or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › General Sports › For The Retro Skateboard Crowd
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For The Retro Skateboard Crowd - Page 6

post #151 of 176

Evolution

 


Edited by da-cat - 8/9/15 at 7:37am
post #152 of 176
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-cat View Post
 

Evolution 

 


No Hoverboard?

post #153 of 176

I cropped that photo a little..

Hoverboard? Not yet..
While you wait for one to be available you are welcome to practice on the Bongo Board..

post #154 of 176

There are a few stages missing in my Evo photo:

Prior to the fat Powell Peralta with hips would be a wide straight sided "Pig" board shape. And believe it or not the final shape shown in my photo is actually a 90's board! It's a Plan b with Stereo "marble" wheels. But after 20+ years since then the standard size and shape is close.

post #155 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-cat View Post
 

... But after 20+ years since then the standard size and shape is close.

Thumbs Up

 

post #156 of 176
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-cat View Post
 

There are a few stages missing in my Evo photo:

Prior to the fat Powell Peralta with hips would be a wide straight sided "Pig" board shape. And believe it or not the final shape shown in my photo is actually a 90's board! It's a Plan b with Stereo "marble" wheels. But after 20+ years since then the standard size and shape is close.

Ya, @da-cat you also need a wedge tail, complete with California Slaloms and an aluminum, preferably with ACS 500s and some shin blood on it hahaha.  The straight sided pig in the right, Alva Santa Monica Cross, is still my favorite ever, but I don't go switch..

 

 

I've got a modern freestyle pop sickle and my kids have my other pop sickles, one is a Mystery that I liked a little, too small though at 7.5"  8" to 8.5" is what's hot these days.

post #157 of 176

Nice!

 

Thanks for filling some gaps!

 

There is also another little known gap that was part of Long Island, NY Skateboarding too: "Felichiano axles". Before wide trucks made the store shelves our friend taking metal shop in High School turned some custom extended axles and spacers for us. We slid them through our standard sure grip trucks and used Road Rider "2" wheels!

post #158 of 176
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-cat View Post
 

Nice!

 

Thanks for filling some gaps!

 

There is also another little known gap that was part of Long Island, NY Skateboarding too: "Felichiano axles". Before wide trucks made the store shelves our friend taking metal shop in High School turned some custom extended axles and spacers for us. We slid them through our standard sure grip trucks and used Road Rider "2" wheels!

Bunger put out some kick ass FibreFlex clones.  I used to stop there and get surf wax on the way to Jones Beach when I lived on Long Island.

post #159 of 176

I have to scope out ebay for Bunger skateboards now!

We had some Bunger surfboards back in the day, one was an awesome stock longboard I wish I still had.

You knew you were in for a good day when the wind was off shore and the break was visable over the dunes on the beach road!


Edited by da-cat - 8/9/15 at 11:28am
post #160 of 176
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-cat View Post
 

I have to scope out ebay for Bunger skateboards now!

We had some Bunger surfboards back in the day, one was an awesome stock longboard I wish I still had.

You knew you were in for a good day when the wind was off shore and the break was viable over the dunes on the beach road!


This one's a little over 6'. Currently stashed out back of the shed, beat all to hell LOL.   I never liked it much but I'm a terrible surfer.  7' fun shape is what works best for me...

 

post #161 of 176

Classic!

 

My first surfboard was similar but a 6'-8" pintail; "Surfing's New Image". Exact same looking though- with the additional length was all in the tail. It was hard to surf on but fast!. Mine was a  bit narrower, a mini gun. Years later I was traveling in California and I rented a fun shape 7' board with lots of rocker- that board combined with the West Coast punch of the waves really helped my surfing! 

post #162 of 176
Thread Starter 

Here's the Bunger "Fibre Flight"

 

The guy that posted it might sell if he still has it but not cheap..

 

 

post #163 of 176

Sweet!

post #164 of 176

We once stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel in Hawaii (below is a photo of the lobby). It wasn't until late in our stay when I realized that right there in the lobby I discovered the derivation of the name "Pig Board" that I had been calling those fat skateboards all this time:

Look in the display case to the left in the picture below: That is an ancient "Pig Board" used to carry a roasted pig from the fire pit to the ceremony table!

 

post #165 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

 

No Hoverboard?

post #166 of 176

There ya go!

 

...."Lexus Hoverboard worked great.. too bad my i-phone is toast and my best Van's got freezer burn.. but yeah, other than that, it was great"!

post #167 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

Took the MPI and pushed the trucks out to make a mini slalom toy.  Hey @MT Skull
what size is that G&S Slalom?

 
This one's 26" nose to tail..  Wheel base (inside hardware bolt to inside hardware bolt) is 16 1/4"


Shorter than I thought; 16" axle to axle
post #168 of 176

I am a little reluctant to be posting this link to my ebay auctions, feels like I am mixing business with pleasure. But for those interested please take a look at the G&S and other items for sale:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331654323309?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

 

My 1980's Powell Peralta Tony Hawk deck is the heavy hitter.

 

Also I am selling a rare 1990's street board with the tiny little marble wheels lol.

 

No reserves so we will see what things are worth. 

 

Thanks for looking,

da-cat

post #169 of 176
Just found this in my shed. Got this original Alva with Tracker trucks and red 70mm Kryptonics in around 1977. Too bad I f'd with the original grip tape when I was a kid.

Went through many boards as a youth, but the only one I regret selling was a G&S brown Bowlrider with blue 60mm Kryptonics. Bought it at the end of a family vacation from Skateboard City in San Francisco. My father said that's the only thing I talked about for 2000+ miles.






post #170 of 176
Nice!
post #171 of 176
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post

Just found this in my shed. Got this original Alva with Tracker trucks and red 70mm Kryptonics in around 1977. Too bad I f'd with the original grip tape when I was a kid.

Went through many boards as a youth, but the only one I regret selling was a G&S brown Bowlrider with blue 60mm Kryptonics. Bought it at the end of a family vacation from Skateboard City in San Francisco. My father said that's the only thing I talked about for 2000+ miles.






 

I had that exact set up in the late 70s then put some Gullwing split axles on it for hill bombing since the park was pretty far from where we lived.  There were plenty of DIY wood quarter pipes around though.  I think I ended up with ACS 650 gold on it when my friend made me a generous offer for the Gullwings.  That pushed me to a wider board, Boulder Boards 10x30.  Sold that for car repair money and didn't skate again until junior year of college.

post #172 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

 

I had that exact set up in the late 70s then put some Gullwing split axles on it for hill bombing since the park was pretty far from where we lived.  There were plenty of DIY wood quarter pipes around though.  I think I ended up with ACS 650 gold on it when my friend made me a generous offer for the Gullwings.  That pushed me to a wider board, Boulder Boards 10x30.  Sold that for car repair money and didn't skate again until junior year of college.

This was the board that went to college with me. Pretty much just used it to get back and forth to the garage when my car needed repairs.

post #173 of 176
Thread Starter 

You could probably get $200 for that as is. Mine actually had red 60s.  That was a pretty standard upper end complete sold to a lot of us at the first generation of good skate shops.   I recreated a similar version of that and it is my go to deck when I'm feeling the itch to go for a ride.  I have a reissue deck and Kryptonics just re issued the star tacs in rec, green and blue as well.  I wish I had held on to the real one though..

 

Got some more recent Ventures on this because the Midtracks are on the legit FiberFlex Kicktail

 

post #174 of 176
Thread Starter 

Busting out the summer kicks.  Decided to snap some photos.. have a pair of navy Vans Authentic on the way to go next to the Stars and Stripes..

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #175 of 176

Do they all fit you?

post #176 of 176
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
 

Do they all fit you?


Yes, most are size 8 or 8.5.  A couple are 9 with padded insoles added.  Got a stash of wing tips, dress shoes and cowboy boots as well.  Rockers gotta rock ya know..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Sports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › General Sports › For The Retro Skateboard Crowd