New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Percentage of riders on opening day

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Has anyone else noticed that the percentage of riders on opening day/early or late season appears to be much higher than during the regular season?

I've noticed "eyeball" numbers like 50% instead of the usual 30%. Eyeball meaning - just looking at the slopes and guesstimating.
post #2 of 16
It does seem like there are more snowboarders in the early and late season. particularly the early season. Maybe because it's easier to have fun on limiited terrain on a snowboard. for example, i notice more snowboarders jumping of little bumps on the side of the trails and stuff.
post #3 of 16
I don't know how true it is these days but historically speaking boarders have been more willing to go up in early season, limited snow conditions and stick it out longer. Maybe because we actually love our sport instead of worrying about what style someone else chooses to go down the slope on. This stat saved some resorts butts in the early 90's in the Tahoe area. I haven't read anything about it recently and at least in Colorado the numbers seem to be fairly even early season. Your observation might be a very correct one Rusty.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
I don't know how true it is these days but historically speaking boarders have been more willing to go up in early season, limited snow conditions and stick it out longer. Maybe because we actually love our sport instead of worrying about what style someone else chooses to go down the slope on. This stat saved some resorts butts in the early 90's in the Tahoe area. I haven't read anything about it recently and at least in Colorado the numbers seem to be fairly even early season. Your observation might be a very correct one Rusty.

Love your sport more than a skier?

My thoughts based on my observations, are that boarders, or a great many of them, are younger, carefree, did not pay for their gear, destroy their boards, go the the terrain parks, grind those bases on all sorts of hard metal objects and really couldnt care less if the trail is strewn with gravel, grass, and what not. So if the hill is open theyll be there no matter what.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
Love your sport more than a skier?
Yep, I haven't seen any snowboarders start the Skier vs Boarder threads. We don't care, we love what we do and don't need to worry about how others get down the hill. I am happy to share turns with anyone, even snowbladers, though they kind of suck in powder which is about all I ride.
post #6 of 16
Oh and btw, your observations are fairly spot on.
post #7 of 16
post #8 of 16
The base of my son's board is scary to look at. I'd never ski in the places he's been boarding. The last thing I'd ever do is slide my skis down any rails or such. I don't like patching bases. My observation is also that the kids don't care, and they'll slide their gear anyplace where they can get it to keep sliding, no matter how abrasive the surface is, as long as it is more slippery than abrasive. I think they'll board in conditions that skiers hesitate to take their "rock skis" into.

It is what it is. The early/late boarders provide some extra bucks to the resorts to keep them solvent, while the skiers wait until conditions get better. I remember skiing in the '70's on natural snow at Loveland in late October with my rock skis and not sustaining all that much damage. Harder to do that these days.
post #9 of 16
Keep in mind rails don't jack up your base much at all. You will definitely not have to patch a base because of sliding a funbox (heh), or rail. Rocks, stumps, and such are the culprits that do the damage. My "rock boards" are complete disasters with out a doubt.


But hey that is what they are for. Hitting rocks...
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Keep in mind rails don't jack up your base much at all. You will definitely not have to patch a base because of sliding a funbox (heh), or rail. Rocks, stumps, and such are the culprits that do the damage. My "rock boards" are complete disasters with out a doubt.


But hey that is what they are for. Hitting rocks...
ouch I'm glad my board doesn't like that!
post #11 of 16
Sometimes core shots are unavoidable. I was at Big Sky two seasons ago, granted it was one of the worst winters ever and there was no snow, and I took a core shot going down a groomer. It is what it is.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by therusty View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the percentage of riders on opening day/early or late season appears to be much higher than during the regular season?

I've noticed "eyeball" numbers like 50% instead of the usual 30%. Eyeball meaning - just looking at the slopes and guesstimating.
I have noticed the same thing consistently over the years during early season.

My theory is that Snowboarders spend the fall getting stoked on board porn, go out on the first day & hurt themselves hucking. The other theory is that they just run out of money & can't afford to go anymore.

JF
post #13 of 16
Skipping class to ride WROD is easier than taking a sick day or asking for vacations to do it. What's the biggest age demographic for snowboarders? 15-25? (I'm just guessing). I know that if I'd still be going to school somewhere close to where there is a WROD I'd skip a day of class (or many) to go ski/ride.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
But hey that is what they are for. Hitting rocks...

wow thats pretty amazing killclimbz! i like your style
post #15 of 16
Yeah, early and late season is prime snowboarder territory.
I hit up Vail and Loveland last year, ran into like 10 boarders; most of them either learning or not really that into it. Skiers were everywhere. Nothing against it, but it did kind of scare me, seeing as when I started boarding almost 4 years ago everytime I managed to get to a hill there was at least 30% boarders, usually closer to 50. Now on the mountain I rarely see more then 20-25.
post #16 of 16
I gotta agree with RR. I think there are more boarders early and late for 2 reasons. 1) I perceive the majority to be younger people, say less thatn 25. Snowboarding or free ride skiing is more trendy now. So the kids get mom or dad to get them their gear and they go out early on, or late in the year because the more trashed your stuff is, the cooler you are. 2) because they are younger- school aged, they have more time to get out there... no problems like work to get in the way. OK one more 3) Season passes and tickets are cheaper for younger people (kids and teens).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: