New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Second set of boards

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hey all, im from jersey, but am heading out west to Utah for all of next season. I have a pair of line prophet 90s at 179 that are awesome, but I've been told to bring another pair. Do I want to go wider or narrower? I think this ski can handle powder, but not so much when it gets all moguled up. I haven't been out their for that long of time so I have no idea. Also, if possible I'd like to stay with a twin tip. thanks for the help! Oh and I'm 6'0" and about 160
post #2 of 20
Hart F-17 or K2 CaBralwer would be my recommendation for a primary bump ski that also has some all around utility-Not sure of the CaBrawler sill be available on 08-09 but there are still some 07s to be found.

You might also want to consider a softer GS ski for all around cruising and occasional bumps. A GS ski would probably fair better in deep snow than an SL or bump ski IMO, but neither is gonna be a twin.
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranej View Post
Hey all, im from jersey, but am heading out west to Utah for all of next season. I have a pair of line prophet 90s at 179 that are awesome, but I've been told to bring another pair. Do I want to go wider or narrower? I think this ski can handle powder, but not so much when it gets all moguled up. I haven't been out their for that long of time so I have no idea. Also, if possible I'd like to stay with a twin tip. thanks for the help! Oh and I'm 6'0" and about 160
90mm 179 is an ok bump ski out here, FYI you never have to ski bump here if you dont want to but they will make you a better skier.

IMO if you not teaching going skinnier than 80-90 mm is pretty dumb in the cottonwood resort, in PC a groomerish ski would probably be better choice.

Cottonwood Resorts(alta,snowbird,Brighton,Solitude) and Snowbasin,Powder Mountain, and Beaver(the last three which never have bumps ever) go fatter and maybe alittle longer.

Fatter skis from most versital to the most float I would recommend. all are twins but the Legend.

186 Dynstar Legend Pro, 183 Volkl Gotama, 183 Volkl Katana, 181 Atomic Thug, 179 Hellbent. and tons of other various boutique ski companies as well.

If your going to Park City area or Sundance a narrow ski would be recommend anything from a cheater GS ski, to bump skis would probably be nice to have.

80 percent of the days out here you will be on your Bigger ski, especially if your allways searching out soft snow, there is almost top to bottom powder at Snowbird even days after the storm let alone Snowbasin,solitude and brighton where almost noone skis. and to be honest I would think you Line were quite good mogul skis remember we dont get troughed out moguls like the east or colorado gets, we get them but thats just a sign it needs to snow again.

also dont listen to Volklskier1 if he post in this thread the guy is a complete tool and he will probably tell you that since your not some pro big mountain skier that your current skis are far to big for you and you should be skiing something like SL ski all the time so you can get better. So year just a heads up there are people on this site that post advice but would never back it up in person.
post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 
most likely I am going to be teaching...if all goes well, at one of the cottonwoods or snowbasin, so go skinnier?
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
also dont listen to xxxxxxxxxx if he post in this thread the guy is a complete tool and he will probably tell you that since your not some pro big mountain skier that your current skis are far to big for you and you should be skiing something like SL ski all the time so you can get better. So year just a heads up there are people on this site that post advice but would never back it up in person.




Post of the Day!

How can someone know for sure how a stranger skis without seeing or hearing from a reliable source? Fair enough that those who brag biggest usually disappoint in person and vice versa, but judge not lest ye be judged..
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranej View Post
most likely I am going to be teaching...if all goes well, at one of the cottonwoods or snowbasin, so go skinnier?
If you teaching yes than go skinnier especially if your concerned about certification.

If you want money work at Alta or Snowbird, if you want to ski more go to Snowbasin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post




Post of the Day!

How can someone know for sure how a stranger skis without seeing or hearing from a reliable source? Fair enough that those who brag biggest usually disappoint in person and vice versa, but judge not lest ye be judged..
he has judged that i am I beginner skier from over the internet, so he will be dissed till he goes way, or stops being a tool.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
great, thanks for the advice, especially on the job too. i've never skied snowbasin, i did notice they have more terrain than alta, but get less snow. As far as how challenging and diverse the terrain there is i have no idea, but i do know that they have been extremely personable and freindly towards me, even without a certification, and that is where im leaning towards going.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

also dont listen to Volklskier1 if he post in this thread the guy is a complete tool and he will probably tell you that since your not some pro big mountain skier that your current skis are far to big for you and you should be skiing something like SL ski all the time so you can get better. So year just a heads up there are people on this site that post advice but would never back it up in person.
moranej... don't listen to me either.

My advice would have been that if you're going to be teaching a lot and if your primary teaching assignment is anything other than high-level students who want to learn off-piste technique, then you don't need a second ski that's wider than what you've already got. I'd recommend your second ski be a recreational carver with a waist in the 70's (like the Head SuperShape Magnum). But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moranej View Post
great, thanks for the advice, especially on the job too. i've never skied snowbasin, i did notice they have more terrain than alta, but get less snow. As far as how challenging and diverse the terrain there is i have no idea, but i do know that they have been extremely personable and freindly towards me, even without a certification, and that is where im leaning towards going.
Snowbasin is fantastic. There's a huge variety of terrain, lots of bowls and ridges with every possible aspect, great lifts, great grooming, and FAR fewer people than Little Cottonwood Canyon. The downside from a skiing perspective, as you've already said, is that they get significantly less snow than the Cottonwoods. The upside is that when they DO get snow, it's not a mad feverish frenzy to ski it like you would see in Alta/Bird.

As bwipa says, however, you might get a lot more work at Snowbird or Alta than you would at Snowbasin, purely based on the number of skiers at each place. One of our active Epic members could tell you quite a lot about the ski school at Snowbasin. Hopefully he'll pm you to start a dialog.

Good luck with the choice and have fun in OOOtaw!
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranej View Post
great, thanks for the advice, especially on the job too. i've never skied snowbasin, i did notice they have more terrain than alta, but get less snow. As far as how challenging and diverse the terrain there is i have no idea, but i do know that they have been extremely personable and freindly towards me, even without a certification, and that is where im leaning towards going.
With out certification snowbird will be the only place that will hire you as instructor. alta will hire as an apprentice but you wont be full fledged teacher at atla. If snowbasin is willing to hire uncert though that cant be all bad. Plus you will get to ski alot I recommend skiing with our own 4ster(aka Jim) I promise you will learn mearly though trying to follow that guy.

and I will agree with Bob about getting something like Supershape if your teaching. the superfat cant wait till you decide to stay.

Are you planning on doing this as 1 year thing or multi year thing?
post #10 of 20
granted my experience in Utah is not as deep as Bush or Bob's, but 2 seasons ago I was there for 3 days and my only ski was a Mantra (94mm waist).

this season I was there for 6 days (mostly riding with Bush) and the only 2 skis I ever used were Lib Tech Freerides (99mm) and Spatulas (125mm). there was never a need for anything narrower (but then my Libby's have Magnetraction...). Keep in mind that i had 78 and 96mm skis along on the trip and they never saw action, but rather stayed locked up at Bush's pad the whole time.

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
the only 2 skis I ever used were Lib Tech Freerides (99mm) and Spatulas (125mm). tKeep in mind that i had 78 and 96mm skis along on the trip and they never saw action, but rather stayed locked up at Bush's pad the whole time.

Hmmm...decisions...decisions. Do I go with the 99's or the 96's.Tough one. In fact perhaps this should be a seperate entire thread. How do you decide. Perhaps an examination of the crystals under magnification? Maybe water density? Ask the deep snow guru BPA? Certainly a choice that needs to be made carefully. :
post #12 of 20
You must hit Snowbasin...even if it is just to use the bathroom.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
You must hit Snowbasin...even if it is just to use the bathroom.
Is there a lodge at the top ? That would be the one to use.
post #14 of 20
^^that "96" should have been an "86", thus making the decision a lot clearer...

the crux of my post, however, was that a person working in Utah probably doesn't need more'n 2 pairs of skis...one everyday in the '90s and one fatty for the blower. in fact that's all i used out in Cali all season, as well. The Libby's are a nice all-arounder that doesn't feel that fat but holds up well in mild pow.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
^^that "96" should have been an "86", thus making the decision a lot clearer...

the crux of my post, however, was that a person working in Utah probably doesn't need more'n 2 pairs of skis...one everyday in the '90s and one fatty for the blower. in fact that's all i used out in Cali all season, as well. The Libby's are a nice all-arounder that doesn't feel that fat but holds up well in mild pow.
well if he is working as anything but an instructor this is sound advice but teaching even 179 90mm ski can be awkward wedge turning all day(although I have done it) also for certification even if you can show the movements on those skis you will be failed at first site for not conforming to thier choices, which IMO is BS but is the way it is.

and yes Garry Z there is lodge on top of snowbasin...in fact multiple lodges on top of snowbasin serving gourmet food and pretty much the nicest bathrooms anyways.

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread...ight=Snowbasin

also the video has some nice shots of the lodges as well.
post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 
thanks everyone
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
and i need 5 posts to send a pm....so heres 5
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranej View Post
and i need 5 posts to send a pm....so heres 5
do it... PM XXXXXXXXX

Oh, and just save your money for your next investment. buy when in UT
post #19 of 20
agreed with Bush...SB has amazing bathrooms (but then they're owned by Sun Valley, who have a freakin' Day Lodge at the top of their mountain that looks like an 8-Star Hotel...I swear the time I was there they even had somebody to shine your boots in the men's room).
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranej View Post
and i need 5 posts to send a pm....so heres 5
Sorry, I've been busy & just saw this thread. moranej, feel free to PM me with any questions about Snowbasin. I've been hanging out there for a few years now.

Thanks,

JF
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion