EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 08-09 Movement Skis vs 07-08
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

08-09 Movement Skis vs 07-08

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know if there have been any changes to the Movement lineup or construction for this season? At the end of last season I had just about decided on the Thunder, but I want to make sure that it hasn't changed from the one I demo'd (07-08) before I set up my pro-form to get the new model... I know the graphics are different, but what about anything else that will actually make a difference in the way it skis?


(09 thunder graphics)
post #2 of 15
have you tried contacting Movement directly?

i've found that a lot of the smaller/boutique ski companies are really easy to reach (via email) and are really quick to answer your questions.

you'd probably get a quicker and more direct answer by hitting them up via their website.
post #3 of 15
Haven't heard anything about the construction changing, although they have some new sticks in the line up. I agree that trying them directly might give more info. Skipass (out of Europe) has some of the spec info available online (and you already know that) - seems to me they would have that info listed?
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
have you tried contacting Movement directly?

i've found that a lot of the smaller/boutique ski companies are really easy to reach (via email) and are really quick to answer your questions.

you'd probably get a quicker and more direct answer by hitting them up via their website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Haven't heard anything about the construction changing, although they have some new sticks in the line up. I agree that trying them directly might give more info. Skipass (out of Europe) has some of the spec info available online (and you already know that) - seems to me they would have that info listed?
I'll do that, thanks. Yes, I saw on Skipass that all the dimensions have remained the same, but I was not sure about construction, materials, flex pattern, etc. Movement's website has not been updated and is still advertising for the 07-08 season, so it doesn't have any of the new gear on there yet. I'll drop 'em a line and see what they say.
post #5 of 15
Not sure how quickly they will respond. In Canada, Movement is distributed by ROI Recreation (roirecreation.com). Might find some contact info there that is helpful for you.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks again! ROI is the main distributor for all of N. America, not just Canada, so I went ahead and wrote to 'em asking my ?'s. I'll keep everyone posted if and when they reply...
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Extremely quick reply from ROI, the ski is the same aside from the new top sheet (shown above.) This is good news as far as I'm concerned, as the ski is (and was) exactly what I want. I'll be ordering mine soon!
post #8 of 15
yeah, they have some of the dopest topsheets out there... But I just made a post in your thread about the 183 BROs, so check that out before you pull the trigger on the movements, because they ARE back.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
MMMM, wish I could get both! I already have something in the 100 underfoot range, so for now I think I'm gonna stick with the movements. Just wanted to know about the BRO's for hopes and dreams, you know... maybe someday (as long as they're still makin' em!) Thanks for the info!
post #10 of 15
Not to harsh your excitement, but I've been where you're at: drooling over all the endless options of new skis.

Honestly, after 2 seasons of buying, selling (not to mention 3 seasons of demoing), I ended up with a rotating quiver of 5 skis.

I carted all 5 around with me all season, which is at 60 days and counting and included riding in Colo, Utah, Wyoming, Tahoe, and New Mexico.

Seriously, over the course of those 60 days I ended up grabbing the same 2 pairs of skis over and over again: Lib Tech Freeride (93/99mm waist thanks to Magnetraction) and Spatula (125 waist).

I've come to the conclusion that you really don't need more than 2 skis in your quiver: a 90ish waisted ski (closer to 100 being more optimal) and then a 125+ preferably reverse camber super-fatty.

Of course this depends on where you ride for the most part, but for the places I frequent (Cali, Utah, Colo, Wyoming, NM) this 2-ski quiver was optimal.

Additionally, I've found that a great deal of my friends have trimmed their quivers down. I ride with a lot of folks who have a pair of Bros (99mm) and then something like the Praxis or DP or ComiKaze (all +125 in the waist).

Again, I've been where you're at, drooling over the various options out there and demoing and making lists and I even went so far as to go through 2 different 5 quiver set-ups before realizing that less is more.

Plus with the airlines now charging for that first set of skis and gas prices being what they are, traveling with a quiver is becoming more of a hassle.

post #11 of 15
Yeah Dookey, I think you're right. I don't see the need to have more than 4 pairs of skis at any time.

carver- EC ice days (70-80 waist)
midfat-Any EC day not an ice day (90ish waist)
fat- EC pow day or WC everyday (100ish waist)
superfat- WC pow day (125ish waist, maybe rockered)

Virtually all your bases for any particular day can be covered by the 2 pairs most likely needed for the conditions you expect.

Anyone who has more than that- good for you and that's awesome, but I can't afford that kind of equipment and can't see overlapping until I have all the bases covered.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
...included riding in Colo, Utah, Wyoming, Tahoe, and New Mexico... I've come to the conclusion that you really don't need more than 2 skis in your quiver: a 90ish waisted ski (closer to 100 being more optimal) and then a 125+ preferably reverse camber super-fatty... Of course this depends on where you ride for the most part, but for the places I frequent (Cali, Utah, Colo, Wyoming, NM) this 2-ski quiver was optimal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
Yeah Dookey, I think you're right. I don't see the need to have more than 4 pairs of skis at any time.

carver- EC ice days (70-80 waist)
midfat-Any EC day not an ice day (90ish waist)
fat- EC pow day or WC everyday (100ish waist)
superfat- WC pow day (125ish waist, maybe rockered)

Virtually all your bases for any particular day can be covered by the 2 pairs most likely needed for the conditions you expect.
I must say I agree with both of you, the JAY in my handle isn't my name, it's Jay Peak... as in Vermont. I do 95% of my skiing in Vermont and New Hampshire, so the reverse camber 125+ super fatty is simply unnecessary!

As for the 4, I currently have a Rossi Z9 carver which I keep sharp for those gnarly east coast ice days, an Atomic Tweak (twin tip, 78ish waist, P.O.S.) that WAS a daily choice and is now a rock ski, and a Karhu Jak Team (100 waist, same ski as Line Prophet 100 and set up alpine ) for pow days, and really almost any day that's not bulletproof. My plans are to Get an AT setup for the Jak's and make them the BC ski, get the Movements to replace the Tweaks as an everyday ski (which will be a HUGE upgrade for me ) and then get a pair of 183 BROS to replace the Jaks for an inbounds fatty. My Jak's are 172's, which will be nice while hiking but is not really big enough for what I want to do as an everyday pow ski.

Hope this helps clarify where I'm coming from, and your right: this is a GREAT decision to be making, and I'm LOVING thinking about it sitting here in June while it's pouring outside! Hopefully I can swing things and pull the trigger on both. I will then consider my quiver "complete." (at least for this year) :
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
So still sitting here and thinking about these skis, I need someone to talk me out of getting the Thunders in a 187. I'm 5'7 155, and it's a LOT of ski! I'l love to think that I can ride it and be fine, but I ride on the east coast in REALLY TIGHT trees and I worry that I wouldn't be able to get 'em around quick enough. The 177 seems a little shorter than i'd like, but there's nothing in between. Gimme some opinions, can someone of my stature turn this ski in really tight trees in a 187? (I hope so!)
post #14 of 15
Ok, so here goes... these skis have a lot of performance in em and they need (in my experience) quite a bit of speed to work them properly. At your height and weight, I would definitely ski the 177. I'm 5'8" tall, about 180 lbs, ski about 40-50 days a season and am an advanced skier (I'm not so vain to call myself an expert). For tight trees, the 177 is what you want. You will not be disappointed - the 187s are not necessary.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Ok, so here goes... these skis have a lot of performance in em and they need (in my experience) quite a bit of speed to work them properly. At your height and weight, I would definitely ski the 177. I'm 5'8" tall, about 180 lbs, ski about 40-50 days a season and am an advanced skier (I'm not so vain to call myself an expert). For tight trees, the 177 is what you want. You will not be disappointed - the 187s are not necessary.
Alberto's take may be a good one for your size. I am 5'11" and 200lbs and love my 187 Thunders. Even if I was down to my low weight of 180 (haven't seen that in a few years) I would stick with the 187 for me. With you at 155, the 177 should kill it. Look for some of last years. At that length, there may be some out there for cheap. Mine were $399 from BackCountry.com in March.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 08-09 Movement Skis vs 07-08