New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What skis did I buy?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Went to the Team Summit ski swap and picked up the following:

182 cm Dynastar Speed Course 66 w/ Look Pivot 14 racing bindings & autodrive plates. 104 66 91 r=21 Typicall red, white and blue colors but no stripes on the tails like I see on the real skier photos. I will try to upload some photos.

My confusion comes when I go to real skier and can only find the 182 cm size in the Comp model, but I am pretty sure that I didn't get this one as this ski does not say comp and the comp model for sale definitely said comp on it with a slight variation in the color pattern.

The ski I got was skied by Shelley, so could it be a "woman's" model?

Any thoughts as to whether this will make a decent GS cheater ski for a new racer? Price wasn't bad, so don't worry about hurting my feelings.

Thanks,
Matt
post #2 of 22
I think we've had this thread before...
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 

Photos

Pic
525x525px-LL-vbattach3777.jpg
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI-3PO View Post
I think we've had this thread before...
Wouldn't be the first time...what was the answer (or link)? I did a google search before posting and looked at a few epic posts, but didn't find anything definitive....
post #5 of 22
IIRC that is Dynastar's consumer/retail race model. Although unlike other consumer race it is r>21 rather than 18-19. If it is teh one i am thinking of the construction is sort of a mix of cap and sidewall

I owned a pair briefly a couple of years back and while they worked OK they just didn't do it for me compared to the feel of my Fischer WC so I never actually skied them in the gates and sold them on.

They should work OK for you since you are just getting back into gates (and are on western snow rather than eastern ice).
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI-3PO View Post
I think we've had this thread before...
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread...ar+a utodrive

Where is Trotski?

Michael
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
Where is Trotski?

Michael
Reckon we should tell him his skis were skied by girls?
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
Reckon we should tell him his skis were skied by girls?
and her name was Shelly as seen in photo above the binding...my guess is she carves hardpack better than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post

The ski I got was skied by Shelley, so could it be a "woman's" model?
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
Thanks Michael, but after reading that thread and some other posts that included Trotski Dynastar and Course, I am still not exactly sure which ski I have...did you guys ever figure it out? My ski looks identical to Trotski's except that it is 182, not 187. Did Trotski ever review it?
post #10 of 22
Trotski never mounted the bindings.

You're already one up on him.
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post
Thanks Michael, but after reading that thread and some other posts that included Trotski Dynastar and Course, I am still not exactly sure which ski I have...did you guys ever figure it out? My ski looks identical to Trotski's except that it is 182, not 187. Did Trotski ever review it?
Hi,

Try to determine is your ski is an Autodrive construction ski or a laminate construction model.

The Autodrive construction skis have a vertical sidewall under the mid-length of the ski, but feature cap construction at the tips and tails. This makes the ski easier to use than a ski with vertical sidewalls running the full length of the ski.

All Autodrive construction skis are intended for recreational skiing. The laminate skis with full length sidewalls are intended for racing.

Does the ski have a full length sidewall? If it has a full length sidewall, it is not an Autodrive ski.

Michael
post #12 of 22

Not a GS cheater, WC legal womans GS ski, FIS legal Mens

2004/2005 Production/retail race ski. Dynastar had several constructions for race stock skis including full laminate and autodrive constructions. But that doesn't look like a race stock. It looks like an autodrive construction ski. It uses the axial binding/P14 rather than the race stock binding and plate.
Good skis for a strong racer or ex-racer. 21 meter turn radius. So not a cheater GS ski.

GS cheater ski is typically about a 17-18 turn radius. Waist width on the cheater GS ski is probably 67-68mm waist and skied a little shorter like a 175-178 for most men. So tip width would be 112mm. tail like 98mm wide. So cheater GS will start turns easier and end turns stonger. 21 meter GS (what you have) will require more tip pressure and ski more like a "straight" ski.

The waist is 66 due to FIS regulations lowering the plate thickness so skis were made wider to eliminate boot-out with the lowered plates.
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 

Now you can call me a girl

I am pretty sure it is the autodrive model as the plate says autodrive on it. Like Trotskis, starting around the arch, it quickly gets much thicker under foot (not counting the plate which gets thinner) as you move towards your toes. However, I am not sure what makes it cap construction in the tail and tip- to me it looks like the verticle sidewalls get much thinner towards tail and tip, but are not rounded off (like I thought was indicative of cap construction as seen on the tip/tails of the skis I purchased today



Speed Omeglass *

152, 157, 165113/64/102
Overview:
Similar to race slalom used by Erik Schlopy. Gates or fall line poppers only.carve:5
skid:1
rebound:5
stability:2 straight run:2
quickness:5
lightness:5
forgiveness:2

Although I am not sure, this ski appears to have the same previous owner with Shelly's name appearing on the topsheet. It is a 152, so definitely a women's size.

I realize that is will likely end up being too small for me, but figured the Look Pivot 14 racing bindings could be used on another set of skis making the $50 price reasonable even if I only end up using this ski at the beginning of the season until I find something else??
post #14 of 22
The ski featured in the Realskiers description is the SL ski, yours is the GS ski.

Michael
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
The ski featured in the Realskiers description is the SL ski, yours is the GS ski.

Michael
I bought the 182 cm Speed Course 66 Friday and the 152 cm Speed Omeglass 64 today...I don't know a lot about ski construction, but from the description given in the Trotski thread, it looks like the SL definitely has cap tip & tail while the GS doesn't have the same rounding off of the top edge at tip & tail (although they get thinner). Same bindings, but slightly different plates that both say autodrive. Both skis thicken quickly underfoot going towards the toes.
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post
I bought the 182 cm Speed Course 66 Friday and the 152 cm Speed Omeglass 64 today...I don't know a lot about ski construction, but from the description given in the Trotski thread, it looks like the SL definitely has cap tip & tail while the GS doesn't have the same rounding off of the top edge at tip & tail (although they get thinner). Same bindings, but slightly different plates that both say autodrive. Both skis thicken quickly underfoot going towards the toes.
Please see the picture. The right ski is the Contact 11 and is an Autodrive ski, The ski on the left is the Contact 4x4, a laminate ski. The sidewall on the Autodrive ski ends and the topskin comes all the way to the edge on the tip & tail. The laminate ski has a full length sidewall and the top skin never meets the edge.
525x525px-LL-vbattach3785.jpg
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for sticking with me Michael...so would the SL ski on the right be cap while the GS ski on the left be full sidewall/lamiinate?
525x525px-LL-vbattach3787.jpg
post #18 of 22
I would say the ski on the left is laminate ski. The ski on the right also looks like a laminate ski, but with an autodrive feature too.

Dynastar does not make it easy. Both skis should be race ski models. Club race or WC race or something in between? I would say Club race.

Michael
post #19 of 22

autodrive but who cares??

These are retail stock autodrive skis. 2003/2004 or 2004/2005
They don't use the race stock type bindings or have the obvious dynastar race stock markings so they aren't race stock.
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks...I was curious as to what I bought and passed up some GS skis that were marked as race stock because I thought that would be too much for me as a new racer. Hopefully, these will allow me to work on my carving at the beginning of the year and give me some time to get more dialed in on the best skis for me going forward.
post #21 of 22

You will end up buying the right stuff latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post
Thanks...I was curious as to what I bought and passed up some GS skis that were marked as race stock because I thought that would be too much for me as a new racer. Hopefully, these will allow me to work on my carving at the beginning of the year and give me some time to get more dialed in on the best skis for me going forward.
Race stock in some cases are softer than retail stock. There are many stiffnesses of race stock skis. That's why they are race stock, different constructions and flex patterns.

You should have followed the advice given here and got some GS cheaters (race carvers) and some softer flexing 160-165 race slaloms.

I don't understand why you asked for advice on this forum and them ignored it. Because what you should have gotten was more expensive?? Buying wrong size or wrong type skis is false economy.
You will end up buying the right stuff latter.

But at least you have rock skis for early season!!
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordtheBarbarian View Post
You should have followed the advice given here and got some GS cheaters (race carvers) and some softer flexing 160-165 race slaloms.

I don't understand why you asked for advice on this forum and them ignored it. Because what you should have gotten was more expensive?? Buying wrong size or wrong type skis is false economy.
You will end up buying the right stuff latter.

But at least you have rock skis for early season!!
You might be right and I will likely end up following the advice given, but I am only out $120 for two pairs of skis plus bindings that are much better suited for running gates than my Watea 84s or Scott P4s. I have never had any race training and if I get into it, I fully expect to buy some additional gear, but would prefer to hold off on spending bigger money until I have decided if I like racing, gotten some advice from my coaches and had a chance to demo.

I expect to ski about 60-80 days this year and figure I will get my money's worth even if they only end up being rock skis, standbys while I demo, loaners for friends, harvest the bindings for different skis or I maybe I will end up selling them...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion