EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Is it bad that I like to take my bike to a shop?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is it bad that I like to take my bike to a shop? - Page 2

post #31 of 50

zee trrm eez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
to me, this whole question basically boils down to a few basic things...

"opportunity cost"
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
"opportunity cost"
Uh-oh, econ talk. You're giving me undergrad nightmares....Anyway, here's another one: "utility"

Some get utility from wrenching, some don't; sometimes it's the zen of bike maintenance, sometimes it's about saving $$$ or time, etc. Another way of saying YMMV....
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
How much $$$ did you make while doing your job instead of wrenching on your bike/ searching for parts/ re-ordering non-compatible parts??

I'll bet you wouldn't have 'saved' $160, you would have LOST money, right?
LOL, it is like the person making $100k that spends 2 weeks shopping around buying a car to save $50.00. Once you figure "time" into most transactions, the cheapest place to purchase is usually the first place you shopped. *note, I as guilty of this as anyone.
post #34 of 50
In the spirit of the OP it's true confessions time: just had my old beat-up bike in shop over the weekend. I'm the ultimate pencil neck, wrench-challenged guy. I'd been riding daily with a wobbly rear wheel for two months. Other cyclists had been telling me to get it fixed as they blew by me. Turned out I needed three spokes and tire replaced on rear wheel. They also adjusted the gears so now I have use of all 18 for the first time in a couple years. $70 at The Bike Club in Falls Church. They could have turned it around in about 2 hours, but I was out on Saturday afternoon doing something fun with wifey when they called for pick-up.

There is a pattern here. I'm kind of the same with ski gear, cars, computers. Blissful ignorance until a catastrophic failure, followed by panicked scramble until repairs or replacements are completed. Then blindly rush forward again into the next costly disaster. What can I say, I thrive on procrastination and prayer.
post #35 of 50
FWIW, some of us ENJOY wrenching on stuff....
post #36 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
FWIW, some of us ENJOY wrenching on stuff....
I totally get that, Lonnie. I have had moments when I enjoy it also, but not so much lately.

volklgirl slays me. That girl does all her own wrenching, builds her own bikes and devours the trails.
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
How much $$$ did you make while doing your job instead of wrenching on your bike/ searching for parts/ re-ordering non-compatible parts??

I'll bet you wouldn't have 'saved' $160, you would have LOST money, right?
You take an unpaid vacation to work on your gear?
post #38 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_piet View Post
You take an unpaid vacation to work on your gear?
Um, I'm self employed. If I don't work, I don't get paid.
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
Um, I'm self employed. If I don't work, I don't get paid.
You work 24/7?
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_piet View Post
You work 24/7?
Sorry. Let me be a bit more direct. The topic was:

Is it bad that I like to take my bike to a shop?

Not in all cases. There is some stuff that is done once to never where purchasing your own tool to do it yourself just doesn't make sense.

Like one of these:
http://elitecycling.com/page.cfm?Pag...ils&sku=TL7252

But for most stuff, it makes $en$e to do it yourself. Plus, it's fun and you can always make time to do it. I've lost a lot of sleep working on bikes and skis. But, it's always been worth it. You save cash, learn something, enforce things already learned, and you'll have more pride in your toys knowing they perform well because of your hard work.

Then there is the whole trusting other people with my stuff thing... Maybe that's the real issue with me.
post #41 of 50
She's just feeling a little guilty because I keep giving her "the look" about taking her bike in.

With VERY few exceptions (like having my Headshocks and Lefty serviced), I do all my own maintenance, repair, and upgrading. I love to do the wrenching and really dig the bike-rider togetherness it fosters. By knowing every inch of my babies, I know the instant something even starts to go wrong and how to fix it. I hear other people's bikes squeek, creak, rattle, and clank and I just cringe :.

I totally understand about having someone else work on your bike if you're not inclined or don't have the time, but I know that I will spend lots more time making sure my bike is running right than some shop rat, no matter how much he/she gets paid, because I have a very personal stake in it. It drives hubby crazy.....he'll still have a squeek in his disk brakes but will just say "good enough". Aaack!!!! I'll fiddle with the danged thing for hours until it's perfect (OK, so I'm a little OCD : ). I guess the bike stand is my version of the man cave :.
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post
I totally understand about having someone else work on your bike if you're not inclined or don't have the time, but I know that I will spend lots more time making sure my bike is running right than some shop rat, no matter how much he/she gets paid, because I have a very personal stake in it...
You know...there is truth in what you say. Recently I took my commuter bike to the LBS because my brakes were squealing. They adjusted them. No more squeal. Fantastic, right?

I went to another bike store to test-ride some bikes. While I was out, I guess the bike guy was bored and took a look at my commuter bike (the one I'd ridden in on). When I got back from the test ride, he pointed out that my rear brakes were...rubbing on my TIRE! He showed me the wear mark.

Imagine if I'd been rolling down a big hill at 40mph (my commute is full of big hills), squeezed the brakes and blew out my rear tire? I worry about getting side-swiped by an SUV, but to get injured because of an improper brake adjustment?

:

So yeah. I need to learn to do my own maintenance. I'm a believer now.
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post
She's just feeling a little guilty because I keep giving her "the look" about taking her bike in.

With VERY few exceptions (like having my Headshocks and Lefty serviced), I do all my own maintenance, repair, and upgrading. I love to do the wrenching and really dig the bike-rider togetherness it fosters. By knowing every inch of my babies, I know the instant something even starts to go wrong and how to fix it. I hear other people's bikes squeek, creak, rattle, and clank and I just cringe :.

I totally understand about having someone else work on your bike if you're not inclined or don't have the time, but I know that I will spend lots more time making sure my bike is running right than some shop rat, no matter how much he/she gets paid, because I have a very personal stake in it. It drives hubby crazy.....he'll still have a squeek in his disk brakes but will just say "good enough". Aaack!!!! I'll fiddle with the danged thing for hours until it's perfect (OK, so I'm a little OCD : ). I guess the bike stand is my version of the man cave :.
Maybe other mechanics are different, but I am far more temperamental with the bikes I fix at work than my own. A couple of my bikes have creaking BBs, wheels that are very out of true and until recently a front brake that was so far gone, it was for emergency only use because it has to be manually re-centered (the return spring is shot). Many of the other mechanics I know are like this, their own personal bikes are barely running, yet demand that the bikes that go out the door be as close to perfect as their owner (and often their owner's wallet) will allow. I may not have a personal stake in my work because I won't get hurt if it malfunctions, but I certainly have pride in my workmanship.

Certainly, do your own maintenance, but just because someone takes their bike to a shop, it doesn't mean they are getting a lower quality of work.
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobatt View Post
Maybe other mechanics are different, but I am far more temperamental with the bikes I fix at work than my own. A couple of my bikes have creaking BBs, wheels that are very out of true and until recently a front brake that was so far gone, it was for emergency only use because it has to be manually re-centered (the return spring is shot). Many of the other mechanics I know are like this, their own personal bikes are barely running, yet demand that the bikes that go out the door be as close to perfect as their owner (and often their owner's wallet) will allow. I may not have a personal stake in my work because I won't get hurt if it malfunctions, but I certainly have pride in my workmanship.

Certainly, do your own maintenance, but just because someone takes their bike to a shop, it doesn't mean they are getting a lower quality of work.
Sorry, no slam intended at all. I've had both tremendous and horrendous experiences when taking my bikes in (even from the same mechanic).

But, you only have a certain number of hours and many bikes to fix, plus it's not cost effective to spend hours on a customer's bike.
post #45 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post
She's just feeling a little guilty because I keep giving her "the look" about taking her bike in...................



(OK, so I'm a little OCD : ). I guess the bike stand is my version of the man cave :.
I can vouch for both of these comments!
You shoulda seen the look on her face when I told her I paid 241 to get my bike worked on.:

I just don't seem to have the urge to be all that I can be in this regard.
As stated before, I can and do adjust my derailer, fix a flat tire, check my chain and sprockets, and maintain my pedals. I just don't have the urge to BE a bike mechanic.
So, while she is wrenching her own bike, I'll be leaving mine in the hands of a guy like Bobatt, or Whiteroom, and heading for the golf course.
I will call it my contribution to economic stimulus!!!

VG is a Mtbiking Maniac, from trail building, to Radical Freeride clinics, to building her own bikes.............and she regularly kicks my butt!
post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post
Sorry, no slam intended at all. I've had both tremendous and horrendous experiences when taking my bikes in (even from the same mechanic).

But, you only have a certain number of hours and many bikes to fix, plus it's not cost effective to spend hours on a customer's bike.
That's definitely true, the biggest thing we sell in the shop is our labour, and we need to be efficient to make money (even though service departments rarely even break even). But even then we have to make sure we're putting out good work.

I know how you feel though. When I'm done wrenching professionally, I'll be doing the exact same thing you do!
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobatt View Post
That's definitely true, the biggest thing we sell in the shop is our labour, and we need to be efficient to make money (even though service departments rarely even break even). But even then we have to make sure we're putting out good work.
There's a somewhat related Bilenky interview here.
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobatt View Post
I know how you feel though. When I'm done wrenching professionally, I'll be doing the exact same thing you do!

Interesting....I've been making my living for the last 30 years as a mechanic. And I've worked on a LOT of different things over the years....
but I still spend MORE time working on my own stuff than the 40 hours a week that the company gets. And when retirement rolls around, that will only increase.....
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
There's a somewhat related Bilenky interview here.
That's a great blog! I found the entry before that one, on the Chinese manufacturing industry, particularly interesting.
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
There's a somewhat related Bilenky interview here.
Stephen Bilenky was one of the speaker on Saturdays seminars at this years Cirque de Cyclism in Leesburg, VA. I enjoyed his segment, talking about his experiences over the last 30 years.....
525x525px-LL-vbattach3503.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Is it bad that I like to take my bike to a shop?