New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hybrid Irons - Any Good ?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Anyone have any experience with hybrid irons? I am good (sort of) with 9 through 6 but my 5 and 4 are very unreliable to say the least.

6 I hit about 148, 7 wood I hit 175, 3 wood 180-90. Because I am not a really long hitter (avg. good drive 200-225) I end up with a lot of 150-165 shorts to the green. Would a hybrid iron help here. Looking for accuracy and height to land on the green.

Yep I know it is the Engine but thought I would ask anyway. I have been stuck as a mid 80's golfer now for years and this might help ?

Just bought a new/used putter, Ping Anser I on E Bay and can't wait to get it.
post #2 of 13
Without knowing anything else about your game, and based solely on distances given, it sounds like your swing speed warrants replacing (at least) your 4 iron with a hybrid that would be easier to hit.

FWIW, I carry my 3 iron about 195 (and I can actually hit it off the fairway), and I'm still thinking of replacing it with something easier to hit...
post #3 of 13
If you're scoring in the mid-80's, that's better than me. I have 3 hybrids I made with kits from Golfsmith. QuickStrike II in 23 degree, 27 degree, and 32 degree, with various graphite shafts. I love em. They are heavy, stable, and seem to get air under my shots better than the irons I replaced them with. Above all, I hit them straighter, with less fade/draw. For a low handicapper, that might be a drawback - a good set of forged blades might let you work the ball more. But I have retired my 1, 3, and 4 irons for good.

I've heard good things about the Adams hybrids, and my Golfsmiths are physically similar to Olimar clubs, but I've never tried any preassembled hybrids. I'm scoring in the low 90's for like, forever.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hybrid irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDog View Post
If you're scoring in the mid-80's, that's better than me. I have 3 hybrids I made with kits from Golfsmith. QuickStrike II in 23 degree, 27 degree, and 32 degree, with various graphite shafts. I love em. They are heavy, stable, and seem to get air under my shots better than the irons I replaced them with. Above all, I hit them straighter, with less fade/draw. For a low handicapper, that might be a drawback - a good set of forged blades might let you work the ball more. But I have retired my 1, 3, and 4 irons for good.

I've heard good things about the Adams hybrids, and my Golfsmiths are physically similar to Olimar clubs, but I've never tried any preassembled hybrids. I'm scoring in the low 90's for like, forever.
SpikeDog, thanks for answer. The 23/27/32 degree hybrids which iron do they represent and what distance do you hit them. lOW 90's would prob ably describe me better too. Thanks
post #5 of 13
Pete,
You could get some hybrids to cover anything above your six iron. The seven wood covers some of the same ground but I think three or four hybrids would be better overall.
I’m a USGA “9” sometimes and I have 16, 19 and 22 degree hybrids. My “average” shot with the 16 is about the same as my “average” with the 3 wood so I took the 3 out of the bag for a few months just so I wouldn’t be tempted.
If the course you play most has lots of deep rough consider a Perfect Club. It’s similar to a hybrid with a short shaft but the head is shaped like a small wood and it can really dig a ball out of the rough.
The Perfect Club and some brands of hybrids have a lot of offset and therefore a lot of built in hook bias. If you do not already consistently draw the ball they’re fine. If you already hit a good draw you may need to look at hybrids with less offset.
There are plenty of good hybrids available new or used going back several years. They are all considerably easier to hit than your long irons.
Hybrid golf clubs can help your golf game as much as shaped skis helped skiers or oversized rackets helped tennis players.
post #6 of 13
I don't carry anything higher than a 5 in my bag

9-125 yds
8-140 yds
7-150 yds
6-160 yds
22 deg-175 yds
18 deg-185 yds
5 wood 195 yds
Driver-220-240 yds
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hybrid irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveturner View Post
Pete,
You could get some hybrids to cover anything above your six iron. The seven wood covers some of the same ground but I think three or four hybrids would be better overall.
I’m a USGA “9” sometimes and I have 16, 19 and 22 degree hybrids. My “average” shot with the 16 is about the same as my “average” with the 3 wood so I took the 3 out of the bag for a few months just so I wouldn’t be tempted.
If the course you play most has lots of deep rough consider a Perfect Club. It’s similar to a hybrid with a short shaft but the head is shaped like a small wood and it can really dig a ball out of the rough.
The Perfect Club and some brands of hybrids have a lot of offset and therefore a lot of built in hook bias. If you do not already consistently draw the ball they’re fine. If you already hit a good draw you may need to look at hybrids with less offset.
There are plenty of good hybrids available new or used going back several years. They are all considerably easier to hit than your long irons.
Hybrid golf clubs can help your golf game as much as shaped skis helped skiers or oversized rackets helped tennis players.
Interesting analogy, if that happened I would start breaking 80 BUT then I still have to putt - oh well.

Thanks everybody, think I'll try. Phil that gives me an idea of degree loft.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hybrid irons

QUESTION. Just to clear this up in my foggy mind. If a hybrid was the following/ what would be its eqivalent in an iron just do I don't order the wrong thing if I can't demo. We don't have a lot of Demo type course or shops around here, so may just order on E Bay.

4 iron - ? degree hybrid
5 iron - ?

Looking for that club for 150-170 shot, and land on green as soft as poss.

Hit my 6 iron about 145, 7 iron 135

I am thinking 22 degree for 4 iron and 27 for 5 iron. Am I close?


Thanks for helping. Pete
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
QUESTION. I am thinking 22 degree for 4 iron and 27 for 5 iron. Am I close?
Yep. On older sets of irons, the lofts are weaker, i.e. more loft, and modern sets stronger, i.e. less loft. Example: I have an old set of Ping Eye 2s and the lofts look like this depending on exact model:

3 Iron: ~21.5 degrees
4 iron: ~25 degrees
5 iron: ~28.5

Newer clubs would probably have a degree or two less loft, so you're within 1-2 degrees...
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
QUESTION. Just to clear this up in my foggy mind. If a hybrid was the following/ what would be its eqivalent in an iron just do I don't order the wrong thing if I can't demo. We don't have a lot of Demo type course or shops around here, so may just order on E Bay.

4 iron - ? degree hybrid
5 iron - ?

Looking for that club for 150-170 shot, and land on green as soft as poss.

Hit my 6 iron about 145, 7 iron 135

I am thinking 22 degree for 4 iron and 27 for 5 iron. Am I close?


Thanks for helping. Pete
I would think you are close. There are a few charts on the internet, but the angles for irons are different for each manufacturer (thanks to PING for screwing with the iron face angles years ago).

I hit the 27 degree about 180, and the 23 degree about 200. My drives are averaging about 230. I haven't hit the 32 degree enough to really dial it in, but it's supposed to be about a 6 iron. I've been trying it at around 160 yards so far. As a basis, I hit the 8 iron about 145. I almost never pull the 5 or 6 outta the bag. This is all at 6300 ft altitude, so subtract a few yards for comparison purposes. I use a pretty lively ball too (Wilson Smartcores), so if you use a soft ball like the Noodle, there's even more variables to deal with.

Some of these hybrids do indeed come with some offset, as mentioned by SteveTurner. I'm thinking the new Golfsmith fairway wood I built (Mamba II - more of a square-headed brick on a stick than true hybrid) has a bit more offset than advertised. Offset for me tends to keep the ball too low. Unless you have a ginormous banana slice to correct, don't go for offset on a hybrid.

Pete, you must play on some hilly terrain, eh? I learned on the U of Idaho course, plus a few times at WSU. Been stuck at 20-22 handicap for about a decade now.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDog View Post
I would think you are close. There are a few charts on the internet, but the angles for irons are different for each manufacturer (thanks to PING for screwing with the iron face angles years ago).

I hit the 27 degree about 180, and the 23 degree about 200. My drives are averaging about 230. I haven't hit the 32 degree enough to really dial it in, but it's supposed to be about a 6 iron. I've been trying it at around 160 yards so far. As a basis, I hit the 8 iron about 145. I almost never pull the 5 or 6 outta the bag. This is all at 6300 ft altitude, so subtract a few yards for comparison purposes. I use a pretty lively ball too (Wilson Smartcores), so if you use a soft ball like the Noodle, there's even more variables to deal with.

Some of these hybrids do indeed come with some offset, as mentioned by SteveTurner. I'm thinking the new Golfsmith fairway wood I built (Mamba II - more of a square-headed brick on a stick than true hybrid) has a bit more offset than advertised. Offset for me tends to keep the ball too low. Unless you have a ginormous banana slice to correct, don't go for offset on a hybrid.

Pete, you must play on some hilly terrain, eh? I learned on the U of Idaho course, plus a few times at WSU. Been stuck at 20-22 handicap for about a decade now.

Spikedog, thanks for input. Yep pretty hilly course, actually there's not a level lie on the course anywhere. There a 2 club set on EBay now, taylor made Burner hybrids 4 and 5 that mabe I'll bid on. Shot a 42 today and hitting the ball better this year than last but think these may help me at that 160 into the green shot. Problem here is I can't demo. clubs like when I use to live in Sacramento. The good news is I haven't had to make a T time in the last 5 years.
post #12 of 13
Hi Pete, I have been improving my game over the past year, well since I've only been golfing for three years, I guess I've been improving for the past three years.
The first hybrid I introduced into my bag/game was the 22*. I really like what it does, thought some times it behaves badly and I have to put it in time out.
post #13 of 13
Pete,

No one has mentioned that there is a distinction between hybrids and hybrid irons. The lofts people have been mentioning are related to hybrids. Look at this set from Adams. The 5 and the 6 are noticably different from the other irons and the hybrids.

I believe that skiers (real skiers as opposed to people who ski) have an unfair advantage on the golf course. Over the last few years I've been able to move my 9 iron distance from 100 to 140 yards simply by relocating effort from upper to lower body. People are amazed by how far I can hit the ball with a half swing. But I see a lot of skiers who are long hitters. I believe it it because of lower body and core strength.

My last jump in distance came despite changing club lofts. My current 8 iron has the same loft as my old 9, yet I'm now hitting it longer than my old 9. One difference is my current set is custom made. Having the shafts balanced enabled me to make a more confident and consistent swing.

I suspect you may have more hidden yardage in your ski legs than the yardage you get from changing club technology, but changing club technology can help a lot too. Balanced shafts are a little known technology secret. Part of the reasons hybrids hit longer is using graphite shafts instead of iron. Why not also shift to graphite shafter short irons? But the big questions is: Have you taken lessons? I did not make big investments in clubs until after I'd made a big investment in lessons.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Sports