New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Planning for upcoming season

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
For the past 6-7 years we've planned a late Dec - early Jan trip to Colorado/Utah, and have had tons of snow.

I'm considering the same timeframe for the upcoming season, but wonder about the typical early January snow conditions for either Schweitzer and/or Big Mountain. Yes ... I realize it boils down to wait and see on the conditions, but "typically" do the local Bears get plenty of slope time at these places in early January?

Been to Big Mtn a couple of times and had great fun. I don't want to ruin a good thaanng, but some variety here might be nice. Appreciate the feedback ...
post #2 of 14

Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorm57 View Post
For the past 6-7 years we've planned a late Dec - early Jan trip to Colorado/Utah, and have had tons of snow.

I'm considering the same timeframe for the upcoming season, but wonder about the typical early January snow conditions for either Schweitzer and/or Big Mountain. Yes ... I realize it boils down to wait and see on the conditions, but "typically" do the local Bears get plenty of slope time at these places in early January?

Been to Big Mtn a couple of times and had great fun. I don't want to ruin a good thaanng, but some variety here might be nice. Appreciate the feedback ...
Dorm57. No. Idaho 4 out of last 5 years had good snow in January. Last year January was great powder skiing all month. Sibhusky lives in Whitefish and can answer your questions on Whitefish Mt.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks Pete ... I knew I could count on some help here from you, Sib or VA. If I get out that way in January, I'd love to make some turns with you guys ... and definitely share a cool one or 2
post #4 of 14

Trip West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorm57 View Post
Thanks Pete ... I knew I could count on some help here from you, Sib or VA. If I get out that way in January, I'd love to make some turns with you guys ... and definitely share a cool one or 2

Absolutely, any help I can render let me know. If you stayed in Sandpoint and skied Schweitzer you would be: 35 min from 49 Degrees North (great one day stop for the glades), 1hr 30 min to silver (good and varied off piste and powder l day or 2-happy to guide). Dorm 57, plus you can get an accurate snow report from me. Moosedrool Beer is really good too.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
Absolutely, any help I can render let me know. If you stayed in Sandpoint and skied Schweitzer you would be: 35 min from 49 Degrees North (great one day stop for the glades), 1hr 30 min to silver (good and varied off piste and powder l day or 2-happy to guide). Dorm 57, plus you can get an accurate snow report from me. Moosedrool Beer is really good too.
Holy Moly Pete! How fast do you drive?

Going up through Usk up Flowery Trail Rd it is about 55 miles from Sandpoint to 49 Degrees North so plan a little more time.

Schweitzer is a fun mountain and Pete is a really good guide for Silver. I still buy a pass at Mt. Spokane, but enjoy skiing all of them. If you get out this way drop a line and maybe I'd join you (and Pete) for a day.
post #6 of 14
Snow is usually as good as it is going to get in Jan, Dec is hit or miss.
Ski Merlin is right it's about an hour+ to get to 49N from Sandpoint add 30 if you're on Mtn, and 2 hour in Winter to Silver from Schweitzer.

Better to go hit Red Mtn if you're up this way.

Pete's a good guide for Silver and he'll even let you ski first on a Powder Day.

Flying into Spokane gives a nice loop trip with 49N to Red over to Schweitzer with or without stop at WhiteH2O down to Silver and on back to Spokane.

More ski areas you can hit depending on your time/money constraints. ie bigger loop with Turner, Fernie, Whitefish even ole Snowbowl in Missoula.
post #7 of 14
Sorry for the delay. As it happens, when this was posted on 7/30 I broke my knee cap, so PC time has been limited by the fact that my PC is on the second floor.

January is NORMALLY our coldest time of year, with several days of below zero temps.

Historically, December and January are supposed to be the months with the most snow, so January and February should have the most coverage. Looking back I also see days with severe fog, however. As to EARLY January compared to late, I see far more references in my notes to off-piste skiing as the month goes on. That might be ME, however.

Bottom line, if you're talking about after the Christmas crowds leave, then early January should be cold, some fog, with conditions starting to improve each day. I'd postpone until late January if you could, but the timing should be fine.
post #8 of 14

Trip

[quote=sibhusky;946758]Sorry for the delay. As it happens, when this was posted on 7/30 I broke my knee cap, so PC time has been limited by the fact that my PC is on the second floor.

OK Betty what did you do this time? Hows the knee? You going to be able to ski this year? Hope you're ok. If you can't ski on the bad knee - you can always turn just one direction on the good knee. Well heck they call it Big Mt. don't they (used to)?

Seriously, hope you're ok. My best Pete
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
As it turns out I've made plans to go to Tahoe in mid-January instead.

That being said ... with plane tickets being what they cost now, I'm looking real hard at planning a 2-week trip same late Jan-early Feb time frame for 2010, and spending a week at Schweitzer and the other at Big Mtn. For the week at Schweitzer I'd plan to stay in Hope, Id ... the resort is about 25-miles from Schweitzer.

Thanks for the great local feedback on these places. I do remember the fog up at Big Mtn, but along with that I remember some crystal clear times where you could see Flathead lake for miles and miles, along with some awesome temperature inversions as well.

And Pete ... I'm well versed on the Moose Drool - still have my Moose Drool tee shirt.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorm57 View Post
As it turns out I've made plans to go to Tahoe in mid-January instead.

That being said ... with plane tickets being what they cost now, I'm looking real hard at planning a 2-week trip same late Jan-early Feb time frame for 2010, and spending a week at Schweitzer and the other at Big Mtn. For the week at Schweitzer I'd plan to stay in Hope, Id ... the resort is about 25-miles from Schweitzer.

Thanks for the great local feedback on these places. I do remember the fog up at Big Mtn, but along with that I remember some crystal clear times where you could see Flathead lake for miles and miles, along with some awesome temperature inversions as well.

And Pete ... I'm well versed on the Moose Drool - still have my Moose Drool tee shirt.
A Carolinian that knows about Moose Drool - now that is something. Life amazes me.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post
Sorry for the delay. As it happens, when this was posted on 7/30 I broke my knee cap, so PC time has been limited by the fact that my PC is on the second floor.
OK Betty what did you do this time? Hows the knee? You going to be able to ski this year? Hope you're ok. If you can't ski on the bad knee - you can always turn just one direction on the good knee. Well heck they call it Big Mt. don't they (used to)?

Seriously, hope you're ok. My best Pete
I wish it sounded like there was some drama, but this time I was just trying to feed the dogs and tripped, falling on my knee on concrete. If there was something you wanted to do to your knee that was not (supposedly) going to interfere with skiing the rest of your life, this is it. I had to get pins put in (again...I can't wait for the next plane trip...), but am able to hobble around with crutches in my "immobiliser" (splint running from crotch to ankle). Unfortunately, I am not supposed to use my quad because it's attached to the ankle and I noticed that it is withering away. I guess my left turns won't be stronger than my right turns this winter. Right now the only exercises I can do are those laying on my stomach and lifting up my lower leg. This is amazingly difficult and sometimes I overdo it and skip a couple days, not good. I should get my splint off and start the recovery stuff around the end of September. Given Big Mtn's opening not happening until December, I think I'll have enough time to get ready.
post #12 of 14

Hijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post
I wish it sounded like there was some drama, but this time I was just trying to feed the dogs and tripped, falling on my knee on concrete. If there was something you wanted to do to your knee that was not (supposedly) going to interfere with skiing the rest of your life, this is it. I had to get pins put in (again...I can't wait for the next plane trip...), but am able to hobble around with crutches in my "immobiliser" (splint running from crotch to ankle). Unfortunately, I am not supposed to use my quad because it's attached to the ankle and I noticed that it is withering away. I guess my left turns won't be stronger than my right turns this winter. Right now the only exercises I can do are those laying on my stomach and lifting up my lower leg. This is amazingly difficult and sometimes I overdo it and skip a couple days, not good. I should get my splint off and start the recovery stuff around the end of September. Given Big Mtn's opening not happening until December, I think I'll have enough time to get ready.
Wow, that sounds terrible. How about being more careful young lady so the 3 hex doesn't get another extremity. Hope you're going to be able to rehab ok. Sounds like it is not going to be easy but we've been around long enough to know nothing is easy. Good luck and take your time, skiing in January or even Feb is better than screwing up the rehab and not skiing at all.

Good luck, sincerely Pete
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
Wow, that sounds terrible. How about being more careful young lady so the 3 hex doesn't get another extremity.
I'm hoping the wrists count as two. After all, there were two of them.
post #14 of 14
[quote=Dorm57;946887] For the week at Schweitzer I'd plan to stay in Hope, Id ... the resort is about 25-miles from Schweitzer.

Hope will put you an hour of drive time from the parking lot at Schweitzer. It takes half an hour from the town of Sandpoint to drive up the hill. If ski conditions are good the roads are usually not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home