or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Pre-Season Workouts: What do you do and When do you start?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pre-Season Workouts: What do you do and When do you start?

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
With the start of the season only 3 months away I am starting to think about getting into skiing shape. Aside from the cross-training and other sports that we all do to stay fit (running, hiking, biking, swimming, etc. etc.) Do you do any skiing specific exercising to get ready for the season? If so what do you do, and when do you start? I plan on putting more time and effort into getting into shape before this season than I have in the past, wouldn't it feel great to have March bump skiing legs in the beginning of December?!?
post #2 of 36
swiming biking and running are great, also do wall sits a few times a day
post #3 of 36
At the end of every season I say to myself "damn if only I had prepared my legs better in the off season...I will this year". Never happens. That being said, for a little over a month I have been back in the gym working out hard and heavy and doing 1-1.5hrs of cardio (bike or elliptical) and 1 hr of weight training. I hope to be squatting heavy by October (still have some back weakness), right now I am just using machines for leg training. So for this year at least I am on track. I think you need at least 3mo to dramatically help your fitness, but its never too late to get something in.
post #4 of 36
You've inspired me. I'm going to hike up to Ruth Glacier in the morning. 4 miles each way, and I should be good for 2 or 3 runs at 1000' each.

I'll send a postcard.
post #5 of 36
I have a very active lifestyle, pretty much keeps me in shape for skiing, but I'll still find muscles that hadn't been used, the first time I hit the slopes.
post #6 of 36
Lots of lunges, and much to my dislike, squats. Maybe a little bit of Wii Skiing here and there.
post #7 of 36
Just got the Wii fit last week, still figuring it out. So far my favorite game is the boxing (work up a sweat!)...the skiing feels a little weird, the board is too responsive.
post #8 of 36
Biking and hiking, always seem to be much stronger with the biking, and that's building tele legs.
post #9 of 36
I've spent the last 4 months cycling hard, added swimming the beginning of July and doing some resistance band work along with core strengthening. To the tune of 6-12 hours a week depending on what long rides I'm getting in. Starting next week I'll be adding weight training and possibly some elliptical if my foot injury allows. Through the winter I will maintain a slightly lower level of off mountain work during the week using my bike on a trainer, spinning classes with my triathlon coach, weights, core and swimming.
post #10 of 36
I'm pretty active during the warmer months focusing on long distance triathlons (half iron: 1.2mile swim, 56 bike, 13.1 run), training an average of about 14 hours a week, so my endurance is good throughout the year. I do change my weight training routine late in the year to build ski specific muscles and do a lot more hiking in the fall. I'm still sore after the first few times I ski though...
post #11 of 36
Wearing 5 pound ankle weights most of the day at work (under long pants barely noticiable), running stairs with them on, riding skateboards around-at over 40 get some odd looks, but WTF right?
Dragging a wagon full of chairs, umbrellas surfboard/boogieboards, other family junk and coolers to the beach and back from the car and SURFING!!! weekends.
Of all that I think just wearing the ankle weights all day best prepares me for skiing. Skateboarding would be next-it's extremely good for the quads.
post #12 of 36
Been working out as usual. But added standing on a balance board in a tuck holding 10# dumbell in each hand. Hold it for 1 min. BURN. Again holding weights straight out and squatting down on the BB.

Almost time to break out the roller blades.
post #13 of 36
p90x for me this year. Down around 25 pounds, BF under 10% so far! Dunno how skiing will work out yet

I plan on another round (90 days) then do the plyo ski-type workouts from the mags and cardio until I hit things heavy in January.
post #14 of 36
I usually start in January. By March I'm starting to get in shape. Then its' all over and I have a beer. :-(
post #15 of 36
I've been drinking heavily since May. With SEC football just around the corner I should peak right around Thanksgiving-1st of Decemberish so I should be at the top of my game by the time I make my first turns of the season.
post #16 of 36
I start road cycling in late March or early April and keep going into late October. Then I break out the hiking boots until the lifts start turning. I have a bosu ball that I do some core-workouts on throughout the year.

Despite all that, I find various leg muscles that I didn't know I had when ski season starts up!
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by teledave View Post
I've been drinking heavily since May. With SEC football just around the corner I should peak right around Thanksgiving-1st of Decemberish so I should be at the top of my game by the time I make my first turns of the season.
LOL! Nice plan. I like it.
post #18 of 36
Excellent teledave - sounds like the perfect plan for a party man!
post #19 of 36
Pre-season....spend way too many hours online reading and typing about skiing.
post #20 of 36
I start getting in shape the day after ski season ends...well sort of.

Biking and hiking up the buttes in town is great exercise. Lots of road biking in Sept and Oct usually does the trick.

New thread idea:

It is super easy to stay in shape in Sept/Oct, but how do you stay in shape in Nov when there is little or no skiing and the weather is crappy?
post #21 of 36
What is this starting you refer to? You should never stop.

When there isn't snow on the ground, mountain biking is pretty good training for skiing. You get that balance/core strength, endurance, plus power strength, basically the same mix you use skiing.
post #22 of 36
I try to hit the gym for an hour 3 to 5 five times a week all year round. About this time of year I'll work in some more leg exercise like squats, lunges and the occasional wall sit. Also taking the eight flights of stairs up to my job several times daily helps. That being said, I'm 42, sit on my butt all day at work and like to eat. Let's just say peak fitness is a journey not a destination.

Over the last few years the biggest help to my skiing has been balance training. Curls and other exercises while standing on a red inflatable disk or half ball. Or my favorite, the bongo board. We bought one for the kids and I was afraid to get on it but after getting thrown a few times found it's not so hard. Try riding that for five minutes at a time. Great quad burn and helps your balance like crazy. If that gets too easy try it with your eyes closed.
post #23 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
I have a very active lifestyle, pretty much keeps me in shape for skiing, but I'll still find muscles that hadn't been used, the first time I hit the slopes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
...Despite all that, I find various leg muscles that I didn't know I had when ski season starts up!
Me too, this is exactly the problem I'm trying to solve!


Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGOT View Post
What is this starting you refer to? You should never stop. When there isn't snow on the ground, mountain biking is pretty good training for skiing. You get that balance/core strength, endurance, plus power strength, basically the same mix you use skiing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
...Aside from the cross-training and other sports that we all do to stay fit (running, hiking, biking, swimming, etc. etc.) Do you do any skiing specific exercising to get ready for the season? If so what do you do, and when do you start?
Seems to me like it was pretty self-explanatory.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer256 View Post
Been working out as usual. But added standing on a balance board in a tuck holding 10# dumbell in each hand. Hold it for 1 min. BURN. Again holding weights straight out and squatting down on the BB.

Almost time to break out the roller blades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
...I do change my weight training routine late in the year to build ski specific muscles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUBozangelas View Post
Lots of lunges, and much to my dislike, squats. Maybe a little bit of Wii Skiing here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
...for a little over a month I have been back in the gym working out hard and heavy and doing 1-1.5hrs of cardio (bike or elliptical) and 1 hr of weight training. I hope to be squatting heavy by October...
These guys understood.
post #24 of 36
Thread Starter 
I will now humbly accept the award for most quotes in a reply... Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
post #25 of 36
Here's my plyo leg workout from beachbody I'm planning (Tony recommended it - of course it's his video .

P90 Master Series Plyo Legs An explosive lower-body workout with Tony's breakthrough plyometric moves to strengthen, sculpt, and shape your legs, hips, and glutes. (49 minutes)

Also supplement some from the mags that looks interesting. Plyo from Ski mag for 4 weeks helped last year for sure with my endurance, altitude and powder performance. Hopefully a 25 pound weight loss will help with extending my days a bit more this year - got tanked about 2 oclock most days last year!
post #26 of 36
I've taken -again- to swim (once a week), run or bike 2/3 times a week, walk as much as possible during the day, every time I have to move/go somewhere, unless too far.
I know, that's not what you asked, the reply to your question, from me, is :
A more specific cross training like skating/skating downhill would be advisable but, If doc will allow me, I plan to attend ski gym classes starting September/October. That's how much specific I plan/hope to go.
post #27 of 36
tabata squats if your pressed for time ,4 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDh1Cspl0jI
post #28 of 36
just watching them my HR is up
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post
just watching them my HR is up
post #30 of 36
We did these along with 8 rounds each of pullups,pushups and sit ups!

T
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Pre-Season Workouts: What do you do and When do you start?