here at the college of the street, we have one, too: "there's someone else's style, and then there's worrying about it." (or hating, take your pick.)

I wouldnt hate on them if they didnt do critical mass.
post #10 of 15
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
yeah the worst thing bikers could do for themselves, its just makes driver angry.

The best thing biker can do it be out there be visiable, and follow the laws.

I am all for civil disobedience, but in this case it hurts the cause more than it helps.
post #12 of 15

Ride to Defeat ALS

Critical Mass has caused a lot of crap here in SF, but I think drivers who hate on cyclists would still do/say the same stupid stuff they do. The perception is that CM makes it worse, but that's not the reality I've seen.

Cyclists have as much "tribe" induced angst among each other as we have with cars. Roadie v. MTB, hating on fixies, etc. It's all negative, and it's all b.s. IMO.

Whatev; on Saturday I'm riding with a bunch of friends and we're doing the Napa Ride to Defeat ALS. If you'd like more info, look here: http://web.alsa.org/site/TR/Rides/Ba...eam&fr_id=3600
post #13 of 15
The problem with even the most polite Critical Mass is that it builds a concentration that cannot be sustained day-in day-out.

They do have one right idea though (more bikes, more often is the only path to cyclist safety).

Scientific American podcast

Quote:
What's surprising, the researchers say, is that biker safety doesn't seem to correspond to a city's efforts to cut down on accidents. Run-ins between bikes and cars had little to do with miles of bike lanes or lower speed limits. But if the number of bike riders in a city doubled, the rate of bike-car accidents dropped by a third.
Related paper
http://www.tsc.berkeley.edu/newslett...obsenPaper.pdf
post #14 of 15
In concept critical mass is a great idea. Get a bunch of people together for a ride, try to spread the message that bikes have a place on the roads too. I can certainly get on board with that.

Being a dickface and breaking the law, thats a bad idea. I mean WTF if a bunch of motorists did the same thing in SUVs. Roads are to be shared not bogarted.

However since critical masses are loosely organized and not really governed, can you say that as a whole they are bad? I'm sure that at some of the smaller ones, there is less road blocking and more riding. I could be completely wrong, but I'm sure there are some where laws are not broken, but people ride as a large group (and not just roadie types) and make the point that hey respect cyclists.
post #15 of 15
I ride critical mass all day every day. It makes drivers act angry but I think they were already angry before they got stuck behind me.

Sorry if I'm ruining it for everyone, but I don't think I am. I agree with Dino and Comprex.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › He's wearing girls pants...