New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stupidest Traffic Jam Ever

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
So we're headed up I70 to Summit today when just past Idaho Springs traffic comes to a stop. We crawl along for 15-20 minutes in the left lane when the cars in front of me merge right. I can now see 1/2 mile up the road and the left lane is completely clear. There is a sign that says left lane closed ahead. I speed up to maybe 10-15 and stay in the left lane until several people from the right lane including a tandem trailer big rig swerve in front of me and proceed to straddle the lane line so no one can pass. There are a few orange cones in the left shoulder but the left lane remains clear. Around the next curve no cones, no signs, nothing ever in the left lane. Now there's not much I miss about California drivers but they do use all of an open lane until you need to merge.
post #2 of 28
I hate that, I've never understood the point behind not using the lane up to the merge. If you want to merge early, hey, that's fine, but why block the lane so everyone has to? I just don't get it.
post #3 of 28
As long as everyone alternates the merge, using both lanes is fine and prob the best/quickest option.
post #4 of 28
This drives me CRAZY. It totally screws up traffic flow. And then people act like you're a jerk and block you from using the open lane.

Maybe the state DOTs should put out some PSA-type ads explaining how it should be done ....
post #5 of 28
Personally, I feel that motorists that are driven crazy by such things are a far greater problem.

I find that if I drive in the lane that is closed ahead all the way to the front AT THE SAME SPEED as the cars traveling in the crowded lane, I have no problem being allowed into the through lane when I get to the point where I must merge. I might enrage some kooks by doing that, but I think it's a fair and reasonable way to approach such a situation.
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
Personally, I feel that motorists that are driven crazy by such things are a far greater problem.

I find that if I drive in the lane that is closed ahead all the way to the front AT THE SAME SPEED as the cars traveling in the crowded lane, I have no problem being allowed into the through lane when I get to the point where I must merge. I might enrage some kooks by doing that, but I think it's a fair and reasonable way to approach such a situation.
Hey now ... only if I act on it. Trust me, I don't do anything untoward. (My version "crazy" is pretty low key. )

And I've tried your solution -- in fact, it's what I always do, because I know it's right -- and there have been many times that cars try to block me out from merging, or start acting all road rage-y. And I've seen it happen to others, in fact on I-70 just a couple of weeks ago.
post #7 of 28
Good. I think if the driver who has been traveling along side of you up to the merge doesn't let you in, it's probably because he wasn't paying attention and thinks you zipped up to the front, passing dozens of cars, or is just selfish. I think inattention and selfishness are the two biggest causes of accidents and traffic fatalities. That guy is either not paying attention or selfish or both. You don't want him behind you anyway, let him go ahead.
post #8 of 28
I remember when I lived in PA, PennDOT actually would put up signs that said something like "Use Both Lanes Up To Merge Point", to try to convince drivers to actually use the lane. People would still get bent out of shape and (truckers seem to be the worst about this) half-block the perfectly legal and wide open lane 1/2 mile from the merge point.
post #9 of 28
I don't half block the open lane, I block it completely. Truckers don't seem to mind.
post #10 of 28
What peaves me off is when folks block a lane like that straddling when there is an exit ahead BEFORE the merge point: I want to take the exit and some jerk is blocking the lane cause they think I'm just shooting down the lane to cut in ahead of everyone else at the merge point
post #11 of 28
Should I be glad I don't live in CO? I've never experienced this problem, in neither California nor the northeast. Never seen anyone hogging two lanes purposely, that is.

I mean, my natural reaction for someone who straddles two lane is to "beep" once to remind him he'd better make up his mind which lane he wants to use.

Now, not allowing merging is a slightly different approach. I understand where it's coming from. So I'm not bother by it, because there's always someone else one or two cars back that WILL allow me in.
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
I find that if I drive in the lane that is closed ahead all the way to the front AT THE SAME SPEED as the cars traveling in the crowded lane, I have no problem being allowed into the through lane when I get to the point where I must merge. I might enrage some kooks by doing that, but I think it's a fair and reasonable way to approach such a situation.
What about when the lane that's not ending is at a complete stop, 1/4 to 1/2 mile before the merge point. What do you do then? Do you still keep pace? If so, you're just moving the backup farther back, you're not helping anything at all. Those are the situations where I see people straddling the lane and blocking the traffic in the soon-to-end lane.
post #13 of 28
I'd probably roll in without touching gas or brake pedal until I got blocked, but I don't think blocking the open lane will cause the rate at which vehicles pass the bottleneck to decrease. I'm not going to merge until I have to, I'm with you on that.

Your point about spreading the backup farther back relates to crg's point about blocking access to off ramps and it's a valid point, to keep stalled traffic contained to the smallest section of highway.

I kind of enjoy making your driving experience as unpleasant as possible but that's just because I hate cars and motorists. Nothing personal.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
I kind of enjoy making your driving experience as unpleasant as possible but that's just because I hate cars and motorists. Nothing personal.
In that case, good thing you're in Maryland.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
I kind of enjoy making your driving experience as unpleasant as possible but that's just because I hate cars and motorists. Nothing personal.
Not as much as I do.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
What peaves me off is when folks block a lane like that straddling when there is an exit ahead BEFORE the merge point: I want to take the exit and some jerk is blocking the lane cause they think I'm just shooting down the lane to cut in ahead of everyone else at the merge point
You do have a horn somewhere at your steering wheel!

Or, a more civilized approach, though more complicated to excute, is to pull up level to the car blocking, by using the shoulder. And TALK to the driver: "excuse me, I need to get to that exit".

It maybe a bit difficult NOT to show your distain after showing them how stupid they are, though.
post #17 of 28
OK, you pass the guy on the shoulder, he is no longer in your way, yet you stop and bitch to make sure he knows you are a bigger jerk than him.
post #18 of 28
Yes, it takes a jerk to "educate" another jerk.

Nice guys don't rule the world.
post #19 of 28
Let's just say what passes for the 'more civilized approach' in nyc might not in the rest of the country.

I might try my turn indicator before using the shoulder. Honking, no. Stopping to TALK, I don't think so. I'm all upset because I was delayed, so I'm going to stop and offer advice? I'm not that nice.

I've gotten real mad at some drivers, but the ones stuck in traffic jams are the least of my worries.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post
You do have a horn somewhere at your steering wheel!

Or, a more civilized approach, though more complicated to excute, is to pull up level to the car blocking, by using the shoulder. And TALK to the driver: "excuse me, I need to get to that exit".

It maybe a bit difficult NOT to show your distain after showing them how stupid they are, though.
Talking to other drivers gets folks shot at arund here: I actually usually just drop it in 4 high and go around on the shoulder, median. whatever..
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
I might try my turn indicator before using the shoulder. Honking, no. Stopping to TALK, I don't think so. I'm all upset because I was delayed, so I'm going to stop and offer advice? I'm not that nice.
And that, coming from a guy who "enjoy making your driving experience as unpleasant as possible", passing up the opportunity to ..."making your driving experience as unpleasant as possible..."?
post #22 of 28
Haha, well, yeah but that guys is already fuming to the point where he is intentionally blocking exit lanes. I'd be preaching to the choir. There's traffic on other roads that isn't being obstructed and I need to do something about that NOW DAMMIT BEEP BEEP.
post #23 of 28
a bunch of skiers discussing merging in bottlenecks.

After reading this thread, I am SSOOOO happy I don't live in that world.

Those of you who do live in that world- do you actually get angry about it enough that when you get home, you have to start a thread about it to vent? That's nuts. Or- not.

I completely understand venting. I do it often. I do it often on this board, too. (shut up PP) I just wish my problems were as small as traffic. Sitting in my car, on my way to work (or home), sounds like such a relaxing experience.

Which makes me wonder, is your work actually stressful?
post #24 of 28
My job is corking up traffic with a big human-powered SUV. Hell yeah, it's stressful. A bus driver once got out of his bus and pushed me to the ground.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
a bunch of skiers discussing merging in bottlenecks.

After reading this thread, I am SSOOOO happy I don't live in that world.

Those of you who do live in that world- do you actually get angry about it enough that when you get home, you have to start a thread about it to vent? That's nuts. Or- not.

I completely understand venting. I do it often. I do it often on this board, too. (shut up PP) I just wish my problems were as small as traffic. Sitting in my car, on my way to work (or home), sounds like such a relaxing experience.

Which makes me wonder, is your work actually stressful?
It's summer, after all. What do you do with all the extra time at your hand?

I bet this was the umpteenth time it happened to the origainal poster. Not the first time he's seen the same.

Drivers of different regions have their own idiocyncrocity. So when someone moves from one region to another, one starts to notice some of these different behavior that doesn't make sense (or make better sense, sometimes).
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post
...I bet this was the umpteenth time it happened to the origainal poster. Not the first time he's seen the same...
He should know by now the pain and suffering of car driving. I admire those with the fortitude to drive.
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
My job is corking up traffic with a big human-powered SUV. Hell yeah, it's stressful. A bus driver once got out of his bus and pushed me to the ground.
Bus drivers and Hacks always think they own the downtown streets. I'd love to hear the rest of that story.
post #28 of 28
Probably deserves a thread of it's own...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel