EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Thanks, everyone--the verdict on Whistler is NO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thanks, everyone--the verdict on Whistler is NO

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Wow, what a response! Thanks to everyone who checked in with their experiences and stories.

Amazing, really, how consistent is all was. It seems eveyone agrees that: a) In perfect conditions, Whistler could be the best place you'll ever skiied; b) most people haven't expereinced it as such, and chances of that happening in February or any time seem to be way less than 50-50; c) the village is great but pricey; d) we're in the throes of 2010 Olympic hype and all these obstacles are magnified; and e) I should be going to Jackson, where I can still get ~ $700-800 air and ~ $500 for seven nights in town.

I hate to stiff my trip leader friend, since he invited me on last year's Jackson trip. (Though I arranged the Bob Peters connection, which was the highlight of our trip, if not Bob's.)

Jackson it is. My next question comes soon.
post #2 of 14
It never ceases to amaze me how ppl love to bash whistler. I guess when it's #1, everyone like to find fault with it. Maybe it was ranked #99, it'll get some respect. I'd admit, I'm biased, but this coming season is going to be a repeat of the record season we had last year. All signs are seem to be pointing that way. Cooler than normal temps throughout this year.
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcs33444 View Post
Amazing, really, how consistent is all was. It seems eveyone agrees that: a) In perfect conditions, Whistler could be the best place you'll ever skiied; b) most people haven't expereinced it as such, and chances of that happening in February or any time seem to be way less than 50-50; c) the village is great but pricey; d) we're in the throes of 2010 Olympic hype and all these obstacles are magnified; and e) I should be going to Jackson, where I can still get ~ $700-800 air and ~ $500 for seven nights in town.
Good luck with Jackson next year; if you're there the end of January, I may run into you!

As for Whistler, you should hit it some time. I've probably skied there about 25 days over a period of 6 years and found: a) perfect conditions for about 5-6 of them at the end of January; b) great conditions about 5-6 more times, and good conditions for all but 5-6 days (got skunked with rain on one trip); c) the village isn't really any pricier than other marquee places; and d) it would have been about $400 cheaper for me to hit Whistler from the West Coast than Jackson with a similar lodging level and proximity.
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
I'd admit, I'm biased, but this coming season is going to be a repeat of the record season we had last year. All signs are seem to be pointing that way. Cooler than normal temps throughout this year.
If that means we'll have a season even approaching last year, then I hope you are 100% correct.
post #5 of 14
If it's a good year, Whistler tends to be good. Last February was pretty good - I spent a week skiing, and it snowed during the night and was bluebird for most of the week, with the occasional snowstorm during the daytime. Visibility was awesome.

True, it's fairly expensive but the terrain there is to be seen to be believed. You won't find anything else like it in North America for sheer variety and quality.

http://flickr.com/photos/24042511@N0...7603983241785/ Some pictures of the trip in February (11-19, if I got my dates right)!
post #6 of 14
I think a lot of the supposed Whistler bashing comes on account of most people having only a week or two long visit. If you live nearby, it's easy to get only the good days, and if you skip a day that's a little wetter, no big deal. If you get 1 or 2 days out of 5 that's rainy, it's going to leave a bad impression.

There's no denying that Whistler has the most impressive collection of terrain on the continent, and while prices may be high, they're no worse than any other destination resort. Unfortunately, while you can get great snow base that stays for a long while, it's a costal mountain, and even in the best years you get some rain, and for people who get a week's vacation, that risk can weigh heavily in their decision, vs. someone who gets to ski there more often.
post #7 of 14
Moving to Resorts.

Personally, I will get to Whistler, mid winter, but not until the dollar gets better.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how ppl love to bash whistler. I guess when it's #1, everyone like to find fault with it. Maybe it was ranked #99, it'll get some respect. I'd admit, I'm biased, but this coming season is going to be a repeat of the record season we had last year. All signs are seem to be pointing that way. Cooler than normal temps throughout this year.
I know what you mean. It's number one, then why do people bash the place. I lived there for a year a while ago. Lower part of the mt is poor skiing due to the quality of the snow. It rains and clouds-in, making the visibility bad which is a problem above the tree line, which is where all the good skiing is located.

So I ask myself, where would I rather go: SLC or W/B, Aspen or W/B, Jackson Hole or W/B. W/B comes in second or last according to how you see things. I see the interior as my next trip to Canada. It's all in what you are looking for.

Killington is similar. It's always ranked number one for east coast resorts and some would agree.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how ppl love to bash whistler. I guess when it's #1, everyone like to find fault with it. Maybe it was ranked #99, it'll get some respect. I'd admit, I'm biased, but this coming season is going to be a repeat of the record season we had last year. All signs are seem to be pointing that way. Cooler than normal temps throughout this year.
fyi, one ski rag indicates that Deer Valley is #1. Maybe this year......
post #10 of 14

Bogus

I am not going to bad mouth utah or JH. I visit utah every year and JH at least every other year.

I visit Whistler every year. Yes - due to exchange rate or Olympics - costs have gone up. Yes - it does rain at the base some times.

But if you ever want to experience BIG MOUNTAIN, vast expanse - EUROPEAN STYLE - skiing - there is NO place like WB.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
c) the village is great but pricey; d) we're in the throes of 2010 Olympic hype and all these obstacles are magnified;
Ahh, I just replied to your other thread, too late I guess. It's mystifying to me why everyone thinks it's so pricey--I've been doing tons of pricing on the big CO ski resorts and Whistler compares quite favorably! But I don't blame you for bagging the package trip; that was way more expensive than it should have been.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
I am not going to bad mouth utah or JH. I visit utah every year and JH at least every other year.

I visit Whistler every year. Yes - due to exchange rate or Olympics - costs have gone up. Yes - it does rain at the base some times.

But if you ever want to experience BIG MOUNTAIN, vast expanse - EUROPEAN STYLE - skiing - there is NO place like WB.
I'm also state side until/if the dollar gets better. But if I want to experience European style skiing I go to Europe.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
I'm also state side until/if the dollar gets better. But if I want to experience European style skiing I go to Europe.
As someone with a few hundred days (over two decades) skied in the Alps, I agree.

That said, I'm stoked for our (first) trip to Whistler this year...
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
I'm also state side until/if the dollar gets better. But if I want to experience European style skiing I go to Europe.
With the dollar at 0.68 per Euro and 1.05 per CAN $ you probably can get that experience much cheaper at Whistler. Of course, that's easy for me to say. It costs me one tank of gas in my little car to get there and back, right now that's about $38. I'm just glad to have world class skiing in my back yard. The cost of flying and staying are what have kept me from skiing outside the PNW. Maybe someday.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Thanks, everyone--the verdict on Whistler is NO