New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

It ain't right.... - Page 3

post #61 of 87
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict View Post
Why do you CHOOSE to suffer in New England?

Go west old man!

I've ALMOST done just that a few times. But having worked for the same company for then 15 years....and now 25 years, it's difficult to turn your back on all the vacation time, pension and other "stuff".

There's always retirement....then I really could do it
post #62 of 87
GeoffD - good point about cheap day-trippers crowding out the long-distance tourists. Its especially true during (local) holidays.

That's why I bypassed I-70 and drove all the way to Crested Butte last year for our Feb week (starting at Pres. Day). By the end of the week, the locals were back at work/school and I-70 was nice (2 days at Breck) to split up the drive back to Denver and the airport.

[Off topic, but according to the advertising I've received flying straight to Gunnison is going to be more cost-competitive this year.]
post #63 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Night skiing pretty much only exists close to major population centers.
This isn't quite right. It must be cultural. There is plenty of night skiing in NY in locations that are not near what I would term "major population centers" and where most of the crowd is from local small towns. Why that doesn't happen in New England I don't know.
Quote:
The result? Killington was empty because ASC had trained all the high yield business to go elsewhere. Okemo had a record year for skier visits. It will take years to unwind the damage caused by the weekend mayhem those cheap passes caused.
People chose to spend their winters at slokemo instead of Killington over something as trite as pass price? The mind boggles.
Quote:
As a moron touron from thousands of miles away, I don't have the local knowledge and I have no interest in spending large dollars to stand in lines and ski on a surface that's been beat up from too much skier traffic.
Good thing there is Utah, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, etc. where you don't have to deal with that. I don't think it is just tourists that don't want anything to do with I-70. I know people that have moved out of there just for that.
post #64 of 87
The night skiing in my driving radius involves
adult night league racing. I'm talking about
New England ... New Hampshire and Massachusetts
only.

What's the case with other resorts/mountains that
have night skiing? Does it always involve night
league adult racing?

At my local hill lots of kids show up in school busses
after school (the dreaded 4:00 rush), buy french fries
and hamburgers at exhorbitant prices, dump their
school books and backpacks all over the lodge (imagine
yourself stepping over these backpacks as you make
your way to the bathroom in the main lodge....), then they
leave around 6:30. By that time the night league race
course is set up, and the adults begin to arrive. They race,
do some free-skiing, then settle into the restaurant for
networking, having a few beers, eating supper, and reviewing
the race results. It's our hill till 10:00ish. The debris left
from the school kids is amazing.

Is this what happens at your hill that is open at night?
post #65 of 87
You couldn't be more right LiquidFeet. I live in PA and spend a lot of time at the hill at night. I totally agree with you and what you say about the school kids. Crazy to think this goes on at other places.
post #66 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
People chose to spend their winters at slokemo instead of Killington over something as trite as pass price? The mind boggles.
You completely miss the point. When ASC took Killington discount with $350 season passes, the crowding drove the high yield $79 day ticket business away. You couldn't get a seat in the base lodge. The parking lots filled early on Saturdays. You felt like you were going to get run down like a dog on the trails. Killington has enough uphill capacity that liftlines weren't often an issue but the rest of the infrastructure including the trails simply couldn't handle the Saturday crush. Unless you were an advanced skier and could hide on the ungroomed natural snow trails and trees, the mountain was awful. As a result, Killington lost a huge amount of intermediate and family business to the ski areas that didn't go discount and get flooded on weekends. Okemo probably picked up a hundred thousand skier visits from it and Killington pretty much lost the metro-Boston market completely. I encounter endless people who roll their eyes about Killington, say it's a zoo, and say they would never go back again. Intermediates are what brings in the money. They buy full price day tickets. They spend a lot of money in the base lodge. It's not "spend their winters" since the daily yield from season pass people is lousy and can't possibly sustain a ski resort. It's the market that skis 10 days per year that generates all the profit. It will take the new owners at Killington years to repair the damage and get those people back.
post #67 of 87
Snow King in Jackson, WY does night skiing.
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownbmx84 View Post
You couldn't be more right LiquidFeet. I live in PA and spend a lot of time at the hill at night. I totally agree with you and what you say about the school kids. Crazy to think this goes on at other places.
Ski Club was a major hightlight of Junior High for me. If we live near a dump when my kids are that age I'll sign them up in a heartbeat, but we wouldn't be leaving at 6. I'll be there with them after the lesson. Come to think of it I usually skipped the lessons and threw books all over the chalet
Seriously though..
I'd think these days most of the kids would be in the terrain park. And, who cares about the lodge anyway? Are you there to hang around the lodge or are you there to ski? Who cares about the lodge? If you get there late hit a drive thru on the way or bring a sammich for pete sake and just go skiing
post #69 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
Ski Club was a major hightlight of Junior High for me. If we live near a dump when my kids are that age I'll sign them up in a heartbeat, but we wouldn't be leaving at 6. I'll be there with them after the lesson. Come to think of it I usually skipped the lessons and threw books all over the chalet
Seriously though..
I'd think these days most of the kids would be in the terrain park. And, who cares about the lodge anyway? Are you there to hang around the lodge or are you there to ski? Who cares about the lodge? If you get there late hit a drive thru on the way or bring a sammich for pete sake and just go skiing
Jr. High ski club is what got me skiing in the first place. We'd be 90% on the hill from about 5pm to 10pm. Bring books Not! We did have three or four regulars who would spend most if not all their time in the lodge. Never got that, really
post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
I'd think these days most of the kids would be in the terrain park. And, who cares about the lodge anyway? Are you there to hang around the lodge or are you there to ski? Who cares about the lodge? If you get there late hit a drive thru on the way or bring a sammich for pete sake and just go skiing
I wasn't complaining, just describing. I go early, ski during the day, watch the kids arrive as I take an afternoon break, chuckle as they awkwardly carry their skis, duffle-bags and backpacks to the lodge, ski along with them on the trails through the "supper" hour, then meet my peers as it gets dark and the kids leave. I race, eat supper with my team, and leave for my 1 1/2 hour drive home around 10:30. It's a long day, but I love all of it.
post #71 of 87
I have a pioneer's pass at Alta. I ski there between 30 to 35 days a year, which ends up at about 18$ a day.I had season passes at Hunter and Killington for three years and used them 4 times. It's easier for trips to Alta 2 times a year.
post #72 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
You cannot be serious.

Places on the EC charge $1000+ for a pass?

Wow. Really. WOW.
So where exactly have you skied on the east coast, Mr. Jer..?
post #73 of 87
I've never skied anywher on the East Coast. Why the hell would I do something like that?

Hey Nighty - why have all your posts in the last two years been indignant replies to me? Don't you think that's kinda weird in a sad sort of way?
post #74 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
I've never skied anywher on the East Coast. Why the hell would I do something like that?

Hey Nighty - why have all your posts in the last two years been indignant replies to me? Don't you think that's kinda weird in a sad sort of way?
I started a thread about East Coast skiing. Basically the premise was; avoid the east coast ski resorts at all costs. Unless you like crowds, ice and hills.
post #75 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
I've never skied anywher on the East Coast. Why the hell would I do something like that?
?
Yep, nothing to ski back there

post #76 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
Yep, nothing to ski back there

Well, yeah - I'm sure there's stuff to ski on the East Coast, but why would I drive 20 hours to ski it when I could drive a bit farther and be in CO or UT?
post #77 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Well, yeah - I'm sure there's stuff to ski on the East Coast, but why would I drive 20 hours to ski it when I could drive a bit farther and be in CO or UT?
WTF are you? I thought you lived in the lift house at Alta of something? Fire up that van!
post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster View Post
Actually, not many New England areas offer night skiing. For example, Stowe and Bolton are the only VT areas with any night skiing, IIRC. I believe some CT and NY areas offer 100% night skiing. PA is definitely full of night skiing hills. I'm not sure if anyone in NH/ME offers it. Anyone know about those states?
Crotched in NH offers night skiing.
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
WTF are you? I thought you lived in the lift house at Alta of something? Fire up that van!
I go back to the lift house this week.
post #80 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
Crotched in NH offers night skiing.
Also Pat's Peak in Henniker...more convenient to the interstate than Crotched, right off 89. Crotched is the slightly better mountain, in my estimation...they're about the same drive for me, although I haven't been to either the last two seasons.
I think that Gunstock (just S of Winnipesaukee) also has lights.
post #81 of 87
yes, Gunstock has night skiing. I can see the lights from my living room. Judging by the conditions in the early afternoon, I'm guessing night skiing sucks.
post #82 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Dog View Post
yes, Gunstock has night skiing. I can see the lights from my living room. Judging by the conditions in the early afternoon, I'm guessing night skiing sucks.
Once you've done night skiing in Noo Jurzy, nothing else sucks.
post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
Yep, nothing to ski back there

That's a nice pic of Whiteface. Have you skied the slides? I've climbed them, in summertime.
post #84 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
Once you've done night skiing in Noo Jurzy, nothing else sucks.
alrighty then. I'll just take your word for that
post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
That's a nice pic of Whiteface. Have you skied the slides? I've climbed them, in summertime.
Had my eye on them for spring corn, but coming from Maine I never could get past Tuckerman's. I skied the downhill course there.
post #86 of 87
Cranmore has night skiing in NH.
Sunday River in ME is initiating some limited
night skiing accessed by their new Chondola this
season.
post #87 of 87
Isn't it even colder at Sunday River at night? I lived in Maine for a while. I'd want the lights to be heat lamps if I skied there after sundown.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion