New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gotama question #746

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
After fondling some skis today (obSethed, Apache Chief, Bridge, Wall, Gotama, HellBent, Extreme, Chopstick, Watea 84, and some Armadas) I think I'm ready to commit to the '08 Gotama.

I'm looking for some opinions on the ideal length. This will be a 2-ski quiver.

1- Hardpack daily driver = 175 Fischer RX 6 (114-68-98)
2- More than 4" of fresh snow = Gotama

176 or 183?

Intended use for the Goats:

-East Coast
-Mostly tree skiing
-Jay Peak, Stowe

6'
135lbs
Level 7-ish


I'm juggling with 183 since it's a twin & 176 since it's for trees. Might hit small cliffs on the pow days (10 feet max).

Leaning toward the 183...
post #2 of 19
eat a freaking burrito (and steak and ribs and a burger and...) and get the 183's
post #3 of 19
For 2 ski quiver - go with 183. It skis short.

cfr
post #4 of 19
Before you get too far along, consider the following.......

You have to flex the ski to turn it.....135lbs suggests the 176
Thre trees at Stowe and Jay are pretty tight..... that suggests the 176.
I've BTDT and it's not usual that you can ski the trees at either resort fast enough to need the longer size.

OTH, the Goat is an easy ski to manage. (not wimpy, just not super aggro) that suggests that you might be able to work the 183 well enough. The question you gots to axe yourself is....do you need the stability? or would you rather have the quickness?

Your choice, either can work OK. 176=more nimble and easier going. 183=more stability but at a cost of manuverability.

I lived in Stowe for four years, if I were going back, I'd keep my 183 Goats for what you describe. (5-10" 190#)

SJ
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
You have to flex the ski to turn it.....135lbs suggests the 176
Thre trees at Stowe and Jay are pretty tight..... that suggests the 176.
seriously, he's right... not that i've ever skied the east at ALL (and i never intend to...)

but as joking as my first comment was, your easiest solution to this problem REALLY is to go put on 20 pounds. done aaand... done
post #6 of 19
Contact Finndog, I think he is looking to sell a new pair of 183's.
post #7 of 19
I'd say 176.
post #8 of 19
I agree with most... Get the 183, and put on some weight! I am 5'7 about 155, and I just ordered a 183 BRO. (Admittedly I could loose a little weight...) With your additional height you should have no problem turning the longer goats in the woods, just remember: TGIF. Tips Go In First!!!
post #9 of 19
I'd pay close attention to what SJ said.

Did I just type that?

Heck, at your weight, if you are not especially a driving type skier you might even consider a Kiku. Just a crazy thought.
post #10 of 19
I'm 6 ft, 165, ski the 07-08 183. Yes, it skis shorter than you'd think even for a twin, and yes, it works trees and big bumps nicely out west, but I'd want the 176 for eastern skiing.

Calculate: you're 30 pounds lighter than me, and 55 lbs lighter than SJ, and we both ski the 183. And apparently the new Goat is 15% stiffer (yet again) in the middle. So yes, you could handle the new 183 just fine, but it wouldn't be the quickest thing around, and there's a real paucity of big open powder faces back here. So forget the static about gaining weight, because you'll live forever and they won't, and get the 176.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
For 2 ski quiver - go with 183. It skis short.

cfr
What he said.

The Gotama does ski short. I was on the 190 last year & will likely be on the 08 Gotama this year.

I never brought it into the trees though- at least not tight ones.

Also I think you need a better meat jacket for the winter season.
post #12 of 19
Question about the skiing length of the Goats

I have heard that they all ski short, but what does a 183 / 190 ski like then? I haven't been able to find much helpful info on this.

I'm 6'2" 185lbs level 7 skier, for mixed east coast and west coast skiing.
post #13 of 19
183 for your purposes.
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Damn now I'm even more torn.

Speed is not a concern (I rarely break 20mph). I'm just thinking the 183's will float better and I'm worried about wheelie-blowout when landing the 176's off drops.

o2gear is selling '08 and '09 goats for 20% off until midnight tonight... gotta think fast
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
Damn now I'm even more torn.

Speed is not a concern (I rarely break 20mph). I'm just thinking the 183's will float better and I'm worried about wheelie-blowout when landing the 176's off drops.

o2gear is selling '08 and '09 goats for 20% off until midnight tonight... gotta think fast
at your weight 176 is perfect. It would probably even be perfect for most place out west.

all yeah since this is 746 question you get this really cool picture

post #16 of 19
6 feet tall and 135 lbs? Is that even possible?

Like everybody else said - go short.
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Yeah 6' 135 is possible I've weighed that for 10 years. Technically 5'11 & 3/4" but heyyy. I answer to "skinny mother ******" on a regular basis among friends so no offense taken. It's my otherworldly metabolism.



I bought the 176's. It's very hard for me to grasp that this is the right length but we'll see how it goes in a few months. Going to put mojo 15's on.

On to the boot, goggle, jacket, pant and gloves search!
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
Yeah 6' 135 is possible I've weighed that for 10 years. Technically 5'11 & 3/4" but heyyy. I answer to "skinny mother ******" on a regular basis among friends so no offense taken. It's my otherworldly metabolism.



I bought the 176's. It's very hard for me to grasp that this is the right length but we'll see how it goes in a few months. Going to put mojo 15's on.

On to the boot, goggle, jacket, pant and gloves search!
don't worry. you done right.
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hope so.

Icing on the cake: They ran out of '08s so they're giving me '09's at the same price ($479 shipped)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion