EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Advice for new skis for my mom
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice for new skis for my mom

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hi guys, I'm new to these forums and from what I've read, it's going to be my new home.

My mom's birthday is coming up and I want to buy her a new pair of skis. She's been skiing for 25+ years, but isn't an aggressive skier. She mainly ski on groomed slopes at Heavenly (not a big fan of moggles or powder). I guess she isn't looking for super fast skis but rather easy skis. She just enjoys cruising down the slopes.

What do you guys recommend?

By the way, price isn't much of an issue, i can get some fat discounts. Oh, and it doesn't have to be 08/09 models; 07/08 will do just fine.

Thanks in advance,

- Cascius
post #2 of 16
The Ski Diva may be a better place to ask this one, but welcome to the forums anyways!
post #3 of 16
JPH, thanks for the nod to Ski Diva! Cascius, I'm not sure if you are a male or female but only females are allowed to post over at Diva. I did a search and found this thread that might get you started with some ideas. You might want to give us some idea of mom's height/weight (i.e. small, average, heavy no need to be exact) as well. If you are a guy I'd be happy to post the question for you over at SD.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by COSkiGirl View Post
JPH, thanks for the nod to Ski Diva!
I'd recommend them any time, they were a big help when I was trying to help my fiancee decide what her next ski should be! (We decided on a 163 Volkl Aura)
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
I'd recommend them any time, they were a big help when I was trying to help my fiancee decide what her next ski should be! (We decided on a 163 Volkl Aura)
Oh, excellent choice! I want some Auras!
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Yes, I am a guy, therefore I guess I won't be able to post on the ski diva forums.

Thanks for all the help, here's a recap and more info:
- Height: 5"3' or so
- Weight: 138
- Age: turning 65
- Experience: Intermediary (25+years but still a bit scared to break a bone)
- Type of slopes she likes: Mainly groomed, blues to double diamonds, rarely any moggles or powder, wide turns, basically cruising down the slopes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

- Cascius
post #7 of 16
Something Mid 120s' in the tip, mid 80's in the waist and 110ish in the tail. Sounds like my mother in law, she loves her Queen Attivas.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascius View Post
Yes, I am a guy, therefore I guess I won't be able to post on the ski diva forums.

Thanks for all the help, here's a recap and more info:
- Height: 5"3' or so
- Weight: 138
- Age: turning 65
- Experience: Intermediary (25+years but still a bit scared to break a bone)
- Type of slopes she likes: Mainly groomed, blues to double diamonds, rarely any moggles or powder, wide turns, basically cruising down the slopes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

- Cascius
194 Dynastar XXL's.
post #9 of 16
You may look at the sponsor deals here on epic. Last I knew Ptex had some Blizzard Eos' available. Nice versatile midfat. Similar to what Philpug suggested.

No worries on asking on SkiDiva. Some of us are here too, eh, COSkigirl?

PTex's deal
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=68121
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the great info everyone.

I was just taking a look at those also: 2008-Volkl-Attiva-Tierra-System-Womens
Dynastar-Exclusive-Legend-Womens


Have you tried those? If so, would you recommend them?

They seem quite nice. I'll do some more research and will place an order tomorrow.

Thanks,

- Cas
post #11 of 16
Both of those are very nice skis. She won't be disappointed in either of them.
The Tierra is a bit more grippy, while the Exclusive Legend is a bit damper. Both great skis.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks, the more i read about them, the more the Dynastars look right for her. They sound perfect for her type of skiing and the price is extremely attractive.

If anyone feels like this would be a bad choice, please let me know (why).

- Cas
post #13 of 16
My mom is 68, and a couple years back, demoed skis to finally find a pair of shaped skis after 35+ years of skiing on pencils. She is a advanced groomer skier who wanted to venture off piste occasionally (she was encouraged by trying out a pair of 173 Powerkarves I used to own). She settled on Head Monster 72s, and is pleased as punch.

Looking at the Head website, apparently they don't make the 72s anymore, but the Monster 76 sounds like the same thing, just wider. For a recreational groomer skier, I expect hey would fit the bill, even if the runs get covered with freshies.

As for length, um, 160s? I don't know really, I think people ski on unnecessarily short skis these days.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascius View Post
Thanks for all the great info everyone.

I was just taking a look at those also: 2008-Volkl-Attiva-Tierra-System-Womens
Dynastar-Exclusive-Legend-Womens


Have you tried those? If so, would you recommend them?

They seem quite nice. I'll do some more research and will place an order tomorrow.

Thanks,

- Cas
A couple things about the links and choice.
First of all, Sierra Jim is a poster here. He is top notch and will definitely treat you well.
Second, when you make your choice, you need to remember that the Volkl's come with bindings and the Dynsatars do not. You can probably get some really good bindings for the Dynsatars for less than the difference in price, but you will need to have them mounted at your local shop. This is not a problem, but its something to consider into the $$$ factor.

Oh, and the head line is awesome, as VA suggested. I'm not sure of any deals out there on them tho.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascius View Post
Thanks for all the great info everyone.

I was just taking a look at those also: 2008-Volkl-Attiva-Tierra-System-Womens
Dynastar-Exclusive-Legend-Womens

Have you tried those? If so, would you recommend them?

They seem quite nice. I'll do some more research and will place an order tomorrow.

Thanks,

- Cas
The Dynastar you mention is a great ski but the length that SJ is too long. He only has the ski in 165, your mom needs the ski in 158.

I suggest you look at the Dynastar Exclusive Carve that SJ has. He has it in some shorter lengths and it is a better groomer ski.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREKCHICK View Post

Oh, and the head line is awesome, as VA suggested. I'm not sure of any deals out there on them tho.
Seek and ye shall find.

A screaming deal on Monster 72s, that is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Advice for new skis for my mom