EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Volkl Tigersharks returning for 08/09 ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Volkl Tigersharks returning for 08/09 ?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I had skied the Tigershark 10 last year. I had demo-ed them for an entire day, and was impressed. A local ski shop now has them on sale pre-season. One of the shop owners has told me, that as far as he knows, Volkl is discontinuing the Tigershark line. I am curious if this may be true, as I am considering a purchase of the Tigershark 10.
post #2 of 29
I work in a large ski shop in the Northeast and Volkl has historically been our best selling brand. The Tigershark did not sell well at all, even Volkl loyalists were skeptical off the switch models - "it sounds like a can of screws when you lightly tap it on the floor" commented one guy. The icing on the cake was the MADE IN CHINA sticker on the Gotamas, that even made me cringe. K2 should have just left good enough alone!
post #3 of 29
I have an 08/09 volkl dealer workbook in front of me now. Tigersharks are all there 12, 10 and 8 foot. any more qestions
post #4 of 29
Yep, the Tigershark series are making a return for the 2009 lineup:
http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/ski/2009/volkl/
post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
I work in a large ski shop in the Northeast and Volkl has historically been our best selling brand. The Tigershark did not sell well at all, even Volkl loyalists were skeptical off the switch models - "it sounds like a can of screws when you lightly tap it on the floor" commented one guy. The icing on the cake was the MADE IN CHINA sticker on the Gotamas, that even made me cringe. K2 should have just left good enough alone!

The Tigershark said "Made in Germany" on the side. I don't understand the K2 reference you made. Does K2 now own Volkl?
post #6 of 29
I really hope they ditch the Switch concept or make it avail on all models. I love my 12ft w/o the switch, actually happy I didn't get the switch. Metallic black is pretty sweet.

As for sales, they didn't do good mainly due to the variation in models. the 10ft and 12ft are too close cut size, and the switch caused controversy in what flex was better for what. For me the one flex model does fine. I expect 09 sales to be worse with the new 8ft.
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
The Tigershark said "Made in Germany" on the side. I don't understand the K2 reference you made. Does K2 now own Volkl?
Only some models are made in China (well, a few more now with K2), but the higher end laminate models and cap skis (AC40, AC30, Tigersharks, Racetigers, etc) are still made in Germany.

Jarden group (K2) purchased Volkl a few years back, so yes, K2 owns Volkl. Management is still separate, unlike some of the K2 branches which are simply re-branded K2 skis.
post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
I really hope they ditch the Switch concept or make it avail on all models. I love my 12ft w/o the switch, actually happy I didn't get the switch. Metallic black is pretty sweet.

As for sales, they didn't do good mainly due to the variation in models. the 10ft and 12ft are too close cut size, and the switch caused controversy in what flex was better for what. For me the one flex model does fine. I expect 09 sales to be worse with the new 8ft.
I did not get to ski the 12ft last year. How does it compare to the 10ft I did ski? The dealer near me has them both on sale for the same price. I have been shopping around for these on the internet since last season and most dealers have approximately a $200 premium on the 10ft. This leads me to believe (possibly incorrectly) that the 10ft was more in demand than the 12ft.
post #9 of 29
Volkl's biggest downfall was the switch.

I was a Volkl die-hard for years. No more. They may be making more money as a producer, but they've lost their die-hards.

Oh well... There are boutique brands and smaller companies now willing to fill the niche they left. Quite a few companies, actually, now offer what Volkl used to represent.

Tigershark... WTF?
post #10 of 29
Dynastar contact 4x4.. Rips the tigershark and I have the 10ft w/switch.. I personally like the switch on, more rebound but the 4x4, look out....
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SDSKIER View Post
Dynastar contact 4x4.. Rips the tigershark and I have the 10ft w/switch.. I personally like the switch on, more rebound but the 4x4, look out....
I tend to agree.....When I tested the Contact 4x4 in March in rock hard conditions it......ripped. Although so does the Tigershark so in this case it really comes down to what you personal preference is.

As for the Tigershark's; yes they will return and Volkl is also introducing a new ski with powerswitch technology, the Grizzly(131-89-114).
post #12 of 29
I hear if your under 200lbs don't even think about the Grizzly, it will eat you up.. Big and burly ski for heavyweights.. Thoughts?
post #13 of 29
I rode the Grizzly this weekend and yes indeed it is a very manly ski. Me: 6' 230 and I couldn't tame it on the power setting. However if you have the pedigree you could really do some amazing skiing on those boards. Switch design was much improved over last years TS.
post #14 of 29

Someone should invent a ski with a switch that

can make it narrow for ice and hard snow and wide or mid fat for powder.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassina View Post
can make it narrow for ice and hard snow and wide or mid fat for powder.
Yeah... that's being proto'ed for 2010. Haven't you heard?

People just want a fricking hover-board, bumper-car, and a lambo all in one modular package. Pull a string & choose your tool like it's third-grade and Fisher Price Day without mandatory naps.

People request the obsurd around these parts.
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
Volkl's biggest downfall was the switch.

I was a Volkl die-hard for years. No more. They may be making more money as a producer, but they've lost their die-hards.
I don't understand. Granted, the switch is a gimmick, but it's a gimmick on a otherwise very good ski. And you can buy the model without it.

It's not exactly the first time they've put a gimmick on a ski, nor is it likely to be the last. If the skis are still good, and the gimmick doesn't detract from the performance, what's the beef?
post #17 of 29
Actually, Volkl's biggest downfall was when they ditched a bombproof, tried and true constuction and started messing with the Motion binding systems and foam/composite cores, and their skis have never been the same since. The Switch was just their latest screw up.
post #18 of 29
But they still make wood core skis, and and you can still buy their skis without the motion binding system.

You're not going to like every ski in their line. Neither is anybody else, which is why they make 50 different models; some of them have sloppy ^H^H^H Motion bindings, some have wimpy foam cores, some have graphics that look like dog barf.

Buy the good ones, avoid the crap. Is this so hard?

BTW, I've got a pair of their "bombproof tried-and-true construction" skis that I'm about to retire - not because they're worn out, but because I own three pairs of newer model Völkls that make the old one's obsolete.
post #19 of 29

move over "Tigershark"

Next years Tigershark has three settings !?!?! How many people stop, take off their skis, change settings, snap back in, and ski on !?!? C'Mon, it's stupid, and the amount of Tigersharks left on the wall in April, show's it! It's the 1st carving ski by Volkl to underperform on the hill and in the stores. Try a Dynastar Contact 4X4 in a 165 or 172, and you too, will jump the shark !
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
I did not get to ski the 12ft last year. How does it compare to the 10ft I did ski? The dealer near me has them both on sale for the same price. I have been shopping around for these on the internet since last season and most dealers have approximately a $200 premium on the 10ft. This leads me to believe (possibly incorrectly) that the 10ft was more in demand than the 12ft.
Go for the 12ft. You will like the extra 5mm underfoot. Doesn't sacrifice it's ripping abilities on the hardpack and will give you more float than the 10fts. Also, the 10ft has a nasty ass topsheet here in the states. You cant buy the slick gloss black version over here.

The fact that they separate Euro and US markets may be an issue as well. Overall though, they simply need to consolidate their lineup instead of expanding. If they continue to make their cap skis wider and wider, they are going to make their free ride line less successful, which will also hurt sales a bit. As for the switch, they should keep it for the top models only and make it the only option. The women's line should be consolidated as well, every shop I go into in March/April has pro-dominatly Women's skis left on the racks.

I'm quite sad that they would cut the AC40, it was the best selling ski of the year for them, I couldn't find a pair in the state for sale when February/March came around. I was left for the TS12s instead :/.
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
Go for the 12ft. You will like the extra 5mm underfoot. Doesn't sacrifice it's ripping abilities on the hardpack and will give you more float than the 10fts. Also, the 10ft has a nasty ass topsheet here in the states. You cant buy the slick gloss black version over here.
My take is that the 10' and the 12' are basically the same ski with one a little wider than the other. The basic feel is the same and the difference is along the same lines as you get with the same ski in two different lengths. If you think of the Tigershark as a single ski available in four lengths and two widths you won't be too far off.

Which length and width combo is right for this guy? I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
I'm quite sad that they would cut the AC40, it was the best selling ski of the year for them,
It's being replaced with the AC50 . Wider (88mm vs 82mm), as is the trend these days. They could have just made it wider without renaming it - I'm sure this was a decision by their marketing dept not their engineers.
post #22 of 29
Got a pair of ac50's 10 days ago, have a few days on them allready. I'm digging them so far, good performance on morning ice and afternoon slush. Easily coaxed into a variety of turn shapes and of course chatter free. Binding system is much improved. Uses "duke-like" wideride binder and is +1mm at toe which is good for me. Most past IPT had excessive ramp. Oh and, its 85 not 88 underfoot.
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxammo View Post
Got a pair of ac50'sx ... its 85 not 88 underfoot.
http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/...ited-ac50.html says it's 89.

Which isn't to say you're wrong - I'm just going by what's on the web.
post #24 of 29
Well, considering I only had to look at the ski laying on my floor... However the Grizzly I tried out last weekend was indeed 89 underfoot, perhaps that is the origin of the confusion.
post #25 of 29
For size, I am 5'8" and 145lbs, and ski the 12 ft in 175. Perfect length for me, a few cm more would be nice though.
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxammo View Post
Got a pair of ac50's 10 days ago, have a few days on them allready. I'm digging them so far, good performance on morning ice and afternoon slush. Easily coaxed into a variety of turn shapes and of course chatter free. Binding system is much improved. Uses "duke-like" wideride binder and is +1mm at toe which is good for me. Most past IPT had excessive ramp. Oh and, its 85 not 88 underfoot.
Yes, those 3 extra mms clearly qualify a new name. I'm not a fan of the new graphics ether.

also, could you clear some pm's pdx? thanks.
post #27 of 29
Most people I've talked to seem to think it skis quite differently than its predecessor, and the construction seems different. However wether the name changes along with the design seems arbitrary to me. They don't change the names of cars when a new model year comes out.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy boy View Post
Next years Tigershark has three settings !?!?! How many people stop, take off their skis, change settings, snap back in, and ski on !?!? C'Mon, it's stupid, and the amount of Tigersharks left on the wall in April, show's it! It's the 1st carving ski by Volkl to underperform on the hill and in the stores. Try a Dynastar Contact 4X4 in a 165 or 172, and you too, will jump the shark !
Actually, I've seen quite a few folks do the switch on the hill. They may have liked one setting the day before and started out that way the next day, only to find the conditions different enough they'd prefer the opposite position.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy boy View Post
Next years Tigershark has three settings !?!?! How many people stop, take off their skis, change settings, snap back in, and ski on !?!? C'Mon, it's stupid, and the amount of Tigersharks left on the wall in April, show's it! It's the 1st carving ski by Volkl to underperform on the hill and in the stores. Try a Dynastar Contact 4X4 in a 165 or 172, and you too, will jump the shark !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post
Actually, I've seen quite a few folks do the switch on the hill. They may have liked one setting the day before and started out that way the next day, only to find the conditions different enough they'd prefer the opposite position.
fwiw, I have a system binding on my Jet Fuel which is my crud and chord tool. I often adjust the bindings fore and aft 5mm depending on quality of snow.

Above, I stated that the switch was Volkl's biggest downfall. However, Rossi has also been experimenting with similar technology to change the camber on the Bandits, and Solly had that removeable swallow last year. Now that I'm giving it more thought, maybe there is something to be said about adjustable cambers and flexes to make a ski more versatile.

What I think this is, and why people consider it a gimmick, is actually R&D available to the public. If the public is willing to invest in something that likely won't exist next year (and therefore be viewed as a gimmick) their feedback can help determine which flex or camber is actually used the most and develop that specific flex further.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Volkl Tigersharks returning for 08/09 ?