EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What happened to Rossignol?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What happened to Rossignol?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Two of the early wider “all mountain” skis were the K2 Recon and its predecessor and the Rossignol Bandit series (76mm-78mm wide). The Recon is still going strong.
Up until two years ago the Rossi B series was highly rated by magazines and RealSkiers. Two years ago most models were downgraded by RealSkiers. Last year Rossi changed graphics and were not to be found in most magazines.
The Rossi catalog copy seemed to be targeting the same customer and the same terrain but the reviewers evidently did not like what they were selling. This year the old Bandit line seems to have gone away completely.
Did the company change the ski or did the market change and move away from what Rossi was selling?
post #2 of 10
The B2 became almost a badge of gaperness in Europe at least. Then they changed them for width related names now they've become something else but they still exist.

Other companies overtook them with easy skiing versatile skis too e.g. Scott.
post #3 of 10
I think part of it is that they took the Bandit name and ran too far with it. Bringing it down into big box store skis and rental shops. It got to where it was hard to tell what you were getting. Plus, nobody wants to spend a grand on their new gear and then see gapers rolling out of the rental shop with the "same" ski.
post #4 of 10
I think they became known as a dead noodle that didn't do anything well. They appealed to some mass market that had no interest in a performance ski. This probably worked in terms of selling a lot of these not so demanding skis to people wanting to cruise around on groomers but eventually it came to hurt the Rosi brand. The upper end of the market no longer took the company seriously for freeride or off-piste skiing. This year seems to be their attempt to get back in the game no? Apparently all their new skis have wood cores as well...did I read that right? They also have the funky new graphics in their line of "seven sins"...I'm curious to see how they do.
post #5 of 10
K2 spent some time "up scaling" the Recon, as pointed out to me by Kneale at Boyne last year. The Recon he is on is not the same Recon he was on a couple years ago.

The B Series at Rossi, well, they did what epic said, which does not enhance its marketability nor its technology advancement.
post #6 of 10
How it seemed in the east, just my opinion.

Rossi aimed at the ability level of most of their upper level customers instead of making skis for the 3 percent who skied better.

I remember the Bandit as a nice lower intermediate ski, friendly and easy with a decent amount of performance for that level of skier. It's speed limit was a little too low and it was a little too soft for fast skiing, so it lost the real high performance skiers, and thus also the posers who would buy the same high-performance equipment as the people who could use it.

Salomon did a similar thing, but Salomon also had some high performance skis in their line that worked very well. Let's see what Rossi had in the higher levels.

VS Oversize - a great ski, Fischer WC SC was just better that's all. The VS had little too much err on the forgiveness side, slightly softer.

VX Oversize - went for the middle of the road skier. It worked well enough for just about any skier to do well on but not well enough to excel. It did not have as much torsional rigidity for example to give the same edge grip as a Head SS Speed or Atomic SX11. The sacrificed super torsional rigidity in order to be forgiving enough for skiers of lesser skill or who did not favour carving.
post #7 of 10
I can tell you what happened to the kids Bandit, it's now called the Phantom and has a brown top color with subdued graphics. It's a hot ski for the kid mogul skiers, pretty much what they all want.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveturner View Post
Two of the early wider “all mountain” skis were the K2 Recon and its predecessor and the Rossignol Bandit series (76mm-78mm wide). The Recon is still going strong.
Up until two years ago the Rossi B series was highly rated by magazines and RealSkiers. Two years ago most models were downgraded by RealSkiers. Last year Rossi changed graphics and were not to be found in most magazines.
The Rossi catalog copy seemed to be targeting the same customer and the same terrain but the reviewers evidently did not like what they were selling. This year the old Bandit line seems to have gone away completely.
Did the company change the ski or did the market change and move away from what Rossi was selling?

Huh?

The bandit series has expanded over the years to be 74-94mm (104 if you count the squads). Sure, they've changed graphics, but they haven't cheapened the construction of the skis.

Magazines and Realskiers are as fickle and non fact based as you can get. Have you skied the skis over the years? Magazines don't hype the classics like legend pros every single year, its old news.


I'm not aware of whats going on with them this year though. Is rossi scrapping the line? Squads included?
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob View Post
The B2 became almost a badge of gaperness in Europe at least.
Really? I had a pair (they're still mounted for touring). I'll have to tell Armin Fischer at Alagna that he was guiding on a gaper ski too.
post #10 of 10
Haha my first skis were Bandits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDork View Post
I can tell you what happened to the kids Bandit, it's now called the Phantom and has a brown top color with subdued graphics. It's a hot ski for the kid mogul skiers, pretty much what they all want.
Ya, the most popular Bandit was the B2, which is most like the Phantom SC 80. It has a bit of a wider waist but the shape is virtually the same.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What happened to Rossignol?